• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Q&A with Fredericksburg Police Chief David Nye

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The couple I saw completely ignored the opinion and instead focused on the dissents to try to establish that other criminal behavior committed by the criminal in possession of a firearm was somehow equivalent with the mere presence of a firearm in the vicinity of a school AND that it somehow affected interstate commerce.

I'd have to go through them to see, but I doubt any of them even address that the GFSZA attempts to take on police powers that are only authorized to the states and are not part of the delegated authorities to Congress.

Last edited:

minarchist

I'm sure people want that to be true, but if you read the code, that is not what it says.

Are there any cites to this?

TFred

ETA: What this does is make a horrible law just a little bit less horrible, which is still by no means acceptable.

A Virginia concealed carry permit is a permit for a very specific type of possession (e.g., on one's person, in a concealed fashion, in public). Therefore, a Virginia concealed carry permit is a possession permit.

minarchist

That is my point, as flimsy as it may be. Virginia does not "license" ANY kind of carry. There is no "Virginia version" of a license... A CHP merely exempts the holder from the illegal act of carrying a handgun in a concealed fashion.

Exempting the holder from the illegal act of carrying a handgun in a concealed fashion is indeed licensing that individual to possess a handgun in a specific way.

LQM

Aside from his comments on not signing for Class 3 weapons, these comments are rather troubling;

Sorry to interrupt guys and gals. I read the interview and I agree with most of the posts here. Yet I have issue with the chief not wanting to sign Class 3 paperwork because he seems his signature as an endorsement of the individuals character. I may be wrong but this to me constitutes a denial of due process. He doesn't have to do anything other than run the background and sign it based on that alone, much like he may do for a carry permit, if that applies. (I'm in CT)

I may be off base and I apologize if I am.

TFred

Exempting the holder from the illegal act of carrying a handgun in a concealed fashion is indeed licensing that individual to possess a handgun in a specific way.
I don't agree. It's Apples and Oranges. The CHP simply means that the prohibition against concealing does not apply to you. It has nothing to do with your ability to transfer a handgun into your possession, or with the legal status of maintaining that possession. Try producing your CHP at your local gun store, and see how far that gets you.

TFred

ETA: Here's an analogy: Think of those Handicapped Placards they give you to hang on your mirror. Those are like a CHP in that they exempt you from the general law that says you may not park in a handicapped parking space. That sign has nothing to do with whether or not you are allowed to drive the car.

Last edited:

minarchist

I don't agree. It's Apples and Oranges. The CHP simply means that the prohibition against concealing does not apply to you. It has nothing to do with your ability to transfer a handgun into your possession, or with the legal status of maintaining that possession. Try producing your CHP at your local gun store, and see how far that gets you.

TFred

ETA: Here's an analogy: Think of those Handicapped Placards they give you to hang on your mirror. Those are like a CHP in that they exempt you from the general law that says you may not park in a handicapped parking space. That sign has nothing to do with whether or not you are allowed to drive the car.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from your posts it seems that you're equating possession with ownership. Of course Virginia does not issue a license to own a firearm: I have no argument with this.

It is my position that possession is different than ownership (of course there is overlap, but one can own firearms and not be in possession of them (at least not in an immediate sense) and one can possess a firearm that one does not own (imagine an individual carrying his/her spouse's firearm)).

Last edited:

TFred

Correct me if I am wrong, but from your posts it seems that you're equating possession with ownership. Of course Virginia does not issue a license to own a firearm: I have no argument with this.

It is my position that possession is different than ownership (of course there is overlap, but one can own firearms and not be in possession of them (at least not in an immediate sense) and one can possess a firearm that one does not own (imagine an individual carrying his/her spouse's firearm)).
Not at all. I fully understand the difference between possession and ownership. Virginia does not license either one.

TFred