Thread: Criminal record ?

Criminal record ?

If I get a copy of my criminal record, will it be the same thing the gun board looks at ? Will it throw up a red flag to request it ?

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    If I get a copy of my criminal record, will it be the same thing the gun board looks at ? Will it throw up a red flag to request it ?
    Your question smells like you've got some smelly past incidents in your life. I'll proceed on that assumption:

If you are in front of a gun board, you should assume that *everything* is known by them. There's no need to get a copy of your records to try and guess what they might know. Just assume they know everything that you know, and be prepared to honestly and positively answer their questions about anything. Being prepared means that you have thought about all likely questions and your answers to them, and that those answers do not smell like deception, indicate a lack of taking responsibility, or indicate you have not learned and improved yourself to the point of being no risk to society.

You do not have to volunteer information, so you should let them ask their questions and you respond honestly and positively, but keep a tight focus on answering their question and don't get chatty.
    Last edited by DanM; 02-12-2013 at 11:35 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Criminal record ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Your question smells like you've got some smelly past incidents in your life. I'll proceed on that assumption:

If you are in front of a gun board, you should assume that *everything* is known by them. There's no need to get a copy of your records to try and guess what they might know. Just assume they know everything that you know, and be prepared to honestly and positively answer their questions about anything. Being prepared means that you have thought about all likely questions and your answers to them, and that those answers do not smell like deception, indicate a lack of taking responsibility, or indicate you have not learned and improved yourself to the point of being no risk to society.

You do not have to volunteer information, so you should let them ask their questions and you respond honestly and positively, but keep a tight focus on answering their question and don't get chatty.
    If you've never been convicted if a felony, never been involuntarily committed, and haven't had any misdemeanors in the past 8 years, you should be good to go.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post

No their is nothing, but I was denied in Ottawa county and they won't give me the reason other than they checked the box for reason #(2) (I'll have to look up what it said again) It's a catch all statement, and Ottawa county is anti-gun. (Issuing a licence would be detrimental to the safety of the applicant or to any other individual.) So I want to see what their looking at.No I don't have a smelly past, just a few interactions with the police where I should have pled the 5th. We are a small town, and my parents always told me to tell the truth, and the police were our friends. I've done nothing illegal. Around here if you do anything, it's the end of the world. I'm not bashing the police, as it's the truth.
    Last edited by casper; 02-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.

On another note, I have a chance to move to Allegan, one County over, they are pro-gun with no gun board. If I do will they see this as a chess move just to get a CPL ?

Criminal record ?

No their is nothing, but I was denied in Ottawa county and they won't give me the reason other than they checked the box for reason #(2) (I'll have to look up what it said again) It's a catch all statement, and Ottawa county is anti-gun. (Issuing a licence would be detrimental to the safety of the applicant or to any other individual.) So I want to see what their looking at.No I don't have a smelly past, just a few interactions with the police where I should have pled the 5th. We are a small town, and my parents always told me to tell the truth, and the police were our friends. I've done nothing illegal. Around here if you do anything, it's the end of the world. I'm not bashing the police, as it's the truth.
    Did you appeal their denial, as is your legal right?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

TheQ, I did not. I had no idea what I was in for at the time. I want to re apply and go from there. I just don't know about cost, if I "need" a lawyer, if I lose I'd have to pay all court casts for both sides. I'd be fighting the people that said no, who's the judge going to tend to side with ?

my parents always told me to tell the truth, and the police were our friends.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Ouch.

I was just reading the MI posts, since WA has a reciprocity agreement and I am planning a trip there soon. My question is, is the "gun board" used for all applicants, or is the board screening only certain applicants?

And, no, probably, ... the board may have more records to look at than you get by using a police records check. They (at least here in WA) may have a copy of your "triple I" as well and know if you were handled by police even if not charged. Requesting your own copy of reports shouldn't be recorded on that, if you check on your own.

Everyone in Ottawa county goes before the board.

Criminal record ?

TheQ, I did not. I had no idea what I was in for at the time. I want to re apply and go from there. I just don't know about cost, if I "need" a lawyer, if I lose I'd have to pay all court casts for both sides. I'd be fighting the people that said no, who's the judge going to tend to side with ?
    Under current law you can be held liable for costs if the appeal was frivolous. Since they didn't even tell you why you were denied, I don't see how your appeal could be found to be frivolous

They can be held liable for your cost if the denial was "arbitrary and capricious".

IANAL, this isn't legal advice, YMMV.