• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying when you're not supposed too

donsadlerjr

How often do you carry when you're not Supposed to? Let's see you walk into a restaurant you don't notice a gun busters on your way in the door. Then leave the establishment and you noticed a gun buster sign on the door what do you do? What to do if somebody confront you about it just pick yourself up and leave or you hiding deeper so nobody can see it.

Kind of some of the stuff that I worry about daily. With all this going up it's kind of like they do that so that you won't. So then you'll forget to carry so then you leave it at home becuse your sick of leaving it in the car. Or Parking and walking all the way to the door to notice that the gun buster sign so then you turn around and have to walk all the way back to the car but you're going up and then walk all the way back to the doors and you can go into their stop

rushcreek2

I do travel between Colorado Springs/Arlington, Texas, and Choctaw, OK regularly to visit our kids, and grandkids on a fairly regular basis.

However, I haven't been into OK since November 1, 2012 .

Let me suggest something that has thus far worked well for me.

Develope a manner of presenting yourself that suggests that your armed condition is not a condition subject to review.

Perceptions ARE afterall 95 percent of most people's reality.

It may take many years for the average wool-bearer in our society to accept the armed citizen concept once again.

In the mean time, I believe it is progress in the direction of that objective even if our exhibition of the concept happens to be perceived as something other than the presence of an ordinary armed citizen.

We have an uphill struggle ahead in persuading the average sheep of the efficacy of being visibly armed. It may take a couple of generations to overcome the dumbing-down that has occurred in this country.

The law may declare that something is NOW "legal", but attitudes will require some time, and cultivation to catch up - and inculturate the fact.

Acceptance of any new concept is facilitated by its similarity to previously acquired perceptions.

MainelyGlock

I carry everywhere. No exceptions. Especially recently, I don't want to be caught off guard without it. You never know.

Keylock

I've gotten good at finding the gunbuster signs. When I spot one, I turn around and find an alternative business that isn't posted to spend my money. There are a couple of exceptions though... at Hooters I leave my primary arm in the vehicle and go in with an empty holster (which the managers have noticed)... and carry my backup arm concealed. At Charlestons (which tend to have dim lighting) I wear a sport jacket covering my primary arm.

MainelyGlock

I've gotten good at finding the gunbuster signs. When I spot one, I turn around and find an alternative business that isn't posted to spend my money. There are a couple of exceptions though... at Hooters I leave my primary arm in the vehicle and go in with an empty holster (which the managers have noticed)... and carry my backup arm concealed. At Charlestons (which tend to have dim lighting) I wear a sport jacket covering my primary arm.

I'd do the same for Hooters if they were allowed in Maine. My firearm would be the last thing on my mind if I went in there :shocker:

Frogman

Founder's Club Member
Carry All the Time

How often do you carry when you're not Supposed to? Let's see you walk into a restaurant you don't notice a gun busters on your way in the door. Then leave the establishment and you noticed a gun buster sign on the door what do you do? What to do if somebody confront you about it just pick yourself up and leave or you hiding deeper so nobody can see it.

Kind of some of the stuff that I worry about daily. With all this going up it's kind of like they do that so that you won't. So then you'll forget to carry so then you leave it at home becuse your sick of leaving it in the car. Or Parking and walking all the way to the door to notice that the gun buster sign so then you turn around and have to walk all the way back to the car but you're going up and then walk all the way back to the doors and you can go into their stop

I generally carry until someone says something which surprisingly seems to happen rarely, signed or not. It seems as though people don't mind as near as much as the anti-gunner's would have us believe. :p

Bullbuster

I may be reading into the OP here but it seems to me you are trying to see who will fess up to saying who cares about the gun buster signs I'm going to carry anyway. That sorta reply only fuels the anti movement in that WE law abiding citizen are no different than criminals in that we pay no attention to sign and will carry where ever we want.

Keylock

I may be reading into the OP here but it seems to me you are trying to see who will fess up to saying who cares about the gun buster signs I'm going to carry anyway. That sorta reply only fuels the anti movement in that WE law abiding citizen are no different than criminals in that we pay no attention to sign and will carry where ever we want.

Since I've been patronizing the two aforementioned businesses long before Nov 1 and CC'd all those years, I'll continue to CC for them. Anyplace else that I never visited before that date I'll abide by their choice as it applies to OC'g and take my money elsewhere. I've talked to the managers at Hooters about the issue but to no avail. With the new Twin Peaks coming in just a mile from my place, I'll be transferring my business to them as they do allow OC. Much closer than Hooters with similar scenery. :)

yoshieslunchbox

I expect people to respect my property rights, so I respect theirs in return. If they don't want me in their place of business because of the firearm I carry, I go somewhere else (OC or CC - doesn't matter). I'm free to consider their decision be foolish and reactionary, and I can protest the policy to both the owner and the public, but my beliefs don't give me the right to infringe upon their property rights. I won't walk past a gunbuster sign as if it didn't exist. The respect of rights must be mutual in a free society. In the public realm, nobody has the right to tell me to disarm. Private establishments are a different matter.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I expect people to respect my property rights, so I respect theirs in return. If they don't want me in their place of business because of the firearm I carry, I go somewhere else (OC or CC - doesn't matter). I'm free to consider their decision be foolish and reactionary, and I can protest the policy to both the owner and the public, but my beliefs don't give me the right to infringe upon their property rights. I won't walk past a gunbuster sign as if it didn't exist. The respect of rights must be mutual in a free society. In the public realm, nobody has the right to tell me to disarm. Private establishments are a different matter.

My opinion is that this is the attitude that any responsible licensee should have. Continuing to carry on purpose where you know it isn't wanted seems a little selfish to me. How can we expect others to respect our rights, when we aren't respecting theirs? Make no mistake, private property rights are among the most sacrosanct in our little republic.

Navycporet

My opinion is that this is the attitude that any responsible licensee should have. Continuing to carry on purpose where you know it isn't wanted seems a little selfish to me. How can we expect others to respect our rights, when we aren't respecting theirs? Make no mistake, private property rights are among the most sacrosanct in our little republic.

I tend to agree with Okie....new to forum and don't want to start an S#$t storm, but across the country there is a lot of chest thumping about restricting the rights of "law abiding citizens". Once we cross the line and ignore "no trespassing" or "no firearms" signs we are no longer said "law abiding citizens".
we don't get to decide that the second amendment trumps someones right to decide what happens on their property. we do get to choose whether we patronize an establishment which does not allow "law abiding citizens" to carry if obeying local firearms laws.

I get it....bad guys ignore signs....I choose not to become one of the bad guys by ignoring the same sign. Seems silly to me to risk losing CC permit over a hot dog or a movie.....

24 years "supporting and defending the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic" and I learned about good guys and bad guys....have yet to meet any "in betweens" I believe one is either law abiding or not.... rationalizing breaking the law doesn't change the breaking part.

It doesn't matter if "they" know I'm carrying illegally on their property......I would know.

Keylock

Since I view the Constitution as a corporate charter, I've got no concern about upholding it as it doesn't apply to the individual. It is a limit on the Corporation. Not the people.

As for carrying into a business, I consider whether that business is privately owned or corporate owned. If the former, I'll abide by the gun buster sign. If the latter, then when that corporation becomes a sentient being as I am... then I'll abide with their gun buster sign.

And not all laws are moral or right just because they are laws. A few states just passed "laws" to disarm people...