• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Evil grin...gears turning.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My point was, he's getting into reloading, and I'm under the impression he's going to be doing .45, in which case a case trimmer is entirely superfluous.

Granted .223 is probably the second most common starter caliber, and you would need one for that, so maybe I'm deducing more than I ought.

They still need to be trimmed but that isn't a piece of equipment he needs right now.

stickslinger

I don't know about him but for me:

45/70 pistol (overkill)
460 S&W (overkill)
454 (overkill)
45 COLT (just right)
45 ACP (just right)
45 AR (overkill)
460 Rowland (overkill)
44 MAG (just right)
44 spl (no comment)
10mm (no comment)
40 (perfect)
38 Super (underkill)
9mm (underkill)
357 (perfect)
38Spl (soso)
380 (underkill)
223 pistol (fantasy)
32-20 (underkill)

And the rifles

oh I forgot the 25-06 pistol

There, fixed that for you :uhoh:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
They still need to be trimmed but that isn't a piece of equipment he needs right now.

The general consensus is that .45 ACP loaded to normal pressures will split before needing to be trimmed. Not saying that's gospel, but it's what most people do.

I can't see myself ever trimming a .45 case. I could just drive 1.5 miles down the road and pick up 50 more. ;)

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The general consensus is that .45 ACP loaded to normal pressures will split before needing to be trimmed. Not saying that's gospel, but it's what most people do.

I can't see myself ever trimming a .45 case. I could just drive 1.5 miles down the road and pick up 50 more. ;)

They will split if you don't anneal them. They last longer but will stretch.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
They will split if you don't anneal them. They last longer but will stretch.

Hah! So you anneal your .45 ACP brass, eh?

If I may ask, have you developed a procedure which is both effective and time-efficient, and doesn't require expensive specialized equipment?

Until this point I would have sworn such a thing did not exist.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hah! So you anneal your .45 ACP brass, eh?

If I may ask, have you developed a procedure which is both effective and time-efficient, and doesn't require expensive specialized equipment?

Until this point I would have sworn such a thing did not exist.

I anneal all my brass.

Fill a cake pan with enough water to cover the case heads and use a propane torch to heat the cases in the pan. As you heat one, tip it over in the water. All done!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I anneal all my brass.

Fill a cake pan with enough water to cover the case heads and use a propane torch to heat the cases in the pan. As you heat one, tip it over in the water. All done!

Clever. Very similar to what many people do, but I can't recall having heard that exact procedure suggested before. More importantly, it's the first one which convinces my engineer's mind it should actually work.

I feel like I read fairly extensively about all that too. Just goes to show how much fluff can be out there.

Props to you. I'll have to play around with that.

And with annealed .45, approximately how frequently do you trim? And how many trimmings do you expect good brass to last through?

mpguy

Bass pro has a decent selection of dies. Not sure what kind of press you bought, but they had a few different brands and calibers when I was by there earlier this week. Saddly nothing I needed, but still better than empty shelves.

I have a lee hand press. Nothing fancy. Until the family comes and gets there stuff out of the garage, I'm suck doing it in the house.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Darn it, all this talk is making me want to bust into my reserve stash of primers. :D

But I still haven't found more :( I was hoping to wait until I do.

I get an average of 21 loadings from new 45ACP brass annealed around load 7. I can't say how often I trim. I mic each case and the ones that are growing near max get tossed in a bin. When I have a bunch, I trim.

Last edited:

mpguy

I get an average of 21 loadings from new 45ACP brass annealed around load 7. I can't say how often I trim. I mic each case and the ones that are growing near max get tossed in a bin. When I have a bunch, I trim.

Do you use a manual trimmer?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Wolfhound

Ya know, I get the shortage of anything centerfire.....

But why has the world gone nuts on .22LR? This shortage is making our Appleseed Shoots rather a challenge. We average 4-500 rounds per shooter and unless the shooters stocked up in November, they are out of luck. Anyone wanting to shoot centerfire with us gets accused of flaunting their wealth. LOL I miss those days of long ago (last year!!!!!) when you could walk in to Wally World and buy bulk .22.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
But why has the world gone nuts on .22LR? This shortage is making our Appleseed Shoots rather a challenge. We average 4-500 rounds per shooter and unless the shooters stocked up in November, they are out of luck. Anyone wanting to shoot centerfire with us gets accused of flaunting their wealth. LOL I miss those days of long ago (last year!!!!!) when you could walk in to Wally World and buy bulk .22.

I understand the desire to hoard .22 LR even less than centerfire ammo.

I mean, wtf? Why? If they did ban ammo, what good is a dwindling, non-reloadable stash of practice ammo gonna do you?

Again, I still have a thousand or two .22, but I ain't gonna shoot it until I can buy more.

Frankly, all the damns hoarders still piss me off.

To hoarders: you've now, to date since Sandy Hook, prevented me from getting 4 new shooters into guns. At this rate they can kill the RKBA just by threatening impossible bans for the next 20 years. :rolleyes:

With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Last edited:

77zach

To hoarders: you've now, to date since Sandy Hook, prevented me from getting 4 new shooters into guns. At this rate they can kill the RKBA just by threatening impossible bans for the next 20 years. :rolleyes:

This is a very important point. There is nothing more powerful than bringing new shooters and gun owners into the fold.

I understand hording standard capacity mags because they're under threat (even though nothing will probably pass at the federal level). There is no threat of ammo bans or semi-auto rifle bans. Zip, nada.

stickslinger

.40 cal can be a bit finicky (at least an EMP 40) if the case size is too out of tolerance. I always trim new casings as they always seem to manufacturer them a bit too long.

For new brass, are you annealing before first use, or can that be done any time?
Just curious as I've never done that or even knew you really needed to.