Thread: Pistol Purchase Question

Pistol Purchase Question

I have a concealed carry license from Alabama and according to the reciprocity laws NC honors it since I am stationed in NC. My question is if I go to buy a pistol, would my concealed licence from Alabama count the same as a NC permit or would I need to get a pistol purchase permit? According to Onslow County I have to get a letter from my CO saying it is ok if I buy a pistol. Then they will issue me a pistol purchase permit. It is a long hassle and pain in the ass and I am trying to avoid it.

1. Your CO does have to ok you getting the gun. (CRAP!)
    2. NC recognizes your AL CHP for the purpose of carrying a handgun. You must still obtain a PPP from your local sheriff to buy (from any source); the CO's letter and/or assignment orders will satisfy the residency requirements.

Welcome!
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 02-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.

The reciprocity is for carry only. Still going to need the PPP.
    "I'm kinda high (or maybe low) profile around here, to hate on me is just sour grapes." - NCHeel

"Nuts" followed by "You can go straight to Hell." Jake from Jericho

Thanks for the info and the replies.

Re: Pistol Purchase Question

You need permission to buy a gun? Good grief!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Pistol Purchase Question

Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    You need permission to buy a gun? Good grief!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    i thought that a background check handled the "permission" or does the sheriff keep a tally on who has purchased guns?

this is retarded...
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    i thought that a background check handled the "permission" or does the sheriff keep a tally on who has purchased guns?

this is retarded...
    The background check is done when the PPP is obtained. After that all that is done is fill out the form 4473 hand over the PPP and go home with the gun. Unless it is a long rifle then the PPP remains with the buyer, and there is no background check. Actually though I don't like the idea of the PPP, it makes the purchase of a handgun much easier, especially at gun shows where it is common for insta checks to come back delayed. Same for long guns, cuts down on the fuss at shows.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

can you guys that say you can't use an out of state CHP, give a cite for that. also i would like to see where you must have your CO permission
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/ac...lpermitapp.pdf

Here is the link to the pistol purchase permit page on Onslow Counties website. It is on the second page near the top. It says in order to purchase a pistol you must follow Base Bulletin 5500 and have a letter of recommendation for you CO.

http://www.mcieast.marines.mil/Porta...BO_5500.1G.pdf

Here is the link to MCB order 5500. It deals mostly with on base firearms ownership and living in base housing and in the barracks. But even if you live off base you have to get this recommendation letter. There is a sample letter a few pages down that shows what all it should say. Onslow County and Camp Lejeune are always in cahoots trying to limit stuff around Jacksonville.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    can you guys that say you can't use an out of state CHP, give a cite for that. also i would like to see where you must have your CO permission
    http://www.ncdoj.gov/About-DOJ/Law-E...-2006-(2).aspx

Page 3 and 4.

Specifies NORTH CAROLINA concealed carry permit for the purchase of a handgun or a pistol purchase permit from the sherriff of the county of which the purchaser resides.

Pistol Purchase Question

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The background check is done when the PPP is obtained. After that all that is done is fill out the form 4473 hand over the PPP and go home with the gun. Unless it is a long rifle then the PPP remains with the buyer, and there is no background check. Actually though I don't like the idea of the PPP, it makes the purchase of a handgun much easier, especially at gun shows where it is common for insta checks to come back delayed. Same for long guns, cuts down on the fuss at shows.
    i am educated now ty
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

The PPP is a Jim Crow law that was designed to keep guns out of the hands of Blacks who were being threatened by the KKK. Mo. adopted the same law at the same time and just got rid of it 4 years ago.
    NC still has Jim Crow around it's neck.
    cw

Quote Originally Posted by seaweaver View Post
    The PPP is a Jim Crow law that was designed to keep guns out of the hands of Blacks who were being threatened by the KKK. Mo. adopted the same law at the same time and just got rid of it 4 years ago.
    NC still has Jim Crow around it's neck.
    cw
    Agree, but unless they fix insta check, it is still better than dealing with the delays at time of purchase. Maybe they should make the system optional for people who do not want to stand around all day waiting for background check to clear.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Might be easier to take a trip back to AL and do your purchases??
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Well the way I figure it I have two options. I could go back to Alabama and buy my firearms, or since my wife is a resident of NC and not in the military, I could just get her to got get the PPP and buy it for me.

You're better off with going home and getting it. Less hassle and paper trail.

ps: Why are Biden and B Hussein at the bottom of this page?
    Last edited by .40 Cal; 03-01-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahabandit View Post
    Well the way I figure it I have two options. I could go back to Alabama and buy my firearms, or since my wife is a resident of NC and not in the military, I could just get her to got get the PPP and buy it for me.
    Your second option you mention is illegal. It's called a straw purchase. Silly, I know, but it's there, especially if you word it like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Your second option you mention is illegal. It's called a straw purchase. Silly, I know, but it's there, especially if you word it like you did.
    i am not an attorney
    sorry roto, according to atf guideance, that could be an acceptable transaction since it would be presented as a give from partner to to family member. where it becomes straw man transaction is if the buying party knows they other person is not allowed to posses a firearm per se...

buyer must disclose it is a gift....

wabbit

ps...how on earth would our youn`s get their firearms if not as gifts from the caregivers
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    i am not an attorney
    sorry roto, according to atf guideance, that could be an acceptable transaction since it would be presented as a give from partner to to family member. where it becomes straw man transaction is if the buying party knows they other person is not allowed to posses a firearm per se...

wabbit

ps...how on earth would our youn`s get their firearms if not as gifts from the caregivers
    +1
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ncwabbit View Post
    i am not an attorney

wabbit

Excellent points, thank you. This is correct, although I do know of at least two places in town that will not sell to a person if they hear trhough conversation that you are buying for another.

Gander Mountain almost did not sell a shotgun to my son because he mentioned that he might be buying it for me for xmas. When they guy said if that's true then he couldn't sell it to him lol. But yes, you are correct. My apologies for any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by .40 Cal View Post

ps: Why are Biden and B Hussein at the bottom of this page?
    Where do you see this at?

It's a an add for Personalliberty.com. Some lib BS site. I guess I have been "targeted" by their robots.