• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proactive Shooters' Lecture Series

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
In an effort to bring you the very best in firearms & personal safety training, Proactive Shooters would like to announce a new concept - the Proactive Shooters' Lecture Series.

We will be offering short training classes (some free ones!), guest speakers, etc. on topics related to concealed carry, personal safety, firearms ownership, etc. Seating will be limited for these events, so you'll want to register quickly!

Proactive Shooters' Lecture Series #1

Topic: Ladies only Q&A session
Date: Monday, February 25, 2013 6pm to 7pm
Cost: Free
Location: Proactive Shooters' Office, 6010 W. Broad St, Henrico

Proactive Shooters' Chief Firearms Instructor James Reynolds will be on hand to answer your firearms, concealed carry, etc. questions. We are happy to kick off this first lecture series event by inviting the ladies to come ask questions in a casual, stress free environment.

To register for this lecture, simply send an email to training@proactiveshooters.com with your name and "Ladies only Q&A". We will reply back that your seat is confirmed. Seating is limited for this lecture, so early registration is encouraged.

Thank you for training with Proactive Shooters!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Topic: Ladies only Q&A session
Date: Monday, February 25, 2013 6pm to 7pm
Cost: Free
Location: Proactive Shooters' Office, 6010 W. Broad St, Henrico

Giving back to the community
icon14.png

ProShooter

I do have one question regarding open carry and your classes. When I attended your class almost two years ago, the question of open carry did come up. Your answers tended not to favor this mode of carry. Is this your position or do you fully support both common modes of carry?

I support people carrying, period....however they choose to carry, as long as they do it properly. I have seen people carry concealed who do it so poorly and their gun is printing under a tight shirt, and I have seen people OC who have zero weapon retention skills and are using a cheap $10 holster.

I do prefer concealed carry for myself, and think its more tactically advantageous in many respects. I don't carry to make a political statement. I carry to protect my bacon...and concealed works better for me. I do carry both ways though, and feel comfortable carrying in either respect.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I do have one question regarding open carry and your classes. When I attended your class almost two years ago, the question of open carry did come up. Your answers tended not to favor this mode of carry. Is this your position or do you fully support both common modes of carry?

I'd like to comment on that before he answers SouthernBoy.

First, Jim is a friend but as you well know, I'm not shy about losing friends over this subject.
Second, those classes are CHP classes and that's what most of the students want to hear about.

I know CHP instructors (Certainly not friends) that teach their students that OC is Dangerous, Stupid, even a couple ******** that have claimed it was illegal.
I've never heard Jim do anything of the such.
I've never heard him express anything that promoted P4P although he does talk about the advantages of having things like the Utah permit.

That could be good or bad but I am a firm believer in drawing conclusions from actions.

I know some and one very particular, HIGH RANKING OC advocate, that I've never seen OC. It's always some excuse. My coats too long, I'm cold, my mother's calling...something.

Jim OC's as often as he CC's. In the summer, I always see him Open Carrying and in the winter, most of the time.
Even Grapeshot and Skidmark let their coat cover up without tucking once in a while.

I strongly suspect that as his classes progress, he may dedicate more time to all carry rather than one style or the other.

Just my opinion and observation.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Please understand, I enjoyed Jim's class and would recommend it to anyone who wishes to broaden their knowledge in this area (I did this just this week). I consider him to be a fine gentleman and worthy of teaching a class where he can expect a variety of opinions and ideas, some cast in stone.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I support people carrying, period....however they choose to carry, as long as they do it properly. I have seen people carry concealed who do it so poorly and their gun is printing under a tight shirt, and I have seen people OC who have zero weapon retention skills and are using a cheap $10 holster.

I do prefer concealed carry for myself, and think its more tactically advantageous in many respects. I don't carry to make a political statement. I carry to protect my bacon...and concealed works better for me. I do carry both ways though, and feel comfortable carrying in either respect.

Thank you for your clarification. I suspected as much.

sidestreet

I'm gonna recommend this to a couple of ladies at my church...,

they've approached me about training for a CHP. Most of them would rather not make the trip to Charlottesville if they didn't have to, and to tell you the truth, we always recommend that our students look into and receive additional training other than the First Steps course we offer. We have only had one full fledged Concealed course at Rivanna that I can remember, and I'm fairly disappointed at that.

We tell them that the First Steps is the basic minimum that they would need to apply for a CHP, and although they may still receive a CHP, there is much, much more to learn and practice that is not included in the First Steps course. I sincerely hope that they continue their firearms education, but I honestly don't think that it happens very often. :( Too bad, that..., for them and us too!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

ProShooter

they've approached me about training for a CHP. Most of them would rather not make the trip to Charlottesville if they didn't have to, and to tell you the truth, we always recommend that our students look into and receive additional training other than the First Steps course we offer. We have only had one full fledged Concealed course at Rivanna that I can remember, and I'm fairly disappointed at that.

We tell them that the First Steps is the basic minimum that they would need to apply for a CHP, and although they may still receive a CHP, there is much, much more to learn and practice that is not included in the First Steps course. I sincerely hope that they continue their firearms education, but I honestly don't think that it happens very often. :( Too bad, that..., for them and us too!

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

Thank you for letting them know about it. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 v. 11-13

This was interesting Sidestreet and would be perfect for the Church Ladies if he offers it again.

It was really a question/answer session and the attendees ranged from knowing absolutely nothing....and I mean NOTHING, to one grandmother that if I were to comment on someone attempting to attack her, I'd quote the old A Team phrase, "Pity the fool".

Very good answers to all questions and they all left better prepared for a real class. Open carry was discussed as well as concealed.

The new office/class room is great and seems perfect for smaller classes.

pro3_zpsb8e5d3a1.jpg

Last edited:

sidestreet

Wow!!!

This was interesting Sidestreet and would be perfect for the Church Ladies if he offers it again.

It was really a question/answer session and the attendees ranged from knowing absolutely nothing....and I mean NOTHING, to one grandmother that if I were to comment on someone attempting to attack her, I'd quote the old A Team phrase, "Pity the fool".

Very good answers to all questions and they all left better prepared for a real class. Open carry was discussed as well as concealed.

The new office/class room is great and seems perfect for smaller classes.

pro3_zpsb8e5d3a1.jpg

The lady in red appears to be one of the ladies I referred!!! Sounds like it was a real success! Good on everyone. ;)

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13