• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When Nature calls in Public

amlevin

OK, you're OC'ing and Nature decides that it's time to find a restroom and "take a seat".

What are some of the methods out there that are used to protect your firearm from:

Public View under the stall partitions?

From a "Gun Grab" by either some "toe tapping politician" in the adjoining stall or someone passing through?

From the nastiness that can sometimes be on the floor surround a public toilet?

I recall someone I once knew placing his pistol on the 'coat hook', hanging by the trigger guard whenever he had to use the public facilities.

Any unique methods out there that could be shared?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
OK, you're OC'ing and Nature decides that it's time to find a restroom and "take a seat".

What are some of the methods out there that are used to protect your firearm from:

Public View under the stall partitions?

From a "Gun Grab" by either some "toe tapping politician" in the adjoining stall or someone passing through?

From the nastiness that can sometimes be on the floor surround a public toilet?

I recall someone I once knew placing his pistol on the 'coat hook', hanging by the trigger guard whenever he had to use the public facilities.

Any unique methods out there that could be shared?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YOvYrzb3o

I also do not suggest hanging or setting the firearm from anything in the stall, makes it too easy for forget.

MKEgal

Cornered Cat has written about this.
See the top 2 essays on this page - Portapotty Protocol & Public Restroom Procedures.

Several of her tips which are applicable to men too:
Try to get the stall with a wall on your strong side.
Unless there is absolutely no other option, NEVER hang it on a hook or set it on some ledge.
Try dropping your pants & rebuckling the belt above your knees before you sit down. That keeps the holster/pistol off the floor, and usually above the bottom of the door.

Specifically for men - at a urinal, stand with your strong side to the wall.

liberty404

public restrooms

This has worked for me for concealed carry and I think it applies equally well for OC:

Upon unbuckling my belt and lowering the zipper I fold my trousers and belt and pistol to the inside, then fold again, before I sit down. This completely conceals the pistol and holster inside a twice-rolled 'top' of the trousers. No one can see the pistol or holster.

An additional benefit is that the trousers now usually rest atop the tops of my shoes, not on the restroom floor (which sometimes is less than clean). If necessary I raise the zipper a little to ensure that the trousers do not droop onto the floor. This is similar to re-buckling, but the the pistol wrapped inside the rolled top of the trousers.

If anyone was looking under the stall partition they probably think that I am fastidious about keeping my trousers off the floor.

When using a urinal I extend my right elbow (strong side) slightly rearward into a partial 'hand on hip' position but with the elbow rearward instead of sideways. This covers and guards my strong side (3 oclock) pistol and holster. Most guys avoid looking closely at other guys during visits to the restroom.

Last edited:

oneeyeross

I'm confused. How far down do you take your trousers, and why does this come up all the time? My pants only get down to my knees when I sit down and I don't let them go further, I don't let them fall all the way to the floor....public restroom floors aren't exactly "clean" in any sense of the word....

Maybe it's just me, and I'm being silly....but I am confused..

Cremator75

I'm confused. How far down do you take your trousers, and why does this come up all the time? My pants only get down to my knees when I sit down and I don't let them go further, I don't let them fall all the way to the floor....public restroom floors aren't exactly "clean" in any sense of the word....

My feelings exactly.
Sometimes I also re-buckle my belt around my knees just to hold up my pants. Gun stays in the holster where it belongs unless I need it.

Tawnos

Paddle holster for OWB and/or clip IWB - I unclip with the firearm still fully holstered. Either put in boxers or on shelf if one exists.

Alternatively, if I have a strong side wall, just stretch pants with legs and pin firearm to wall.

Metalhead47

Yes, you are. There are FAR far more germs on the restroom door handle than the floor OR the seat.;)

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the easy, obvious solution:

Find a Starbucks.

It's Seattle(ish) for crying out loud. You can't go 10 feet from your front door without tripping over one, even in BFE. They always have "unisex" type bathrooms with a locking door and are generally pretty clean. So you can do whatever you need with your gear and no one will bother you. AND they're certified OC-friendly. :banana: