• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evil grin...gears turning.

mpguy

While Ocing in 7-11, a thought came over me...My taxes came back. I'm now thinking about going to Revolver Armorer, and do my first reloading shopping. :D

So while I take the first half of my day and do research, has anyone been buying the materials lately? Just curious how backed up the orders are compared to ammo as of lately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MainelyGlock

I don't personally reload, but at all the LGS here the aisles for supplies are all cleared out and have been for weeks.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've been told the primer hoarders have all stocked up. On a related note, I went into Virginia Arms Co. in Manassas a week or so ago. An employee caught me staring at the empty walls that used to be solid black, and asked if he could help me. I told him, "So that's what your walls really look like." Guns and Ammo Warehouse, across the street and somewhat to the South, had a couple of broken revolvers for sale.

mpguy

Well on the down side, they were closed today. On a better note, Suffolk Guns should be open tomorrow. May go rifle hunting.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well on the down side, they were closed today. On a better note, Suffolk Guns should be open tomorrow. May go rifle hunting.

If you run across any 10mm brass...let me know.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I just want to gripe a bit:

It really, really pisses me off that everybody has to hoard primers, components, and ammo whenever it's paranoia time.

I mean, really. Come on. They're not even going to manage to pass an AWB, much less have they even talked about banning ammo. And reloading would be literally the very last thing they would restrict. Most gun-ignorant types barely even know the first thing about ammo reloading/handloading, and it isn't on the hot list of Brady Bunch items to ban, so they remain blissfully ignorant.

And it's not like anybody's ever going to decide to painstakingly handload a bunch of brass to go commit a massacre. They'd build a bomb first. So we don't need to fear on that front.

I just want to practice. I live 1.5 miles from a free shooting range, and all I do is reload .45 ACP. That's it. I just want to shoot 100 rounds a week. Even 50 would be nice. I don't need a stockpile (at least not any more today than I did 6 months ago). I'm not just getting into it out of fear. I just want to practice.

So, publicly and for the record, to all primer and ammo hoarders out there (I'm sure at least one will read this thread):

[size=+2]**** YOU.[/size]. You're stupid, selfish, and you probably suck at shooting anyway.

That will be all.

MainelyGlock

I just want to gripe a bit:

It really, really pisses me off that everybody has to hoard primers, components, and ammo whenever it's paranoia time.

I mean, really. Come on. They're not even going to manage to pass an AWB, much less have they even talked about banning ammo. And reloading would be literally the very last thing they would restrict. Most gun-ignorant types barely even know the first thing about ammo reloading/handloading, and it isn't on the hot list of Brady Bunch items to ban, so they remain blissfully ignorant.

And it's not like anybody's ever going to decide to painstakingly handload a bunch of brass to go commit a massacre. They'd build a bomb first. So we don't need to fear on that front.

I just want to practice. I live 1.5 miles from a free shooting range, and all I do is reload .45 ACP. That's it. I just want to shoot 100 rounds a week. Even 50 would be nice. I don't need a stockpile (at least not any more today than I did 6 months ago). I'm not just getting into it out of fear. I just want to practice.

So, publicly and for the record, to all primer and ammo hoarders out there (I'm sure at least one will read this thread):

[size=+2]**** YOU.[/size]. You're stupid, selfish, and you probably suck at shooting anyway.

That will be all.

I know how you feel. A few weeks ago, I was planning on taking my little brother to the range and showing him how to use my AR. I went to buy targets and ammo, and the friggin shelves were empty! I never thought that a potential AWB would remove all the ammo from stock, but then again I was about 3 when the last one was put into effect. I have just enough 5.56 to fill my mags.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
[SIZE=+2]**** YOU.[/SIZE]. You're stupid, selfish, and you probably suck at shooting anyway.

That will be all.

I'd hord,,,,,,,If I could find anything to hord:uhoh:

I did just find loaded 10mm though. Ordered 500 rounds. Reloadable brass:monkey

Last edited:

stickslinger

I'd hord,,,,,,,If I could find anything to hord:uhoh:

I did just find loaded 10mm though. Ordered 500 rounds. Reloadable brass:monkey

I hoard everything. Brass, Ammo, Powder, Boolets, and YES! PRIMERS!

I also have 2000+ casings for .223 I'm cleaning up, and YES! I will hoard that too :monkey:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have just enough 5.56 to fill my mags.

Yup, that's what I got in .223 and .45.

It's really starting to, you know, frost my pickles.

Next time stuff is available (which will happen, once all the hoarders run out of storage space :rolleyes:), I'm going to adopt the policy of saving one box of primers for every box I load.

That way, I won't have to be an ass who hoards everything he can find when stuff is already hard to get, but I can have a reserve for the next time pro-gunners decide to de facto ban practice shooting, apparently for no other reason than because the anti-gunners couldn't manage to.

