Thread: Gun storage while boating

Gun storage while boating

This is a question from a friend. How can he legally store his firearm while on his boat out on the lake? His boat does have a factory installed glove compartment. I couldnt remember any specifics regarding this situation. I know someone here can help me. Thanks in advance! Have a great day!

Founder's Club Member
    Not sure about the legalities in your state.

But, I can say there have been numerous reports of guns lost in boating accidents. Why, on one river in Washington state, it sounds like the entire river bed is positively littered with all manner of firearms.

Curiously, reports of these accidents seem to skyrocket whenever new anti-gun legislation is being promoted. Another curiosity is that the boats never sink--just the guns. The boats always make it back to the landing.

So, your friend will want a storage method that keeps the gun securely on the boat.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyKRU View Post
    This is a question from a friend. How can he legally store his firearm while on his boat out on the lake? His boat does have a factory installed glove compartment. I couldnt remember any specifics regarding this situation. I know someone here can help me. Thanks in advance! Have a great day!
    It should stay on his side or visible in the boat. Section (8) of KRS 527.020 says that the section applies to "motor vehicles," and a boat is not considered a motor vehicle. The definition for a motor vehicle can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/189-00/010.PDF

The definition for a motorboat and other water-craft can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/235-00/010.PDF

While I am sure nothing would happen if he did have it in his boat's storage spaces, it would be best in my opinion to keep it on him or visible in the boat unless he has a CDWL.

This is something that should be addressed by the General Assembly. KRS 527.020 should be amended to include water-craft in the statute.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 02-14-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Also, depending the body of water, it could fall under the Corps of Engineers jurisdiction.