• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - Advanced age of gun rights opponents consistent with demographic shift

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/adv...s-opponents-consistent-with-demographic-shift

SNIP

Ever notice something about the leading political opponents of gun rights? Hint: They are really, really old.

Examples: Senator Dianne Feinstein (D - CA), 79. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D - DC), 75. Vice President Joe Biden (D), 70. Mayor Mike Bloomberg (R - NYC), 70. Representative Jim Moran (D - Alexandria), 67.

These political activists have been pushing their anti-gun rights agenda before most Americans were born. But over the last century, American’s views on gun rights have dramatically changed.

. . .

JoeSparky

Centurion
file.php

1USHOMRATE8511.png (13.6 KiB)

I don't know the source of the depicted graph as it was posted on a different gun rights forum. What I thought was interesting was the sudden rise in US homicide rate correlated with the beginnning of what is called the "PROGRESSIVE ERA". This SAME progressive era that many if not all these "gun grabbers" would seem to be associated with!

Not saying cause and effect just noting the timing.

Keylock

Excellent observation. I like to think that this upcoming generation is, in general, far more pro-liberty than the couple to precede it.

Depends on whether they're struggling to survive or sucking the public tit. Since most younger folks I come into contact are in the former group, I'd say that Liberty may once again see a revival. I avoid the latter group as they aren't worthy of my attention and tend to have the social skills of boars.

mpguy

I'm starting to believe its time to start putting a term limit on Congress seats.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I'm starting to believe its time to start putting a term limit on Congress seats.

YES!! YES!! This is Truth!! They should be members of the People, not professional politicians. In for a term and then back to your "real" job. The strom thurmonds that spend more time in congress than a great deal of people get to live. Term Limits Yes. Give congress BACK to the People.

rant over

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
YES!! YES!! This is Truth!! They should be members of the People, not professional politicians. In for a term and then back to your "real" job. The strom thurmonds that spend more time in congress than a great deal of people get to live. Term Limits Yes. Give congress BACK to the People.

Term limits are a start, but I've also come to feel that spending money on election campaigning (advertising etc.) should be considered election fraud. Nobody like Dianne Feinstein is elected for any other reason than money.

rushcreek2

I just thought that I would tap into this topic to share something that occurred to me today.

I have been mystified as to why states like NY, CO, CT, CA seem to be going ballistic passing laws that blatantly violate the Second Amendment ???? Surely these anti-2A people realize this nonsense won't get passed the SCOTUS.

I have missed the point.

They are looking AHEAD. Ahead to the SCOTUS after Obama gets through appointing 1,2,or 3 replacements.

The day WILL come IMHO when the only hope for the 2nd Amendment ....is the application of the 2nd Amendment.

There eventually comes a time when there is only one way to settle disagreements. The old fashioned way.

My tag line about my favorite quote by Sir Edmund Burke presupposes that a warranted, and measured action undertaken in response to extremism does not itself constitute extremism.

Last edited:

randian

It shot up right about the time automobiles became popular.
Which shouldn't surprise you. It's much easier to avoid conviction for murder when you do it in a neighborhood where the people don't recognize you, or you can claim you were many miles away at the time of its commission.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You all do realize that we have a number of crotchety codgers shuffling around this place?

I do not shuffle!

I dodder.

There's a difference.

I also disagree (slightly) with the supposition that the homicide rate correlated with the beginings of Progressivism. All three spikes more closely follow the decline in the size of the free government ice cream nozzle than the heady days of largess. Take away/reduce the amount the user class can get at the government teat and they (not all, only some) are going to figure out ways to get back to status quo ante on their own. Get in their way and you will be moved aside.

Now all y'all get off my lawn!

stay safe.

Silvertongue

Radical Thinking from a Young One

As the title suggests, I am young and just spouting off questions. If anyone has answers, please share them.

Why don't we have term limits? Or at least consecutive term limits?

Why do the people who write the laws get paid more than the people who enforce them?

Why does a member of the Senate or House get paid more than a high school teacher?

Why do members of the Cabinet get paid at ALL?

Why has political leadership become a career instead of a public service?

Finally, where have our priorities gone???

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
It shot up right about the time automobiles became popular. Ban Cars! :eek:

Which shouldn't surprise you. It's much easier to avoid conviction for murder when you do it in a neighborhood where the people don't recognize you, or you can claim you were many miles away at the time of its commission.

I also disagree (slightly) with the supposition that the homicide rate correlated with the beginings of Progressivism. All three spikes more closely follow the decline in the size of the free government ice cream nozzle than the heady days of largess. Take away/reduce the amount the user class can get at the government teat and they (not all, only some) are going to figure out ways to get back to status quo ante on their own. Get in their way and you will be moved aside.

You're both wrong. The answer is staring you in the face, and it's still going on today:

Prohibition.