• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evil grin...gears turning.

mpguy

I just want to do it to save money lol. Figuring after the rest of the equipment I need, I was only planning on buying a 1-2 ilbs. of powder, and enough of everything else to do about 500-1000 rounds of ammo. Still looking for a deal on a tumbler. Nothing is sticking out atm though.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I just want to do it to save money lol. Figuring after the rest of the equipment I need, I was only planning on buying a 1-2 ilbs. of powder, and enough of everything else to do about 500-1000 rounds of ammo. Still looking for a deal on a tumbler. Nothing is sticking out atm though.

I ended up going with the "Frankford Arsenal" tumbler. It's definitely one of the cheaper ones, but it seems like pretty decent quality to me. I works, and it hasn't failed after several hundred hours, so hey:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587176/frankford-arsenal-quick-n-ez-case-tumbler-110-volt (in stock)

You'll really want a sifter too, so you could get the combo:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...ry-media-separator-110-volt?cm_vc=subv1587176

However, that's like $40 for the sifter, which seems a bit much. Berry's sifter over at EAB is very high quality, and way less:

http://www.eabco.com/store/reloadin...sifter-and-media-separator-for-case-tumblers/

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
nobody in the country has primers for sale right now.

That's not really true. You do have to look and grab them when you find them. I stay well stocked on LPistol and LRifle but still buy them when I see them. You can substitute magnum primers if you reduce your loads and they show up often. Greentops had 2000 today.

I am not well stocked on SPistol or SRifle primers though, but have managed to pick up plenty in the last couple of weeks.

Just have to keep looking.

I wonder if an arrow shaft shortage is next?

Brass is just like primers, it is where you find it.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
**** them most of all.

2 - http://senseofevents.blogspot.com/2013/01/who-bought-all-that-walmart-ammo.html You are not gonna like what he says happened to the Wal-Mart ammo. But if they if fact did that, where is it?

stay safe.

Oh yeah, I've seen lots of profiteering. Mostly individuals with AR-15 components, but I've no doubt some shops got in on it, especially with ammo. And really, why not? Considering how utterly "I've got mine, so F you!" gun owners can be, hard to blame them for wanting to cash in.

**** them anyway.

Last edited:

SaltH2OHokie

If you run across any 10mm brass...let me know.

Me too. I had a bag ordered on Midway and they emailed 4 days later to say "sorry, we ran out, so we credited your card".

My 10mm has a terrible habit of smashing brass, so I have very few left that aren't beat to hell.

Also, regarding the hoarding...my buddy works for Remington and from what he's said, even at their ramped up production pace, don't expect a surplus of R-P ammo anytime soon thanks to ridiculous levels of backorders.

As an aside: I have 5,000+ pieces of 9mm brass if anyone has any 10mm brass they'd like to trade, (or loaded 10mm).

Regarding the profiteering...I think its bad, but its capitalism at its finest...supply vs demand. If someone wants to pay me twice what something is worth to me, then its sold. That said, I got a smoking deal on a brand new Bushmaster post-SH and if you think its going for sale just to double or triple my money, you're saddly mistaken (unless someone here is interested for 10k+, in which case, SOLD!)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Me too. I had a bag ordered on Midway and they emailed 4 days later to say "sorry, we ran out, so we credited your card".

My 10mm has a terrible habit of smashing brass, so I have very few left that aren't beat to hell.

Yep, that's one of the bad things about the 10...it's hard on the cases.
I have enough for carry and a little shooting now, tons of 40's, even more 45 acp and more yet...44 mag. so I have plenty to last me a while, I just hate these shortages.

If they made a barrel in 460 Rowland for the Glock, I'd be tempted to convert it. I shoot both 460 and 45acp out of my converted 1911.

mpguy

I don't plan on shooting much more, until I get the reloading supplies. I think I'm down to 300ish, maybe 400 rounds left. Wal-mart today posted a sign with in the past week, about only 3 boxes of ammo per purchase. Only thing they had, was rifle (not counting .223 & .22) and shotgun ammo, mostly 2-3/4 in various shots and slugs. Will note the 12 gauge Winchester PD slug round is collecting dust on the self there though. I'll be glad when this is over and things get back to normal.

I'll keep a eye for 10mm anything, but I'll have to recheck Deshiels, as I've never seen it in the store. There's also a Brass Pro Shop in Hampton? A co-worker of mind lives there. :p I'll see what I can dig up for y'all. Last time I went to Deshiels, they did have .22 LR but I think it was a a specialty shot. I'll have to recheck.

mpguy

Also, regarding the hoarding...my buddy works for Remington and from what he's said, even at their ramped up production pace, don't expect a surplus of R-P ammo anytime soon thanks to ridiculous levels of backorders.

