• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marines Were Disarmed for President Obama's Second Inaugural Parade

zack991

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...armed-marines-for-inaguration-parade-n1509511

http://youtu.be/NuJRf7HNVSog

“Didn't know the Marines had to take the bolts out of their rifles for the Inaugural,” an email forwarded to Gun Rights Examiner from a United States Marine Corps source observed. “Wonder if someone can explain why [they] would be marching in the inaugural parade with no bolts in their rifles!”

The email linked to a YouTube video of the 57th Presidential Inaugural Parade, embedded in this column, featuring Bravo Company Marines from the Marine Barracks Washington. Sure enough, the observation in the email is confirmed by watching the video, with screen shots provided in the photo and slide show accompanying this article.

“The bolts have been removed from the rifles rendering them unable to fire a round,” the post stated. “Apparently Obama’s Secret Service doesn’t trust the USMC. Simply searching each guy to make sure he didn’t have a live round hidden on him wasn’t enough, they had to make sure the guns were inoperable.

Wondering if this may be an inauguration policy of long standing that transcends administrations, Gun Rights Examiner made a cursory search and found something even more curious. In the 2009 Inaugural Parade, the United States Navy marched with rifles that had not been so disabled (see 1:24 into that video plus the final slide).

You learn something everyday, thanks gear up.

Last edited:

gearup

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...armed-marines-for-inaguration-parade-n1509511

http://youtu.be/NuJRf7HNVSog

Some have claimed they were blank firing guns. From my understanding they still have a firing pin, but are designed to fire blanks, but it shows they feel a threat of someone in the military. Sounds like they dont even want them to even have the ability to fire blanks, but you wouldn't need to remove the firing mechanism if there were blank firing guns. Simply it is disgusting to treat the military men and woman who have Pride and Honor in wearing our country's uniform and to be treated like this. It certainly shows the distrust that this administration has, they can trust these men and woman to die overseas for "freedom" but does not trust them to have a bolt in their rifles in a parade. Simple we can go back a forth on the protections of the president, but if you dont trust them to have bolts in their weapons then dont have them in the parade. This is spiting in their faces by publicly showing the world you dont even trust the military to march in a parade to show respect for the Commander and Chief.

TIN FOIL HAT ALERT

These are "parade rifles". The bolts, ammunition, and often times the entire trigger mechanism is removed to make the rifle lighter. Also they are also cleaner as no oil and powder residue means no stains on those pretty dress uniforms. It appears you have NEVER been in the military and had to march in parade. Every ounce counts and in this case it is actually a few pounds. I have seen this posted all over the interwebs and it is frankly a little concerning. Those of us that are really in support of our 2A rights are looking like idiots. I think we all need to take a deep breath and put a stop to these MYTHS and RUMORS. It surely is not helping our cause. I do not support Obama and these libs any more than the next guy here, but we at least have to deal in facts. If not we are just as bad as they are.

nobama

TIN FOIL HAT ALERT

These are "parade rifles". The bolts, ammunition, and often times the entire trigger mechanism is removed to make the rifle lighter. Also they are also cleaner as no oil and powder residue means no stains on those pretty dress uniforms. It appears you have NEVER been in the military and had to march in parade. Every ounce counts and in this case it is actually a few pounds. I have seen this posted all over the interwebs and it is frankly a little concerning. Those of us that are really in support of our 2A rights are looking like idiots. I think we all need to take a deep breath and put a stop to these MYTHS and RUMORS. It surely is not helping our cause. I do not support Obama and these libs any more than the next guy here, but we at least have to deal in facts. If not we are just as bad as they are.

Dang, you took the wind out of my sail. I was gonna say obama doesnt trust anyone eccept his boot licking commie freinds, but you are correct.

eye95

I am glad I waited to respond. Some folks jerk their knees a lot. I like to get a few more facts first.

I hate everything Obama stands for. I will continually criticize him roundly, but only when he deserves that criticism. Unusually, he doesn't this time.

