• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed neighborhood in Chehalis takes care of itself

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Homeowner-shoots-intruder-190591971.html

Chehalis, Wash - A man who broke into an occupied home early Sunday in Chehalis was shot by the home's owner, the Lewis County Sheriff's Office says.
Deputies arrived at the home shortly before 5 a.m. to find one man with a gunshot wound.
Deputies say a 51-year-old man broke into the home where a 24-year-old man and his wife were sleeping. The owner called 911, then armed himself with a pistol while waiting for deputies to arrive.
At one point, the suspect charged down a hallway toward the homeowner, who fired a shot, hitting the suspect. The two men then became involved in struggle until the suspect was able to break free.
The homeowner held the suspect at gunpoint until deputies arrived.
KING 5 spoke with a man who also saw the suspect Sunday morning, rummaging through boxes on his patio. The man chased him away.

Brad Reynolds, a retired cop, runs the neighborhood watch.

"I think it proves the point that we need guns," he said. "I am armed. I am always armed."

"Everybody involved in the scenario last night was part of our neighborhood watch program with the exception of the guy laying in Harborview with a bullet in him,” he said.

Reynolds set up the watch because of a house he believes has had a steady stream of bad tenants. The suspect was living there, and told police he was on meth.

This is great, a positive article about Armed Citizens.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
It is so good to hear good news of a homeowner defending themselves and even better the vast majority of the neighborhood is armed as well, a great example of what our neighborhoods should be.

Only suggestion is the homeowner to practice followup shots a little more. :D

Munkey Butt

This is right down the road from us. I am still disappointing LE took 15 minutes to show up on scene. Had the homeowner also not been a gun owner things could have been worse.

1911er

good and not so good

The bad part is the bad guy will probably find some blood sucking lawyer( not that all lawyers are that way) and suit the home owner. Hint : One sided arguments are easier to win. To keep it OT I am ocing while typing this.

oneeyeross

In defense of the Sheriff's dept., Lewis County is almost the size of Delaware. They can't be every where. It takes them time to get from one place to another...also, since it was in the dark of night, they don't have a full crew on hand.

At least Sheriff Mansfield is supportive of people defending themselves.

FrayedString

This is right down the road from us. I am still disappointing LE took 15 minutes to show up on scene. Had the homeowner also not been a gun owner things could have been worse.

"When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away." We use that phrase when explaining to people why we carry, the same holds true for while you're at home in bed, or watching TV, etc. There aren't enough LEOs to park one on every street corner all night long just waiting for a criminal to show up.

15 minutes is quick !

+1

hermannr

Where I live, we had an emergency...lost altzheimers person..wandered off...freezing weather, no tracking snow.

The neighborhood (within about 2 miles we have about a dozen full timers) telephone guy, a couple PUD types and two of the families that live up here are border patrol...

It took the sheriff deputies, and Sheriff's S&R 45 min to get here, and an hour and a half to get themselves going. Ambulence and a town cop from Tonasket (20 miles) were here before the Sheriff was. (BTW: The Neighborhood people found the person, and got him down to the hospital with only minor frostbite and hypothermia) I must say, I was really surprised and very pleased to see that on duty Tonasket LEO come all the way up here to help. We may have a Tonasket mailing address, but he had no obligation to come up here.

Am I complaining? Heck no! I think that was good time, It's 50 miles to the sheriff's office, the last 5 miles are gravel and dirt road and a 2000' climb up the mountain. And as eveyone knows, Okanogan County is bigger than the state of CT.

We live where we want to live for the peace and quiet. Most of the full time residence up here are the same. One of the risks we take is we know that 30 min MINIMUM for any kind of LE response. We take that as part of the cost of our peace and quiet.

Last edited:

psbart

Quote from Lewis County Sheriff

from an article I found on Kirotv.com about this incident
"About the only thing I can say that the victim could have done differently (is that) he could have fired sooner, he could have fired more often, and he could have used a better brand of ammunition,"

pretty awesome sheriff!

Bigpapa

Now why come that somebody didn't tell the bg that the street you're on got guns somebody should have told him.:lol: Nice now if we can hear more of this the news put the word out then the bg will think twice, well maybe.