• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new member intro and OC story

wayfarer

Hi, my name is Cory (pause while waiting for AA style response). I live in Colorado Springs, and I just signed up, though I've been lurking for a few weeks now.

I've only OC'ed for a couple weeks, and already have a story to share !

I OC'ed last weekend to the Laundromat at Circle and Fountain, by Harbor Freight, without incident. Today I went back. Went in, set my baskets down, and went to the counter to get change. The little Asian lady in there says,
"You have gun?"

I say, "yes Ma'am"

she says "why you have gun?"

I say " It is legal in Colorado to have it. It is for self defense"

she says "No, it make me nervous. It make me and my customer nervous, you go to other laundromat"

so I did. I went up the street to the Valli Hi Laundromat, by Save a Lot. As I'm walking up, there's a visibly intoxicated man pi$$ing on the sidewalk! Inside, no one spoke English. Talk about "**** in the punch bowl!"

I picked a strategic spot to sit, got my wash done, and got the hell out ! MAN, I can't wait to get my washer going again (long story)

rushcreek2

Welcome Corey.

I'm assuming that you live in the vicinity of Fountain/Circle/Chelton/Airport - or you wouldn't be using a laundro-mat in that area.

Personally, I would recommend another area to broaden your open carry experience, because you are surrounded by potential armed robbers

My reason for suggesting this is that the particular area you are OC'ing in is ground-zero for armed robberies in COS.

Are you by any chance a recent combat veteran ? Just curious - because you have chosen an ideal location in which to engage "the enemy" - meaning your odds of having an opportunity to use your weapon in self defense is about 50/50 on any given day after the sun goes down in that ballpark.

I'm not questioning your wise choice to be visibly armed - just suggesting that the little Asian woman probably is a little gun-shy for good reason in that neighborhood.

I'm quite familiar with that area myself. I know that personal robberies are routine - particularly within 2 blocks of Fountain & Chelton.

Perhaps there are some ways to overcome the little Asian lady's initial "discomfort"by assuring her that you are only interested in keeping yourself, and those around you safer by displaying your weapon.

Last edited:

wayfarer

No, I'm not a combat veteran. I have no want to pick a fight. Only to defend myself if the need arises.

I do live near there, just a couple blocks south of Chelton, West of Academy.

I've lived in this neighborhood for many years, and my experiences in this neighborhood are quite different than you suggest. It is not a 50/50 chance of engagement after dark, or I would have been accosted long ago, as I am routinely out, in this area, well after dark. I'll admit that the area is full of "not caucasian" folks.

I do have to concede though, that the second place I went made me very uncomfortable, armed or not, and that I'm conflicted as to whether I would have rather CC'ed there (I do not have my permit yet, the main reason I am OC right now). In that case, the correct thing to do would have been to leave, and I didn't. Chalk it up to hindsight, and learning experience.

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Corey, I am very familiar with that area, and so is the CSPD. My step-son lived in that apartment just North of the 7-11 on Fountain & Chelton on the West side for a short while - spooky place.

The few good people residing there - more often than not illegal immigrants - are regularly preyed upon by resident vultures.

You're going to come across folks that are "uncomfortable" with your holstered handgun - simply because they are.

My feeling is that a person really needs the flexibility that the CHP will provide because there are simply times that concealment is advisable - if not required.

wayfarer

I agree with you that being able switch back and forth between OC an CC is desirable. I'll be there soon

There is about 12 square blocks or so over there that are REALLY nasty. I towed a few junk cars out of there years ago.

I do believe that there are differences between the "vultures" and their "preying" (and crimes of opportunity) , and a confrontation with a visibly armed person.

I'm totally open to opinions / critcisms / support here.....I've had firearms for self defense for many years (in the aforementioned tow truck, in my home, etc) but I am new to OC. Am I truly asking for trouble here ?

cch10000

Good response to "why do you carry a gun"

It makes My bullets go faster,,, nuf said no law no nuthin just facts

Last edited: