• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wow ... .223 semi auto rifle prices are going up

masterskop

Checked out Cheaper than dirt .223 rifles this morning and found a Bushmaster .223 optics ready for a little over $1800. Usually, they go for $800 to just over $1000 depending on the dealer. I guess "price gouging" or "supply and demand" is going to run a lot of these rifle prices for a while?

77zach

You must have just come out of your bunker?

Go on gunbroker and look at the SCAR 17's.

Last edited:

masterskop

Been out of the bunker for about 3 months hehe ;) Was doing a little browsing online from time to time and my jaw dropped on that particular rifle. Not to say that I'm buying it ... just saw the price. I don't believe that the gun ban will take place at all. But, still those prices. I did go to gun broker and did look up the scar 17.... too high on those prices. I did see a rifle by S&W on gun broker that its price was between 1100 and 2100 depending on the seller. Wasn't too bad at all. I own all hand guns. Looking forward in buying my first semi auto rifle...if and when prices go down and availability goes up.

Freedom1Man

Been out of the bunker for about 3 months hehe ;) Was doing a little browsing online from time to time and my jaw dropped on that particular rifle. Not to say that I'm buying it ... just saw the price. I don't believe that the gun ban will take place at all. But, still those prices. I did go to gun broker and did look up the scar 17.... too high on those prices. I did see a rifle by S&W on gun broker that its price was between 1100 and 2100 depending on the seller. Wasn't too bad at all. I own all hand guns. Looking forward in buying my first semi auto rifle...if and when prices go down and availability goes up.

Build it yourself.

CDT COX

Cheaper Than Diamonds is a **** company and will never get my business.

masterskop

Build it yourself.

Thought about that...will look into prices vs quality.

Cheaper Than Diamonds is a **** company and will never get my business.

Haven't bought from them ... just went online window browsing. I'll not buy from them either. I did talk to a gun store owner in another state and found that their prices were high as well. I did email another company yesterday and they are out of the semi auto rifle that I am looking for, but they did say that they would not change their prices unless the distributor/manufacturer changes the price.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Props to Rguns

I ordered some AR lowers from Rguns on the evening of 12/14. The stripped lowers were only $99.00 and they are milspec. It took a month but they shipped me the order. Here we are about 2 months later and they're price has risen to only $115. They're taking backorders at this price. They're also offering complete lowers with nice furniture for around $240.

I have no affiliation with Rguns, but if I were to try and build an AR during these times, I'd start there.

motoxmann

cheaper than dirt is really inconsistent with their price gouging. it seems anything they can't keep in stock due to high demand and low supply, they just jack the price. but other items that are in even higher demand but still a somewhat steady supply, they keep their prices quite low, and sometimes are even lowering them further.

ie: AR accessories. even though these are selling like crazy, and they run out of stock of these occasionally, they haven't raised the prices. AR magazines though, my god they nearly quadrupled the prices of these. 15rd handgun mags are flying off the shelves, often getting a mass shipment in and selling out within minutes, yet they still have the lowest prices on these.

I say just do your research. some places may be better and/or cheaper than other places. and those same places may be worse and/or more expensive than others with other items, similar to CTD.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Build it yourself.

+1 Take your time, be patient & willing to wait, don't succumb to blind paranoia, source parts one by one. Backorder is fine.

In a couple months you'll have a rifle at basically the same price you would have paid to build it 6 months ago.

I know, because I helped a friend do exactly this with two builds so far (and started a new build myself with a few spare bucks). So far we haven't paid a premium for a single thing, and the last of everything should be in our hands within another 3 weeks or so.

Mags are going to be the hardest to get at reasonable rates.

Might consider placing a backorder for a 10-pack or two of Brownell's mags. Unless you want to pay $30-40/mag to satisfy your paranoia.

Last edited:

CDT COX

I ordered some AR lowers from Rguns on the evening of 12/14. The stripped lowers were only $99.00 and they are milspec. It took a month but they shipped me the order. Here we are about 2 months later and they're price has risen to only $115. They're taking backorders at this price. They're also offering complete lowers with nice furniture for around $240.

I have no affiliation with Rguns, but if I were to try and build an AR during these times, I'd start there.

I'm glad you got your order, but I must recommend to others not using RGuns.

Just google the name and you will see why.

georg jetson

I'm glad you got your order, but I must recommend to others not using RGuns.

Just google the name and you will see why.

LOl!!! Yep I've seen some of the complaints about Rguns. I called them to check on my first order and they were a bit rude. I don't recommend them because they're polite, but because they're not price gouging and they're products are quality. It was my 4th order and I always received exactly what I wanted. Mileage may differ I guess.

NoTolerance

It's not just CTD. Even private sellers are out of their minds with pricing right now. Go browse through the postings over at armslist. People are asking 1.5-2 times retail (if not more) for used firearms - pistols and long guns. It's enough to turn your stomach.

Freedom1Man

+1 Take your time, be patient & willing to wait, don't succumb to blind paranoia, source parts one by one. Backorder is fine.

In a couple months you'll have a rifle at basically the same price you would have paid to build it 6 months ago.

I know, because I helped a friend do exactly this with two builds so far (and started a new build myself with a few spare bucks). So far we haven't paid a premium for a single thing, and the last of everything should be in our hands within another 3 weeks or so.

Mags are going to be the hardest to get at reasonable rates.

Might consider placing a backorder for a 10-pack or two of Brownell's mags. Unless you want to pay $30-40/mag to satisfy your paranoia.

I was thinking about buying the long carbide endmills to do the deep pocket metal removal that it required on an AR type receiver.

Start with 'cheap' HSS drills to start most of the metal removal.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I was thinking about buying the long carbide endmills to do the deep pocket metal removal that it required on an AR type receiver.

Start with 'cheap' HSS drills to start most of the metal removal.

I've never finished an 80% (or less) lower. I'd like to, but I don't really have money to buy tools like that. So I just go 100%. They're out there, just gotta keep an eye out, or be willing to backorder and wait.

Aknazer

I ran across a KSG recently and they wanted $2k for it even though the MSRP is like $650. 30rd mags were as high as $45, and I don't even want to think what one would have charged for some of the 42rd mags that I have. All one can do is wait and hope the prices go down in the near future.

Freedom1Man

I've never finished an 80% (or less) lower. I'd like to, but I don't really have money to buy tools like that. So I just go 100%. They're out there, just gotta keep an eye out, or be willing to backorder and wait.

80%?
Naw, I was just going to form a piece of billet Aluminum into something that functions.

arentol

Checked out Cheaper than dirt .223 rifles this morning and found a Bushmaster .223 optics ready for a little over $1800. Usually, they go for $800 to just over $1000 depending on the dealer. I guess "price gouging" or "supply and demand" is going to run a lot of these rifle prices for a while?

Sit down before you read this...

For a few days CTD's price for that rifle was $2497.

I am not joking.