Thanks for the record straightening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am glad I waited to respond. Some folks jerk their knees a lot. I like to get a few more facts first.

I hate everything Obama stands for. I will continually criticize him roundly, but only when he deserves that criticism. Unusually, he doesn't this time.

Thanks for the record straightening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Your disappointment is duly noted!:shocker:

zack991

TIN FOIL HAT ALERT

I stand corrected, I have served for quiet a long time and I have personally never used a parade rifle and have no experience in using them. I have done a number of parades and we only used our m16's and m4's with out a magazine in the weapon. I will edit my post to correct my first opine now knowing this, I guess my mistrust of this Administration got ahead of me and I should have taken the time to wait and see before I let my feelings get ahead of me.

Last edited:

gearup

I stand corrected, I have served for quiet a long time and I have personally never used a parade rifle and have no experience in using them. I have done a number of parades and we only used our m16's and m4's with out a magazine in the weapon. I will edit my post to correct my first opine now knowing this, I guess my miss trust of this Administration got ahead of me and I should have taken the time to wait and see before I let my feelings get ahead of me.

It's all good. The M-16 and M-4 you carried was lighter loaded than the empty M-1 Garrand those fine Marines were toting. Hence the need to lighten them up a bit.

WalkingWolf

TIN FOIL HAT ALERT

I would like a citation to back up your claim that the bolts were removed for weight. I find this assumption absolutely ridicules, as we are talking about marines. Marines have been on parade details here with fully functional rifles though not loaded. Before you go calling people names and invoking the famous tin foil hat put up some facts to back it up. I say you are full of bovine excrement on this one.

Hell I have seen Air Force honor guard with bolts in their rifles, and with all due respect they are not marines.

Last edited:

gearup

I would like a citation to back up your claim that the bolts were removed for weight. I find this assumption absolutely ridicules, as we are talking about marines. Marines have been on parade details here with fully functional rifles though not loaded. Before you go calling people names and invoking the famous tin foil hat put up some facts to back it up. I say you are full of bovine excrement on this one.

Hell I have seen Air Force honor guard with bolts in their rifles, and with all due respect they are not marines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_Purpose_Rifle

Stop being part of the problem. Do your own research next time. The United States military when NOT in theater is the MOST firearm phobic entity on the planet. NOBODY drills with a live or even real firearm. Hell when we stood quarterdeck watch our 1911's were not even allowed to be loaded, even during the Gulf War. No loaded weapons, even on watch.

Drill rifles are made to be lighter to reduce fatigue. Drilling and Parading is for SHOW. Most drill / parade rifles are not even real....meaning REPLICA. I have had duty dressing parade rifles for the US Navy.

United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon is one exception that performs with standard M1's but they are non functioning units. Not just unloaded.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_Purpose_Rifle

Stop being part of the problem. Do your own research next time. The United States military when NOT in theater is the MOST firearm phobic entity on the planet. NOBODY drills with a live or even real firearm. Hell when we stood quarterdeck watch our 1911's were not even allowed to be loaded, even during the Gulf War. No loaded weapons, even on watch.

Drill rifles are made to be lighter to reduce fatigue. Drilling and Parading is for SHOW. Most drill / parade rifles are not even real....meaning REPLICA. I have had duty dressing parade rifles for the US Navy.

United States Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon is one exception that performs with standard M1's but they are non functioning units. Not just unloaded.
BS again, that link was for a drill purpose rifle, and those do have bolts in them. Honor guard have to be able to fire rifles for certain details, so they are fully functional rifles, that fire blank ammunition. I still have those casings from my fathers funeral. You are trying to claim it is for the weight reduction like marines are some kind of pussies. You insult all the services especially marines, absolutely disgusting.

Again I ask for a memo or a standing order that Marines use rifles without bolts because for weight reduction.

Snip~~The Drill Purpose Rifle is a definition given to a rifle which has been altered so that it can no longer be fired. Instead it is used solely for drill purposes, training and teaching usually by cadet forces.

YOU obviously have never been in the military!

Last edited:

Snazuolu

I cant speak for the Marines, but as a former airman who was part of the base' honor guard team, we NEVER removed anything from the m1's.. NEVER. The same ones we used at funerals firing blanks, we used in all our parades.

gearup

This is also common to all presidents. Bolts are removed at ALL presidential events. We are running out of foil.

WalkingWolf

I cant speak for the Marines, but as a former airman who was part of the base' honor guard team, we NEVER removed anything from the m1's.. NEVER. The same ones we used at funerals firing blanks, we used in all our parades.

It is his contention that the bolts were removed for weight that I find so offensive. It is just downright silly and stupid to claim that the rifles need to be lightened for MARINES.

WalkingWolf

This is also common to all presidents. Bolts are removed at ALL presidential events. We are running out of foil.

So back it up with cites and pictures Mr, Makeitup. Every parade I have seen the bolts were in the rifles, back up the claim that they were removed for weight, otherwise you just made it up.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...These are "parade rifles". The bolts, ammunition, and often times the entire trigger mechanism is removed to make the rifle lighter. Also they are also cleaner as no oil and powder residue means no stains on those pretty dress uniforms. It appears you have NEVER been in the military and had to march in parade. Every ounce counts and in this case it is actually a few pounds.....

Okay, I don't know anything about the details of what happened recently.

But I WAS in the military and was in MANY long parades in front of top brass. We did not carry lightened "parade rifles." We carried 10-pound M1 rifles that were made inoperable, but could be restored with the correct parts. There was no weight shaved. You could dry-fire these rifles, and even get "Garand thumb" if you screwed around with it.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

Considering WHAT they were carrying, and where they were, I doubt it really matters. It wasn't an affront to you or them, it was a f'n parade and they were there for appearances, not function. At least they were carrying real rifles rather than the plastic replica/parade rifles. Those who are making a mountain out of this particular molehill are the ones doing whatever harm is being done, not the secret service nor the president.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Last edited by a moderator:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Considering WHAT they were carrying, and where they were, I doubt it really matters. It wasn't an affront to you or them, it was a f'n parade and they were there for appearances, not function. At least they were carrying real rifles rather than the plastic replica/parade rifles. Those who are making a mountain out of this particular molehill are the ones doing whatever harm is being done, not the secret service nor the president.

You are so caught up in your blind hatred of our president that you sound like a *****. You are obviously enough of a man to carry a 10 pound gun around all day. Good for you, but I don't think our Marines need you to pick up the slack for them and tell people how tough they are, Mr. Internet Ninja.

Please clarify whom you are insulting. Thank you.

WalkingWolf

Please clarify whom you are insulting. Thank you.

I am not sure either, I didn't mention carrying around a 10 pound rifle, and neither of us mentioned the president. It was the contention that the marines had rifles without bolts because of weight was what I considered bovine scatology. Obviously neither nut case knows what they are talking about.

And requesting a citation has absolutely nothing to do with being a ninja. If people are going to support a a$$hole like Obama they need to grow a thicker skin.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

I am not sure either, I didn't mention carrying around a 10 pound rifle, and neither of us mentioned the president. It was the contention that the marines had rifles without bolts because of weight was what I considered bovine scatology. Obviously neither nut case knows what they are talking about.

And requesting a citation has absolutely nothing to do with being a ninja. If people are going to support a a$$hole like Obama they need to grow a thicker skin.

It was directed at you. MAC posted while I typed - I was going to fix that oversight, but figured y'all would ask.

I'm not supporting "Obama", I am supporting "the President". He has the job, and we have to live with that for a few more years, so why be miserable for no good reason? Save the misery for the real issues, like the AWB, mag limits, economic problems, and progressive politics.

When Mr. Obama was running for this job the first time, he made it clear that while he supported state and local gun control, he felt that it wasn't in the purview of the federal government. President Obama obviously has been convinced to abuse the office and do otherwise, since he can never really run for political office again. Kind of a "power corrupts" sort of thing.