As an aside: I have 5,000+ pieces of 9mm brass if anyone has any 10mm brass they'd like to trade, (or loaded 10mm).

Regarding the profiteering...I think its bad, but its capitalism at its finest...supply vs demand. If someone wants to pay me twice what something is worth to me, then its sold. That said, I got a smoking deal on a brand new Bushmaster post-SH and if you think its going for sale just to double or triple my money, you're saddly mistaken (unless someone here is interested for 10k+, in which case, SOLD!)

Can't you make a request to have the just keep the money, and fill the order when it becomes available? Speaking of 10mm I had a thought to check a place in Va. Beach for 10mm. Does this help?

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page112.html

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Can't you make a request to have the just keep the money, and fill the order when it becomes available?

Out of Stock, No Backorder - Product is not available for order, and we cannot offer a backorder option because the manufacturer is unable to provide us with a reliable "Date expected in stock." In most cases, this is due to unusually high demand or a lack of raw materials. As soon as we have reliable information, we will update the status of the product. In the meantime, please use our "Notify Me" feature to receive an email alert as soon as the product arrives.

SaltH2OHokie

Can't you make a request to have the just keep the money, and fill the order when it becomes available? Speaking of 10mm I had a thought to check a place in Va. Beach for 10mm. Does this help?

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page112.html

Tried that..."no backorders at this time" was Midway's response.

I live about 10 minutes south of Dashiells, so I stop from time to time on my way home. Haven't stopped lately because it takes me longer to park my truck than it takes them to say "we've got NUTHIN". Fella that works the gun counter at Dicks said its off the truck, and off the shelves within 45min. I'm not into the "mad-dash" style shopping, so I'm going to wait it out if thats my only choice. Bass Pro had some .40S&W last week when I was in there (work in Hampton, so on rainy days I find my way to West Marine, Bass Pro, etc.) but no full-size .40, nor components.

As for the Armory: If that online inventory is correct, next time I'm toward VB, I'm stopping for at least a few boxes. Trying to sort through some malfunctions on my 10mm and wouldn't mind a few brands of factory loads to eliminate ammo as the problem.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

lol, yup. It's as predictable as the sunrise; hard to be too mad about it. I might make a few bucks myself off an upper which is about to become redundant.

Still, in the "I've got mine so F you!" spirit of things, but due to my inability to say "F you!" by actually finding any primers to buy, I felt the need to literally say "F you!" to everyone instead. :lol:

mpguy

Out of Stock, No Backorder - Product is not available for order, and we cannot offer a backorder option because the manufacturer is unable to provide us with a reliable "Date expected in stock." In most cases, this is due to unusually high demand or a lack of raw materials. As soon as we have reliable information, we will update the status of the product. In the meantime, please use our "Notify Me" feature to receive an email alert as soon as the product arrives.

Ah, didn't see that, sorry boss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SaltH2OHokie

Still no brass (aside from what I produce in the afternoons shooting loaded ammo) but I did find that Wilcox had rediculously expensive carry 10mm...so I bought 1 box to try to rule out ammo as my problem with my 1911. Still would like to find some 10mm brass...and large pistol primers...

mpguy

Still no brass (aside from what I produce in the afternoons shooting loaded ammo) but I did find that Wilcox had rediculously expensive carry 10mm...so I bought 1 box to try to rule out ammo as my problem with my 1911. Still would like to find some 10mm brass...and large pistol primers...

Just got primers a few days ago. They had brass to at the store, but didn't ask what kind. I believe, I have everything, but the case trimmer. My dies are on back order, but paid for so, just waiting.

SaltH2OHokie

Bass pro has a decent selection of dies. Not sure what kind of press you bought, but they had a few different brands and calibers when I was by there earlier this week. Saddly nothing I needed, but still better than empty shelves.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Just got primers a few days ago. They had brass to at the store, but didn't ask what kind. I believe, I have everything, but the case trimmer. My dies are on back order, but paid for so, just waiting.

Wait, aren't you reloading .45 ACP?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Wait, aren't you reloading .45 ACP?

I don't know about him but for me:

45/70 pistol
460 S&W
45 COLT
45 ACP
45 AR
460 Rowland
44 MAG
44 spl
10mm
38 Super
9mm
38Spl
223 pistol
32-20

And the rifles

oh I forgot the 25-06 pistol

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I don't know about him but for me:

45/70 pistol
460 S&W
45 COLT
45 ACP
45 AR
460 Rowland
44 MAG
44 spl
10mm
38 Super
9mm
38Spl
223 pistol
32-20

And the rifles

My point was, he's getting into reloading, and I'm under the impression he's going to be doing .45, in which case a case trimmer is entirely superfluous.

Granted .223 is probably the second most common starter caliber, and you would need one for that, so maybe I'm deducing more than I ought.

Last edited: