• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun law Lawyer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

casper

Does anyone have a name of a gun law Lawyer near Holland that could help me with a CPL appeal ? Does anyone know roughly what I'm going to have to spend ?

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Does anyone have a name of a gun law Lawyer near Holland that could help me with an appeal ? Does anyone know roughly what I'm going to have to spend ?

Casper - If you send the Q a private message PM. He may tell you the steps you can take without hiring a lawyer to get this heard in front of a judge. If you have no criminal record that would keep you from having a CPL or have never been judged mentally unfit etc... The judge will simply issue a order for the board to grant your CPL. Have you made some kind of political enemies with the board members or one of their cronies maybe? Or do you have a crazy Ex who is writing them letters telling them you are the next son of sam killer in waiting...? Taking what you posted on its face this sounds like some sort of payback/lesson being taught by those who swore an oath to uphold the law - then quickly forgot it...:eek: Many gun boards in MI play games it sounds like yours maybe one of them.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Yes - the easy way to do that is to go to a thread he just posted in (new sb59 concerns) and click on his name next to the little circle that will be green if he's logged in. He knows all the technical jargon - but basically you have to know the Latin name of the court document to file. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheQ

An appeal for what?

I'd not suggest anyone tackle the legal system without representation without a lawyer unless you are well studied on applicable laws, case law, and court procedures.

casper

Ok, thanks Phil. In the future guys, please no jokes. This is very important and serious to me, thanks. :)

davidmcbeth

Banned
Ok, thanks Phil. In the future guys, please no jokes. This is very important and serious to me, thanks. :)

Well, a lawyer is likely going to cost between 3K-10K .... may Q can offer some pro-se advice

My advice, if you have never been through an administrative procedure, is if a lawyer will take 1K for the entire case process then jump on it -- READ your retainer agreement well and understand it.

TheQ

Well, a lawyer is likely going to cost between 3K-10K .... may Q can offer some pro-se advice

My advice, if you have never been through an administrative procedure, is if a lawyer will take 1K for the entire case process then jump on it -- READ your retainer agreement well and understand it.

I'm not in the business of teaching law or administrative procedures -- either for free or for profit.

I feel comfortable enough with my own understanding I'd probably handle my own personal CPL appeal proceeding. I don't intend to get in the business or practice if teaching others what I've learned thus far.

Sound dickish? Sorry. I've spent hundreds of hours in my own research and understanding. I have neither the time, energy, nor inclination to impart that into others.

Q isn't anyone's personal genie. =\

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm not in the business of teaching law or administrative procedures -- either for free or for profit.

I feel comfortable enough with my own understanding I'd probably handle my own personal CPL appeal proceeding. I don't intend to get in the business or practice if teaching others what I've learned thus far.

Sound dickish? Sorry. I've spent hundreds of hours in my own research and understanding. I have neither the time, energy, nor inclination to impart that into others.

Q isn't anyone's personal genie. =\

Doesn't sound "dickish" to me ....

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
Here's my pro-se advice: Hire an attorney.

An attorney worth his salt will provide a complimentary consultation either in-person or over the phone. If he's a gun lawyer, he'll tell you in that consultatino what your chances of winning are (and in the arena of CPLs, case law is pretty cut-and-dry).

If he thinks you'll win an appeal then pay the man and get your CPL.

If he thinks you'll lose it, then you're out the $105, and that's all she wrote. You're wasting your own time to appeal yourself.

If it's not worth it to you to hire a professional, then you can take your chances without one. $3k is the cost of doing business with an attorney.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's not a matter of worth it, I would pay it if I had it.

If you are looking for a free services you won't find any .... learn the process yourself ... its generally not an outrageous process -- they follow pretty normal admin procedures and it should be somewhat documented on the process.

good luck

This is why I don't think that ANY permit should be required -- we have a right to keep and BEAR arms ... there should be no hurdles in these activities

Status
Not open for further replies.