Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Nature calls in Public

When Nature calls in Public

OK, you're OC'ing and Nature decides that it's time to find a restroom and "take a seat".

What are some of the methods out there that are used to protect your firearm from:

Public View under the stall partitions?

From a "Gun Grab" by either some "toe tapping politician" in the adjoining stall or someone passing through?

From the nastiness that can sometimes be on the floor surround a public toilet?

I recall someone I once knew placing his pistol on the 'coat hook', hanging by the trigger guard whenever he had to use the public facilities.

Any unique methods out there that could be shared?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    OK, you're OC'ing and Nature decides that it's time to find a restroom and "take a seat".

What are some of the methods out there that are used to protect your firearm from:

Public View under the stall partitions?

From a "Gun Grab" by either some "toe tapping politician" in the adjoining stall or someone passing through?

From the nastiness that can sometimes be on the floor surround a public toilet?

I recall someone I once knew placing his pistol on the 'coat hook', hanging by the trigger guard whenever he had to use the public facilities.

Any unique methods out there that could be shared?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YOvYrzb3o

I also do not suggest hanging or setting the firearm from anything in the stall, makes it too easy for forget.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I set it in the crotch of my pants.
    Live Free or Die!

Cornered Cat has written about this.
    See the top 2 essays on this page - Portapotty Protocol & Public Restroom Procedures.

Several of her tips which are applicable to men too:
    Try to get the stall with a wall on your strong side.
    Unless there is absolutely no other option, NEVER hang it on a hook or set it on some ledge.
    Try dropping your pants & rebuckling the belt above your knees before you sit down. That keeps the holster/pistol off the floor, and usually above the bottom of the door.

Specifically for men - at a urinal, stand with your strong side to the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

public restrooms

This has worked for me for concealed carry and I think it applies equally well for OC:

Upon unbuckling my belt and lowering the zipper I fold my trousers and belt and pistol to the inside, then fold again, before I sit down. This completely conceals the pistol and holster inside a twice-rolled 'top' of the trousers. No one can see the pistol or holster.

An additional benefit is that the trousers now usually rest atop the tops of my shoes, not on the restroom floor (which sometimes is less than clean). If necessary I raise the zipper a little to ensure that the trousers do not droop onto the floor. This is similar to re-buckling, but the the pistol wrapped inside the rolled top of the trousers.

If anyone was looking under the stall partition they probably think that I am fastidious about keeping my trousers off the floor.

When using a urinal I extend my right elbow (strong side) slightly rearward into a partial 'hand on hip' position but with the elbow rearward instead of sideways. This covers and guards my strong side (3 oclock) pistol and holster. Most guys avoid looking closely at other guys during visits to the restroom.
    Last edited by liberty404; 02-12-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: unnecessary
    Don't make me hungry, you won't like me when I'm hungry.

I'm confused. How far down do you take your trousers, and why does this come up all the time? My pants only get down to my knees when I sit down and I don't let them go further, I don't let them fall all the way to the floor....public restroom floors aren't exactly "clean" in any sense of the word....

Maybe it's just me, and I'm being silly....but I am confused..

Re: When Nature calls in Public

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeross View Post
    I'm confused. How far down do you take your trousers, and why does this come up all the time? My pants only get down to my knees when I sit down and I don't let them go further, I don't let them fall all the way to the floor....public restroom floors aren't exactly "clean" in any sense of the word....

My feelings exactly.
    Sometimes I also re-buckle my belt around my knees just to hold up my pants. Gun stays in the holster where it belongs unless I need it.

Wear a kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    Wear a kilt.
    I actually have a few friends who do this. I have no idea how they handle undergarments and do not need to know.

Banned
    I just hold it .... mind over matter

Wear a kilt.
    Traditional or modern? They are different beasts after all.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I set it in the crotch of my pants.
    This
    www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar
    Pants down, flip the elastic band of underwear over pistol grip to hide it and support it from flopping on the floor.

Paddle holster for OWB and/or clip IWB - I unclip with the firearm still fully holstered. Either put in boxers or on shelf if one exists.

Alternatively, if I have a strong side wall, just stretch pants with legs and pin firearm to wall.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Tony Blair's body guard left gun in Starbucks Bathroom stall

In Starbucks in the UK of all places.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/sep/04/london?

Yes, you are. There are FAR far more germs on the restroom door handle than the floor OR the seat.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the easy, obvious solution:

Find a Starbucks.

It's Seattle(ish) for crying out loud. You can't go 10 feet from your front door without tripping over one, even in BFE. They always have "unisex" type bathrooms with a locking door and are generally pretty clean. So you can do whatever you need with your gear and no one will bother you. AND they're certified OC-friendly.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...while-carrying

That thread has lots of pictures too.
    Last edited by sharkey; 02-13-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Yes, you are. There are FAR far more germs on the restroom door handle than the floor OR the seat.
    I've done enough microbiology in my day (and a lot of that on stool samples) to know you are wrong on this one, but I'll let it go....

I've done enough microbiology in my day (and a lot of that on stool samples) to know you are wrong on this one, but I'll let it go....
    According to this you are correct sir.

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/wha...rmsinrestrooms

(I didn't know netscape still existed)
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

what are public restrooms?
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    Now I'm going to start calling you shitbreak.

I was going to put a clip here from American Pie but um, none would pass muster.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    Well, in Pioneer Square they're also called "Doorways". Does that help?

More to the topic, IWB I wrap the waistband of the pants around the holster, OWB with a paddle holster it stays put pretty well since I usually wear a very stiff Bladetech belt. Either way I leave the belt above the knees - never got into that drop everything to the floor bit.

Re: When Nature calls in Public

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    Well, in Pioneer Square they're also called "Doorways".
    +1
    I hate going down there just because of the smell.

Wear a kilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flopsweat View Post
    I actually have a few friends who do this. I have no idea how they handle undergarments and do not need to know.
    Simple, they don't wear any.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Another option; wear some sort of shoulder bag to put that OC into during nature call. For the guys that are fearful to be seen carry a "man bag" or a "murse" get over it.

• Camera bag
    • Newspaper bag a.k.a. newsboy bag
    • Messenger/courier bag
    • "CCW' bag

These things are handy for carrying all kinds of other useful stuff and could easily turn into a miniature survival or a "bug out" bag.

• Food/Water
    • Phone & charger
    • Keys
    • First aid
    • Tablet computer
    • Camera
    • Audio recorder
    • Multi-tool
    • etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast