Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: My CC spotted at the Kent Valley Ice Centre

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    208

    Thumbs up My CC spotted at the Kent Valley Ice Centre

    Hi all. I just wanted to share my experience from last weekend. I attended the Kent Valley Ice Centre for some skating. I was wearing my Ruger SP101 OWB in a retention holster. I was wearing a loose-fitting fleece, but I was not worried about concealment in the least. My Ruger was exposed once in a while as I skated, but I did have a fall where people noticed my gun. I dusted myself off and went to get off the ice, when the manager of the rink motioned to talk to me. Here are the basics of the conversation (paraphrased):

    He: Do you have a concealed gun?
    I: Yes.
    He: I assume or... do you have a concealed license? If you have a concealed license, then it needs to be concealed.
    I: I have a license, but the law does not require me to conceal it.
    He: Some people saw that you have a gun and it can't be on the ice.
    I: Why?
    He: It can be carried in the areas around the ice but it could go off if you fall.
    I: No, it can't go off unless the trigger is pulled.
    He: It could fall out of the holster...
    I: No, I have a locking holster. It won't come out even if you grab it and pull. It is like what the police use.
    He: Yeah, but police don't go skating on the ice.
    I: Umm, ok?
    He: I'm a gun owner and I leave my gun in my car. We still don't allow guns on the ice.
    I: I haven't heard a good reason why guns cannot be brought onto the ice. If it is simply your policy, then that is a different reason.
    He: That is our policy.
    I: Are you the manager or may I speak with one?
    He: I am the general manager.
    I: Is the rink owned by a corporation, a franchise, or tax funded?
    He: It is privately owned.
    I: Ok. I want to be in compliance with your policies, as I am with all laws. Can you please provide me with your written policy on firearms in your facility?
    He: It's just that, we don't want them on the ice. I mean, kids could get curious and try to touch it...
    I: Nobody touches my gun, not even me.
    He: I'm not saying you would but.... We have found bullets in the ice when we do maintenance, etc....
    I: Well, I don't use my gun, unless it is for lawful self defense. I am a member of many firearms organizations and, if it is your policy to forbid firearms in sections of your facility, I would like to see it in writing, so that I can reference the exact policy in my discussions with others who might want to visit here.
    He: Ok. Let me get back to you.
    I: Thanks.

    5 minutes passed...

    He: I just spoke with the owner of the rink. You were right, it is not against our policy for you to carry your firearm onto the ice. It just needs to be concealed.
    I: Thanks. If you follow state law, it does not need to be concealed.
    He: I will have to read up on some of the laws about firearms...
    I: Please speak with the owner and tell him that I sincerely thank him for his understanding and compliance with the state's firearms laws.
    He: I will.
    I: Thanks. Bye.

    I wasn't going to get into an OC discussion with him. I felt I had won enough, with him at least learning that it is not against the law or even their policy to carry onto the ice. He was very polite and very nice to talk to. My experience was a very good one and I highly recommend taking a trip to Kent Valley for some ice skating
    IBTL

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,135
    Well Played!!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    208
    Thanks.

    I just want to add... I have called the Kent Valley Ice Centre today and asked to speak to the owner. He was not available but I was transferred to a manager where I left a message. My call was for the purpose of following up in support of their policy. We all (those of us who exercise our rights) shout loudly when our rights are trampled, as we should. I think we should also let our voices be heard by those who make the decisions, when their policies support our rights. I want business owners to know that, when they support our rights to behave in compliance with the law regarding the sensitive issue of firearms, I will support their business by spreading my positive experience.

    Not all businesses have firearms interactions often, so the policy in place might not be known well by all the employees involved. I think it is imperative that we remain calm and overly polite in dealing with employees, even if/when they are asking us to leave - and I have been asked to leave another store for OC once (got that fixed after a call to corporate). If asked to leave, I will usually head towards the exit and request a conversation at the exit area of the establishment, rather than show any hesitation. Thanks for listening
    IBTL

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    .

    Right on.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavin View Post
    He: I just spoke with the owner of the rink. You were right, it is not against our policy for you to carry your firearm onto the ice. It just needs to be concealed.
    I: Thanks. If you follow state law, it does not need to be concealed.
    He: I will have to read up on some of the laws about firearms...
    I: Please speak with the owner and tell him that I sincerely thank him for his understanding and compliance with the state's firearms laws.
    He: I will.
    I: Thanks. Bye.

    I wasn't going to get into an OC discussion with him. I felt I had won enough, with him at least learning that it is not against the law or even their policy to carry onto the ice. He was very polite and very nice to talk to. My experience was a very good one and I highly recommend taking a trip to Kent Valley for some ice skating
    Them requiring people to conceal carry in their place of business is in accordance with State Law, but I am glad it came out well.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Them requiring people to conceal carry in their place of business is in accordance with State Law, but I am glad it came out well.
    I think you are a smart guy and you probably know what I meant...

    Yes, they can ask me to leave because they don't like the coat I'm wearing too, and a private business has that right. However, they do not FURTHER RESTRICT the laws regarding firearms, beyond what the state forbids. Should I have phrased it "they default to state law on firearms issues"?
    IBTL

  7. #7
    Opt-Out Members BigDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterMcGavin View Post
    I think you are a smart guy and you probably know what I meant...

    Yes, they can ask me to leave because they don't like the coat I'm wearing too, and a private business has that right. However, they do not FURTHER RESTRICT the laws regarding firearms, beyond what the state forbids. Should I have phrased it "they default to state law on firearms issues"?
    This is why I posted so if someone not knowing the laws so well would have a better understanding.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

  8. #8
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    This is why I posted so if someone not knowing the laws so well would have a better understanding.
    And as with all private business weapons policies, I also have to option of never frequenting their business again.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    This is why I posted so if someone not knowing the laws so well would have a better understanding.
    Ok. Fair enough. It doesn't hurt for me to clarify.
    IBTL

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •