• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcycle

frogfish

So I know several people here ride and OC. I was wondering if anyone has been profiled and pulled over for OCing because of being on a motorcycle?

Thanks

PS. Looking to get into the realm of streetbikes like I always wanted to. Looking at a fightered 636. Rode dirt bikes as a kid.

NC-Heel

I think it would be hard to notice while riding. If someone were to spot a pistol how much attention are they paying to the road? Also with right handed people pistol is not visible to oncoming traffic. The main question I get when riding is when I stop somewhere and someone asks if I am afraid my pistol will fall off.

kidaquarius

I haven't been on the forum since I moved to NC, but back home in Michigan riding a motorcycle and OCing was illegal.
The act of riding the motorcycle, similar to a car, deemed the carry "concealed".
I should really have looked at NC's open carry rules before posting this, but admittedly I did not.

*UPDATE: I went over the NC open carry rules/regulations and you can open carry in your car/motorcycle. Knowledge is power - I should've read up on this prior to posting. But hey, now you guys know that you can't OC in your vehicle in Michigan. :p

Last edited:

jrj_51

I open carry on my bike every day and I can assure my pistol has never been the reason for a stop. 80 miles round trip to work in Sanford from Fayetteville.

frogfish

Thanks for the reply guys! I plan on OCing everywhere on the bike like I do right now, so I'm not worried about being stopped. Just wondering if it has happened to people before.

Thanks

dmatting

The only issue I have ever had while OCing and riding my motorcycle was when I got caught in a downpour. I had to transfer from OC to CC (under my leather jacket). So the CHP came in handy for that situation.

jrj_51

The only issue I have ever had while OCing and riding my motorcycle was when I got caught in a downpour. I had to transfer from OC to CC (under my leather jacket). So the CHP came in handy for that situation.

+1,000

carolina guy

clear ziplock bag over pistol?

bc.cruiser

If you're worried about your powder getting wet, or the gun rusting, maybe it's time to upgrade........;)

jrj_51

If you're worried about your powder getting wet, or the gun rusting, maybe it's time to upgrade........;)

How about water and road grime getting into the insides of your pistol and having to give ot a deep clean as soon as you get home. Maybe somebody should do a torture test by putting a pistol (steel or polymer) at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket of road runoff for a week. Any volunteers?

NC-Heel

How about water and road grime getting into the insides of your pistol and having to give ot a deep clean as soon as you get home. Maybe somebody should do a torture test by putting a pistol (steel or polymer) at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket of road runoff for a week. Any volunteers?
It's already been done. Google "torture test GLOCK". All I carry.

jrj_51

It's already been done. Google "torture test GLOCK". All I carry.

Done with road runoff? Including all the oils, fluids, dirt, debris and tobacco spit that mixes in with the rain? Will a pistol last for years with repeated and regular exposure to those things, not just shoot 10,000 rounds a week later?

Last edited:

nikogto

Old thread I know, what about colder weather riding, my HD leather coat is quite long, when I wear just my vest, I can tuck the vest behind the pistol so it's clearly visible, colder weather, I'll stick it inside my rear tourpack till I get to work and install in my holster. What do you guys do in the colder months??? Thanks.

solus

Old thread I know, what about colder weather riding, my HD leather coat is quite long, when I wear just my vest, I can tuck the vest behind the pistol so it's clearly visible, colder weather, I'll stick it inside my rear tourpack till I get to work and install in my holster. What do you guys do in the colder months??? Thanks.

don't ride my scoot?

kinda defeats the purpose for SD if you look at the bad-guy and say... "excuse me can you hang on and wait a moment as i have to get my pistola out of my tour bag, then i will be able to whoop up on your butt..."

seriously tho, only option i could even imagine is a shoulder holster worn on the outside of your name brand leather coat!!

oh ya, get a CHP and life is good, your pistola is nice and dry and available under your coat and you are legal.

ipse

Bearfoot

@nikogto----One thing for colder weather is whether you wear a full body suit or chaps. Both present their own unique challenges. Another thing to consider is the type of handwear you choose. Padded for winter vs. thin, or none, for summer. Just like using hantools in the shop, your firearm will feel different when you wear gloves. Oh yeah, don't forget about riding in the rain. It is either tough it out and keep going, or pullover and drag out the rain gear. I have had to deal with all three weather situations, hot-cold-rainy, or a combination thereof during daytime and nighttime excursions. However you ride and carry, be alert and stay safe.

Oh yeah, my method of carry is a leather belt worn outside all my gear.

Last edited: