Thread: OC in Holland.

OC in Holland.

Does anyone OC in Holland ? Where is or isn't OC friendly ? Any get togethers near there ?

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Does anyone OC in Holland ? Where is or isn't OC friendly ? Any get togethers near there ?
    I have open carried in Holland with no issues. There is a OC Dinner in Grandville which isn't terribly far from Holland.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I have open carried in Holland with no issues. There is a OC Dinner in Grandville which isn't terribly far from Holland.
    Casper - you should try to make this. If you are nervous don't carry - you'll be welcome anyway. It is the easiest way for someone new to OC to learn. Seeing people in person and getting their advice gained through years of experience is worth 10 thousand forum posts in my opinion.

Edited to add: Please read posts #6, #8, #10, #13 in the thread below. They will keep you from falling into some of the common pitfalls that non CPL open carriers get jammed up on by police.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ding+unloading

Snip from thread (this post by the very wise Bikenut)...

Now a word of caution for OC'ing without a CPL...

When transitioning from "transporting" to "carrying" be very careful to do ALL handling of the gun itself OUTSIDE the confines of the vehicle. DO NOT handle the gun inside the trunk trying to hide what you are doing from folks in fear of scaring them. Also .. do not lean back into the vehicle to get a hat or anything and have the gun now on your hip go inside the car.... because unless transporting..... without a CPL it is illegal to possess a pistol inside a vehicle....
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-14-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: ETA
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

OC in Holland.

Email swregion@miopencarry.org and maybe we can setup/coordinate something!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I OC'd all around downtown Holland and through a summer farmers market down there with no issues. I also OC'd at a nice ice-cream stand down near the beach. All good. Took one of my favorite pics there.

http://s8.postimage.org/x46b0cjxh/IMG_2808.jpg
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 02-16-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: fixed spelling.

I've OC'd around downtown Holland during their weekly street festival during the summer with no issues.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Oced at Family Fare aat butternut and 144th in both the store and station. Mobil at same intersection. Torco on butternut, the meijer, target, pizza hut, steak and shake, all by the mall.

I broke the ice today and OC'd at Dunham's. If anyone noticed they didn't react at all. I thought I was invisable. It did give me a ? though. How do you legally get the gun case out of the trunk when your leaving ? If you reach in to get it are you breacking the law ?

I would suggest leaving the case as near the rear of the trunk as possible so you only have to reach in without leaning in which COULD get you jammed if a officer wanted to be a jerk, I am sure others will give you some advice.

I broke the ice today and OC'd at Dunham's. If anyone noticed they didn't react at all. I thought I was invisable. It did give me a ? though. How do you legally get the gun case out of the trunk when your leaving ? If you reach in to get it are you breacking the law ?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I could get a pull cord and hang it out of the trunk.