I tell you what, folks: if you want to let the anti-gunners win, just continue to make it impossible for newbies to get into shooting, like it is right now. Then the antis can win in a generation, two tops.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

FBrinson

I've been able to purchase 500 small pistol, 500 large pistol, and 500 large rifle primers from Bass Pro near Ashland in the last few weeks. The trick seems to be to get there early before everything is picked over. I'm guessing they stock at night since every time i've been able to find primers it has been before noon. Green Top only seems to have magnums every time I have found some on the shelf.
Brass is come and go at both BP and GT. Mainly only the lesser popular calibers have been instock. Although I did pick up some 9mm at BP 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen any .45 auto since the beginning of January.
Powders: Haven't seen any varget in a long time but bullseye, unique, and a few other popular flavors can be found every few days or so at GT.
Bullets: .355 forget it. .451 forget it. Ive seen some 10mm at BP and GT. Rifle bullets seem to be instock more frequently except .224. Found .308 and .277 instock on and off.
Dies: LMAO! Can't even get them at gun shows.
I can not speak about stores around Tidewater, but if you're around Richmond/Ashland area your going to have a hard time getting set up for reloading untill things calm down.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
marshaul you seem a bit testy because your immediate needs (more ammo) cannot be fulfilled. Some of us saw this coming. January and febuary will have dry shelves because they are sold out. I started putting that kind of stuff last year, well before the SH incident. Do not complain to us because you procrastinated and we did not.

By the way I hoard at the least a thousand rounds for each calibre weapon. Then I use my everyday ammo to practice, but the reloading machines will take care of that.

stickslinger

I've been able to purchase 500 small pistol, 500 large pistol, and 500 large rifle primers from Bass Pro near Ashland in the last few weeks. The trick seems to be to get there early before everything is picked over. I'm guessing they stock at night since every time i've been able to find primers it has been before noon. Green Top only seems to have magnums every time I have found some on the shelf.
Brass is come and go at both BP and GT. Mainly only the lesser popular calibers have been instock. Although I did pick up some 9mm at BP 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen any .45 auto since the beginning of January.
Powders: Haven't seen any varget in a long time but bullseye, unique, and a few other popular flavors can be found every few days or so at GT.
Bullets: .355 forget it. .451 forget it. Ive seen some 10mm at BP and GT. Rifle bullets seem to be instock more frequently except .224. Found .308 and .277 instock on and off.
Dies: LMAO! Can't even get them at gun shows.
I can not speak about stores around Tidewater, but if you're around Richmond/Ashland area your going to have a hard time getting set up for reloading untill things calm down.

I went south of the Ni on Saturday to those same places some reloading odd and ends. I guess I arrived too late as the shelves are still pretty bare in both of those stores. Almost as if everybody is hoarding or something :uhoh:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
marshaul you seem a bit testy because your immediate needs (more ammo) cannot be fulfilled. Some of us saw this coming. January and febuary will have dry shelves because they are sold out. I started putting that kind of stuff last year, well before the SH incident. Do not complain to us because you procrastinated and we did not.

By the way I hoard at the least a thousand rounds for each calibre weapon. Then I use my everyday ammo to practice, but the reloading machines will take care of that.

Don't give me that "saw it coming" crap. I'm a college student. I shoot every bit I can afford, but I simply can't afford at this point in my life to buy large quantities of ammo for no reason. If you think you're more prescient than I, you're wrong; I routinely ridicule the fact that some small proportion of gun owners feel the need, predictable as clockwork, to "stock up" around election time. The only difference is this time I can't even buy small quantities for practice, even when I really try. And that wasn't too predictable, as it's never happened before. Always in the past, normal self-defense shooters could at least buy a box of primers here or there, if not every day then at least every so often. Not now.

And what, exactly, did you "see coming", anyway? You realize the ammo market will go back to normal eventually, right? It's not like you staved off your demise due to lack of primers or anything. :lol:

Also, a thousand rounds isn't a big deal. I have over a thousand primers, a similar quantity of bullets, and several hundred loaded rounds in important calibers. I don't consider that a "hoard". I don't think you're the person I'm talking about. It doesn't sound like your stash is much bigger than mine.

I'm also not about to shoot my last thousand primers for practice before I can get more.

Last edited:

FBrinson

I went south of the Ni on Saturday to those same places some reloading odd and ends. I guess I arrived too late as the shelves are still pretty bare in both of those stores. Almost as if everybody is hoarding or something :uhoh:

I am fortunate enough to live within a few miles of both GT and BP. I am in one or the other at least every other day. It is only about once a week that I can find ANY reloading items I need (read: want to hoard).

stickslinger

I am fortunate enough to live within a few miles of both GT and BP. I am in one or the other at least every other day. It is only about once a week that I can find ANY reloading items I need (read: want to hoard).

There was also mention of other shops with shelves bare in this thread. On the way back through I stopped at Dawson's in Woodbridge. Same situation there as well. I was chatting with the fellow there and he said that nobody in the country has primers for sale right now.