• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brand new here with ?'s

casper

Am I reading this right I can't transport my gun in a vehicle just to open carry it ? I can't carry open anywhere that has a liquor licence ? Also any advice on how to get a CPL after I've been denied ? I live in Ottawa county and they have a three person commitee that desides. Two of the three said no. There is "nothing" on the list of requirements that is on my record.:confused: Their reason was the catch all statement (possible harm or threat to self of someone else) I can't tell you why they said that, cause they won't tell me. Please help.:(

papa bear

CASPER, you might have wanted to post this in the MI forum. most of the question you want to know are state level

casper

Wrong spot.

Please read my post in the Law library section, I don't know how to move it.:confused:

--Moderator Note--
You cannot accomplished that.
I did it for you though and merged the two threads.

Last edited by a moderator:

xmanhockey7

Here is what was posted:
Am I reading this right I can't transport my gun in a vehicle just to open carry it ? I can't carry open anywhere that has a liquor licence ? Also any advice on how to get a CPL after I've been denied ? I live in Ottawa county and they have a three person commitee that desides. Two of the three said no. There is "nothing" on the list of requirements that is on my record. Their reason was the catch all statement (possible harm or threat to self of someone else) I can't tell you why they said that, cause they won't tell me. Please help.

Michigan is a shall issue state. If you meet all the requirements they shall issue you a permit. I'd say appeal it.

ETA: Read the stickies

Last edited:

DanM

Am I reading this right I can't transport my gun in a vehicle just to open carry it?

I'm not a lawyer, so all my following responses are a layman's based on the experience of many others. Consult with an attorney on these responses, if you feel you want professional legal confirmation:

Many non-CPL OC'ers transport their lawfully owned handgun in a vehicle just to open carry it. If you don't have a CPL, it is recommended that you not answer officer questions about where you are coming from or going to. Just politely state, "I don't wish to discuss my itinerary, sir." This is because there is a very low, but not non-existent, risk that a rogue officer will wrongly interpret the law as not allowing you to transport between points not on "the list" of examples in the law.

As a non-CPL, there are several laws that you MUST also be familiar with, pertaining to how to legally transport, places that are off-limits (including their parking lots), etc. Based on your asking a very basic question above, I think it's likely you don't know other things you need to know. I would recommend that your first open carry be done by meeting up with an experienced OC'er, following their guidance on the meet-up.

I can't carry open anywhere that has a liquor licence?

Without a CPL, you must have permission to OC from the owner or manager of the licensed establishment. Otherwise, yes it is off-limits. And it includes the entire property of the establishment, including parking lot. Also, note that you should assume that every place that sells any food or beverage (including grocery stores, gas stations, etc.) is liquor licensed unless you find out otherwise.

griffin

And it includes the entire property of the establishment, including parking lot.

MCL states "premises," and MLCC defines premises as the buildings and specifically in writing excludes all parking lots.

DanM

MCL states "premises," and MLCC defines premises as the buildings and specifically in writing excludes all parking lots.

I prefaced my response with "I'm not a lawyer, so all my following responses are a layman's based on the experience of many others."

The experiences of many non-CPL OC'ers I've heard is that they stay completely off the premises of liquor licensed establishments when OC'ing. I don't know if this is because in their opinion the MLCC definition of "premises" can't be applied to 750.234d, or they've found something else. All I know is every non-CPL OC'er I've heard says their guidance is to stay completely off the premises.

If I were a non-CPL OC'er, I would go with what I've heard from other non-CPL OC'ers unless you've got some firm citations of sources for your suggestion.

If a bunch of non-CPL OC'ers post here to update me with the current state of their situation, I'll go with that too, and update my layman's understanding of the experience that many others are having.

Last edited:

TheQ

I prefaced my response with "I'm not a lawyer, so all my following responses are a layman's based on the experience of many others."

The experiences of many non-CPL OC'ers I've heard is that they stay completely off the premises of liquor licensed establishments when OC'ing. I don't know if this is because in their opinion the MLCC definition of "premises" can't be applied to 750.234d, or they've found something else. All I know is every non-CPL OC'er I've heard says their guidance is to stay completely off the premises.

If I were a non-CPL OC'er, I would go with what I've heard from other non-CPL OC'ers unless you've got some firm citations of sources for your suggestion.

If a bunch of non-CPL OC'ers post here to update me with the current state of their situation, I'll go with that too, and update my layman's understanding of the experience that many others are having.

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.msg13009.html#msg13009

DanM

Thanks, Phil. casper, check that link out. Without a CPL and without permission to OC from an owner or manager, don't OC anywhere on a liquor licensed establishment until you've read what is at that link and have considered what MOC suggests you consider as far as your level of risk tolerance for becoming a test case and your level of funds for such a possibility.

MOC is a good website for you to use, as well, as you gain info and guidance on OC.