• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun storage while boating

FrostyKRU

This is a question from a friend. How can he legally store his firearm while on his boat out on the lake? His boat does have a factory installed glove compartment. I couldnt remember any specifics regarding this situation. I know someone here can help me. Thanks in advance! Have a great day!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Not sure about the legalities in your state.

But, I can say there have been numerous reports of guns lost in boating accidents. Why, on one river in Washington state, it sounds like the entire river bed is positively littered with all manner of firearms.

Curiously, reports of these accidents seem to skyrocket whenever new anti-gun legislation is being promoted. Another curiosity is that the boats never sink--just the guns. The boats always make it back to the landing.

So, your friend will want a storage method that keeps the gun securely on the boat.

:)

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This is a question from a friend. How can he legally store his firearm while on his boat out on the lake? His boat does have a factory installed glove compartment. I couldnt remember any specifics regarding this situation. I know someone here can help me. Thanks in advance! Have a great day!

It should stay on his side or visible in the boat. Section (8) of KRS 527.020 says that the section applies to "motor vehicles," and a boat is not considered a motor vehicle. The definition for a motor vehicle can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/189-00/010.PDF

The definition for a motorboat and other water-craft can be found here: http://lrc.ky.gov/KRS/235-00/010.PDF

While I am sure nothing would happen if he did have it in his boat's storage spaces, it would be best in my opinion to keep it on him or visible in the boat unless he has a CDWL.

This is something that should be addressed by the General Assembly. KRS 527.020 should be amended to include water-craft in the statute.

Last edited: