Thread: Universal back groud check ?

Universal back groud check ?

What is the universal background check, and how does it differ from what we have now ?

Most states allow private party transfers without it.

This would eliminate that, and would force private parties into expensive and delaying background checks, while the crooks would continue the black market with impunity, as now.

Because banning drugs has worked out so well...
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    What is the universal background check, and how does it differ from what we have now ?
    What is incorrectly called "universal" background check is actually just expansion of the background check requirement that dealers must do to making it a requirement for you to do. Because the authorities have been SO EFFECTIVE at prosecuting those who have been caught in the current system (should that be in purple, or does everyone have fresh batteries in their sarcasm detectors?).

Actually, it's not universal background check. Because the bad guys are practically never going to go through it. They're just going to keep stealing them or having their straw purchasers get the guns for them. Because the authorities have been SO EFFECTIVE at prosecuting the straw purchasers as well.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Universal back groud check ?

It's also "universal gun owner registration", since the government would have a record of every lawful firearm transaction via their background check system.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Universal background checks

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    --snipped--
    This would eliminate that, and would force private parties into expensive and delaying background checks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    It's also "universal gun owner registration", since the government would have a record of every lawful firearm transaction via their background check system.
    Creates a gun registry AND a gun owner registry = who to see, where to go to confiscate what guns.

Remember it is not paranoia when they really really are......< fill in the blank >
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Universal Back Ground Check

The way federal law stands now a private person can transfer (give or sell) a gun to another person without a background (NICS) check. A few states do not allow this.

The way I read the proposed laws is that all transfers between persons would require a NICS check. The results would be:

Additional cost for the NICS check.

Additional costly bureaucracy to administer the checks.

The way federal law stands now persons between 18-20 can own a handgun; however they must be at least 21 to purchase a handgun. The proposed laws would prohibit the transfer of a handgun to anyone between 18-20. This would disenfranchise a whole class of people.

If a firearm owner dies; then he would no longer own the firearms and they would not be transferable to his spouse or children.

The proposed law does not prohibit the government from creating a firearms registry from the NICS checks. A firearms registry lets the government know who owns firearms and where they are. Registration eventually leads to confiscation. Examples (California, New York, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. Cambodia, and Germany)

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    That is a consequence of it, and it's the worst thing about it. And here's a history lesson (for readers in general): repressive states or genocides, since the spread of gunpowder and firearms, have always been preceded by gun registration, then gun confiscation. Not all countries with registration have proceeded to confiscation. Not all countries having done confiscation have descended to repression or genocide. But every state or society that has descended to repression or genocide did registration and confiscation first.
    Last edited by DanM; 02-14-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Because banning drugs has worked out so well...

There is a difference though, because it's not like law abiding gun owners sell drugs to people too.

The majority of gun owners in the US wouldn't want to sell to a criminal. If nothing else, it'd be nice for the feds to come out and encourage private gun sellers to voluntarily call in NICS checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    There is a difference though, because it's not like law abiding gun owners sell drugs to people too.

The majority of gun owners in the US wouldn't want to sell to a criminal. If nothing else, it'd be nice for the feds to come out and encourage private gun sellers to voluntarily call in NICS checks.
    I'm not following the point (I'm sure I'm just not noticing it at the moment).

What makes a drug user a criminal except for the political illegality of the possession and use of the drug?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip