• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S 308 Restaurant Carry

John Canuck

I'm out of the state at a funeral, but I hope at least one person can make this and report back.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/agendas/agns540.htm

Subcommittee on S.308

SENATE JUDICIARY
SUBCOMMITTEE MEETING

S.308
(Firearms)

Wednesday, February 13, 2013
10:00 A.M.
Room 105, Gressette Building

Subcommittee Members: Senators Massey (Ch.), Coleman, Nicholson, Bennett, Shealy
Staff: J. J. Gentry

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 1:21 P.M.

John Canuck

It's time to start making calls.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/02/14/2631614/sc-senate-proposal-to-allow-guns.html#.UR1T1Mi9Kc1

Sen. Brad Hutto, D-Orangeburg, said he, and likely others, will oppose the bill when it reaches the full Judiciary Committee.

Hutto also said he would rather people who find themselves in danger “call 9-1-1. We don’t need individuals trying to straighten out that kind of thing.”
Restaurant owner David McMillan agrees.

Senator Hutto needs to be reminded that the response time for the police when one calls 911 is not "instant".

John Canuck

Last edited:

moonie

http://www2.wspa.com/news/your-side/201 ... r-5630298/

S-308 passed out of committee yesterday with a 15-7 (y-n) vote.

There is a poll at the above link. Lets hit it. Currently at 66% to 34% in favor.

It's not in this article, but Katrina Shealy said in the committee meeting that she had received 864 emails and only one was against S-308. Emails send a message.

Your link is broken

John Canuck

Last edited:

nrowensby

It's time to flood the inboxes of all Democrat Senators. That is of course, if anyone cares...

Emails in route! :D

For some reason, everyone against the bill seems to bring up bars and overlook that restaurants are the main issue here.

Bar-owner's seem to think that CWP's are going to bust out their HG's every time a bar-fight breaks out... I really think these guys need to go attend a CWP class and realize that law-abiding people carrying HG's tend to have more sense than to pull out their gun everytime something doesn't go exactly their way.

Dem's are trying to make CWP carriers out to be some type of wannabe-super-hero or wannabe-cop, when in reality, we only want to protect ourselves and our family.

And if these bar/restaurant owners really don't want law-abiding CWP's in their place of business, all they have to do is post a PROPER/LEGAL sign barring their weapons. That's the funny thing about most CWP carriers, they tend to follow the laws and if they legally can't carry, they will not (well, most likely, they'll just go somewhere they can).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Emails in route! :D

For some reason, everyone against the bill seems to bring up bars and overlook that restaurants are the main issue here.

Bar-owner's seem to think that CWP's are going to bust out their HG's every time a bar-fight breaks out... I really think these guys need to go attend a CWP class and realize that law-abiding people carrying HG's tend to have more sense than to pull out their gun everytime something doesn't go exactly their way.

Dem's are trying to make CWP carriers out to be some type of wannabe-super-hero or wannabe-cop, when in reality, we only want to protect ourselves and our family.

And if these bar/restaurant owners really don't want law-abiding CWP's in their place of business, all they have to do is post a PROPER/LEGAL sign barring their weapons. That's the funny thing about most CWP carriers, they tend to follow the laws and if they legally can't carry, they will not (well, most likely, they'll just go somewhere they can).

They overlook/ignore that OK Corral, wild west shoot outs have not occurred in states where such carry is legal. Facts are not their friends; therefore they resort to hyper emotional lies.

An overwhelming number of states allow carry in these facilities - sad to say that SC is out of sync.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=150

nrowensby

They overlook/ignore that OK Corral, wild west shoot outs have not occurred in states where such carry is legal. Facts are not their friends; therefore they resort to hyper emotional lies.

An overwhelming number of states allow carry in these facilities - sad to say that SC is out of sync.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=150

We are one of only five states that allow CCW but restrict them from these facilities? SMH... Hopefully that will all change in weeks to come!

Last edited:

John Canuck

Legislative update re: S 308

Senator PEELER moved that the Bill be made a Special Order.

The "ayes" and "nays" were demanded and taken, resulting as follows:

Ayes 26; Nays 15
AYES
Alexander Bennett Bright
Bryant Campsen Cleary
Corbin Courson Cromer
Davis Fair Gregory
Grooms Hayes Hembree
Leatherman Martin, Larry Martin, Shane
Massey O'Dell Peeler
Shealy Thurmond Turner
Verdin Young

Total--26
NAYS
Allen Coleman Ford
Jackson Johnson Lourie
Malloy McElveen McGill
Nicholson Reese Scott
Setzler Sheheen Williams
Total--15
Having failed to receive the necessary vote, the motion to make the Bill a Special Order failed.

John Canuck

S 308 will be heard by the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday at 9:00.

I have a suspicion there will be a group who wants to pressure the committee to amend the bill and remove the curfew portion of the bill. What they won't be telling people is that if the bill gets amended, it goes back to the Senate. I don't have the rules in front of me, but sending an amendment back to the Senate on S 308 is likely to cause it to not progress any further... at least, in my opinion.

Do I like the silly curfew? No. I think it's a poor idea from anti-gun pin heads. However, S 308 has already made it through the Senate, where anti-gun forces tried hard to kill it. Sending it back for them to take another swing seems like a bad idea to me.

I'll be calling every member on the House Judiciary Committee and telling them to pass it to the House for a vote as-is.

John Canuck

Correction: It will be heard by the General Laws Subcommittee.

​Hon. Derham Cole, Chairman​​​​​​
Attorney: Patrick Dennis
​Hon. Dan Hamilton
​Hon. Joe McEachern