• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Purchase Question

Bahabandit

I have a concealed carry license from Alabama and according to the reciprocity laws NC honors it since I am stationed in NC. My question is if I go to buy a pistol, would my concealed licence from Alabama count the same as a NC permit or would I need to get a pistol purchase permit? According to Onslow County I have to get a letter from my CO saying it is ok if I buy a pistol. Then they will issue me a pistol purchase permit. It is a long hassle and pain in the ass and I am trying to avoid it.

bc.cruiser

1. Your CO does have to ok you getting the gun. (CRAP!)
2. NC recognizes your AL CHP for the purpose of carrying a handgun. You must still obtain a PPP from your local sheriff to buy (from any source); the CO's letter and/or assignment orders will satisfy the residency requirements.

Welcome!

Last edited:

PFC HALE

You need permission to buy a gun? Good grief!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

i thought that a background check handled the "permission" or does the sheriff keep a tally on who has purchased guns?

this is retarded...

WalkingWolf

i thought that a background check handled the "permission" or does the sheriff keep a tally on who has purchased guns?

this is retarded...

The background check is done when the PPP is obtained. After that all that is done is fill out the form 4473 hand over the PPP and go home with the gun. Unless it is a long rifle then the PPP remains with the buyer, and there is no background check. Actually though I don't like the idea of the PPP, it makes the purchase of a handgun much easier, especially at gun shows where it is common for insta checks to come back delayed. Same for long guns, cuts down on the fuss at shows.

papa bear

can you guys that say you can't use an out of state CHP, give a cite for that. also i would like to see where you must have your CO permission

Bahabandit

http://sheriff.onslowcountync.gov/acrobat/pistolpermitapp.pdf

Here is the link to the pistol purchase permit page on Onslow Counties website. It is on the second page near the top. It says in order to purchase a pistol you must follow Base Bulletin 5500 and have a letter of recommendation for you CO.

http://www.mcieast.marines.mil/Portals/33/Documents/Adjutant/Orders/05000/BO_5500.1G.pdf

Here is the link to MCB order 5500. It deals mostly with on base firearms ownership and living in base housing and in the barracks. But even if you live off base you have to get this recommendation letter. There is a sample letter a few pages down that shows what all it should say. Onslow County and Camp Lejeune are always in cahoots trying to limit stuff around Jacksonville.

JABEACHFAN

PFC HALE

The background check is done when the PPP is obtained. After that all that is done is fill out the form 4473 hand over the PPP and go home with the gun. Unless it is a long rifle then the PPP remains with the buyer, and there is no background check. Actually though I don't like the idea of the PPP, it makes the purchase of a handgun much easier, especially at gun shows where it is common for insta checks to come back delayed. Same for long guns, cuts down on the fuss at shows.

i am educated now ty :)

seaweaver

The PPP is a Jim Crow law that was designed to keep guns out of the hands of Blacks who were being threatened by the KKK. Mo. adopted the same law at the same time and just got rid of it 4 years ago.
NC still has Jim Crow around it's neck.
cw

WalkingWolf

The PPP is a Jim Crow law that was designed to keep guns out of the hands of Blacks who were being threatened by the KKK. Mo. adopted the same law at the same time and just got rid of it 4 years ago.
NC still has Jim Crow around it's neck.
cw

Agree, but unless they fix insta check, it is still better than dealing with the delays at time of purchase. Maybe they should make the system optional for people who do not want to stand around all day waiting for background check to clear.

Bahabandit

Well the way I figure it I have two options. I could go back to Alabama and buy my firearms, or since my wife is a resident of NC and not in the military, I could just get her to got get the PPP and buy it for me.

rotorhead

Well the way I figure it I have two options. I could go back to Alabama and buy my firearms, or since my wife is a resident of NC and not in the military, I could just get her to got get the PPP and buy it for me.

Your second option you mention is illegal. It's called a straw purchase. Silly, I know, but it's there, especially if you word it like you did.

ncwabbit

Your second option you mention is illegal. It's called a straw purchase. Silly, I know, but it's there, especially if you word it like you did.

i am not an attorney
sorry roto, according to atf guideance, that could be an acceptable transaction since it would be presented as a give from partner to to family member. where it becomes straw man transaction is if the buying party knows they other person is not allowed to posses a firearm per se...

buyer must disclose it is a gift....

wabbit

ps...how on earth would our youn`s get their firearms if not as gifts from the caregivers

carolina guy

i am not an attorney
sorry roto, according to atf guideance, that could be an acceptable transaction since it would be presented as a give from partner to to family member. where it becomes straw man transaction is if the buying party knows they other person is not allowed to posses a firearm per se...

wabbit

ps...how on earth would our youn`s get their firearms if not as gifts from the caregivers

+1

rotorhead

i am not an attorney

wabbit

Excellent points, thank you. This is correct, although I do know of at least two places in town that will not sell to a person if they hear trhough conversation that you are buying for another.

Gander Mountain almost did not sell a shotgun to my son because he mentioned that he might be buying it for me for xmas. When they guy said if that's true then he couldn't sell it to him lol. But yes, you are correct. My apologies for any confusion.