• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proactive Shooters Class

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We've had a lot of new people here that have asked about classes, especially CHP classes. Why go on an Open Carry Board to get that information is beyond me....but they do it.

So....If you're going to take a class, at least take a good one. (I have seen CHP instructors here that really need to go back to school.)

Several years ago I took Jim's class (and no, I wasn't going to get a CHP). I did a writeup about it in OVN. I was impressed with the whole presentation.

Today, I sat through the majority of one again (No, I'm not going to get a CHP).
If I was impressed the first time, I was blown away this time.

Everything has improved, his outline, presentation, demonstration tools, knowledge base...everything.

I couldn't rate it any higher.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
To clarify, are you planning on getting a concealed carry permit?

Presuming that "you" above refers to Peter Nap.

Not liable to happen unless OC were made illegal in Virginia.........and I'm not so sure even then.

IMO, what Peter is saying is that Jim's (Proactive Shooters Class) is a great place to start whether you are going to CC or OC + makes a great review class for someone like Peter who has seen a lot of water over the dam.

SaltH2OHokie

I don't reckon my sarcasm was properly conveyed :) one of the limits of "talking" without vocal inflections or facial expression.

Yes, I've gathered both through context and the clearly, and redundantly worded direct statements above, that he is opposed in principal to asking permission for a right. I also think things are far less black and white than that, though I fully agree in principal.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
We've had a lot of new people here that have asked about classes, especially CHP classes. Why go on an Open Carry Board to get that information is beyond me....but they do it.

So....If you're going to take a class, at least take a good one. (I have seen CHP instructors here that really need to go back to school.)

Several years ago I took Jim's class (and no, I wasn't going to get a CHP). I did a writeup about it in OVN. I was impressed with the whole presentation.

Today, I sat through the majority of one again (No, I'm not going to get a CHP).
If I was impressed the first time, I was blown away this time.

Everything has improved, his outline, presentation, demonstration tools, knowledge base...everything.

I couldn't rate it any higher.

Thank you for the wonderful comments!

Satisfied customers are our best advertising!!!

Thanks for coming out yesterday, and for the video work.

Jim

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I took Jim's class two years ago this coming May. Well worth the minor cost and the drive down. I just found out that a friend of mine has signed up, or is going to sign up, for an up coming class. Treat her right. She's a fine lady and a good friend.

Old Virginia Joe

My wife is part of a homeschool co-op and another lady at my church has another bunch of women who want to take a handgun class of the basic kind, as a group. WHO would y'all recommend down in the Western Tidewater area for me to line them up with? Don't see it as a CHP class per se, more of a basic gun/self-defense, mindset, legal type class for defense, whether concealed or open carry, for those who are not at the stage yet to decide what kind of carry and what style of holster to buy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
My wife is part of a homeschool co-op and another lady at my church has another bunch of women who want to take a handgun class of the basic kind, as a group. WHO would y'all recommend down in the Western Tidewater area for me to line them up with? Don't see it as a CHP class per se, more of a basic gun/self-defense, mindset, legal type class for defense, whether concealed or open carry, for those who are not at the stage yet to decide what kind of carry and what style of holster to buy.

Not to steal anybody else's thunder or tip over their rice bowl, and certainly not because Jim pays me lots of money for recommending his classes, but he will (so I have heard it said) travel for a group class.

If not Jim, then look for Refuse to be a Victim Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home class offerings. Go here http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx , select the desited class(es), and enter the ZIP code.

stay safe.

Last edited: