• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF gets heavyweight support in carry case motion to SCOTUS

77zach

As judge Benson Legg pointed out, the existence of a right is all one needs to exercise it. Next case.

I wonder why semi automatic rifles will be a "tough nut to crack" when Heller already cracked it.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
As judge Benson Legg pointed out, the existence of a right is all one needs to exercise it. Next case.

I wonder why semi automatic rifles will be a "tough nut to crack" when Heller already cracked it.

Because there are commies and fascists everywhere?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Because there are commies and fascists everywhere?

IT'S+NOT+FASCISM+WHEN+WE+DO+IT.png

SavageOne

The Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation is getting some heavyweight support in its petition to the Supreme Court for a Writ of Certiorari in a case challenging the gun permitting statute in the State of New York…

http://www.examiner.com/article/hea...o-supreme-court-on-carry-case?cid=db_articles

Dave,

Do you think the same argument could be used in my state of Missouri to force preemption? Since Article 1 Section 23 of the Missouri Bill Of Rights states

Right to keep and bear arms--exception.

Section 23. That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned; but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons.

While it has been decided by our state Supreme Court, that this Section does not prohibit the State from granting permission to conceal carry it would seem that the Section codifies that "open" carry( if concealed is specifically named as "not justified" that only leaves openly) as an enumerated right. If this is the case then, shouldn't that restrict the state from allowing individual municipalities to disallow or restrict OC by local statute?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

eye95

No. They are asking to be heard.

Interesting that Alabama's AG signed on. Alabama currently has "may issue," which is the heart of the complaint! Of course, there is a bill before the legislature to get that fixed. Don't know whether it is close to passing or even a possibility.

Last year, it was a miserable failure on the part of those who claimed to "own" the movement. Hopefully, DefendAlabama will get this one passed.

SavageOne

Well, I guess Dave is to busy writing and then pimping his new Examiner articles to come back and actually answer any questions his old ones may have raised. I have, generally, shied away from Examiner articles linked in a first post, since I felt it was just a ploy to make the OP some cash(Examiner stories pay the author based on number of hits). I guess it's time to return to that practice.

Very disappointed in you Mr. Workman. You have shown me were your your true priorities lie....your wallet.

eye95

I made a similar observation some time back--and got slapped down rather harshly for it.

Is he a forum participant, or is he "selling" his product?

:uhoh: *waits to be slapped down again*

DrakeZ07

Oh, nice one! Do you think there'll be one for the next Republican President who makes unconstitutional agenda's and remarks? I do hope so! Maybe it'll be something from Stalin. I like how a Democrat is placed on a edited image that once showed a Nazi Brownshirt. Very imaginative indeed!

DamonK

Oh, nice one! Do you think there'll be one for the next Republican President who makes unconstitutional agenda's and remarks? I do hope so! Maybe it'll be something from Stalin. I like how a Democrat is placed on a edited image that once showed a Nazi Brownshirt. Very imaginative indeed!

It doesn't matter what party he claims. And it wont matter with the next guy. Espouse marxist propaganda and attack our rights and you will find your way into a poster! I wish it was a jail cell, but that'll never happen :mad:

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

SavageOne

Maybe he hasn't checked back here.
Did you PM him?

I don't think he has checked back, that's my point. He seems to be more interested in posting a link to his articles, which pays him per hit, than actually engaging in discussion of the topic he brings up. I have checked his profile and shows he has posted in other threads. He just doesn't seem to be interested in threads that he started.

To answer your other question, I have not tried to PM him. If he can't be bothered to follow a thread he started, then I am not interested in his opinion on the subject anymore.

eye95

...If he can't be bothered to follow a thread he started, then I am not interested in his opinion on the subject anymore...

Exactly.

I get the impression that, even thought most of us here would agree with most of what he writes, he wants to face no challenges to the ideas his articles.

If he does not have the stones to rationally discuss his written ideas, I have no desire to read them.

Last edited:

77zach

I don't think he has checked back, that's my point. He seems to be more interested in posting a link to his articles, which pays him per hit, than actually engaging in discussion of the topic he brings up. I have checked his profile and shows he has posted in other threads. He just doesn't seem to be interested in threads that he started.

To answer your other question, I have not tried to PM him. If he can't be bothered to follow a thread he started, then I am not interested in his opinion on the subject anymore.

This seems ridiculous to me. It's not like you get rich from Examiner articles. Maybe he just wants to disseminate information he feels is important to gun rights? Writing your own columns does more for the movement than posting on this forum.

Last edited:

eye95

True. But when he posts them here, he should have the consideration to participate in the discussion that posting it here starts.

A column is not a back-and-forth. It is a one-way communication. Posting is two-way, yet he makes it one-way in an almost drive-by fashion. I can't respect that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

SavageOne

This seems ridiculous to me. It's not like you get rich from Examiner articles. Maybe he just wants to disseminate information he feels is important to gun rights? Writing your own columns does more for the movement than posting on this forum.

No, l doubt he is getting rich, but he's not doing it for free either. From what I can find the pay scale seems to be about a 1/4 cent per hit( it was as high as 1¢ until last year). Many of the column writers say the topic also drives the amount of hits. Do you think placing an article about gun rights on a pro gun site will garner more or fewer hits? So let's see

4 hits = 1¢

400 hits = $1.00

4000 hits = $100.00

OCDC = thousands of members

I am not saying Mr. Workman's only intent is money( he is obviously a talented writer, who is passionate about gun rights), but I don't see him linking his Gun Week articles here, to disseminate that knowledge. What does bother me is, as it has been already described, the "drive-by" fashion he just starts a thread, and then feels no need follow up on it. He seems interested in stirring thought and discussion, just not participating in it

sudden valley gunner

I have met Dave, he lives here in Washington and has come to our OC meets. We often disagree but he is a good guy. He is passionate about firearms and does respond sometimes to his threads or to threads in our state, I don't think his posting is simply about making money, I think he just wants to share info or thoughts we might be interested in, I too wish he would have a little more back and forth in the discussions though.

I have seen him change his stance and position on some matters because of us OC folks so he is and does read our responses at times. He mentioned some of my experiences in an examiner article and in his new book on Washington Gun rights. :)

eye95

I am sure that he has responded to one or two of his threads that post his articles. I don't remember ever seeing a one. And this is not the first, second, or third time that I have commented about his lack of replies to concerns people raise about his articles.

No, I don't think that he is doing it for the money. I do think he is doing it for the increase in readership, to encourage folks to click the link and go to his articles. There is nothing wrong with that. My point all along has been that, if he is going to post his articles in an interactive forum, he ought to routinely interact with users who comment on his articles. It is arrogant not to do so.

It is not arrogant to post articles and not address comments on it. Articles are presumed to be one-way conversations. It is arrogant to post those same words on an interactive forum and then ignore comments. It is like making pronouncements from on high, which we are expected to read and accept, our thoughts on the matter meaning nothing to him, while his ideas are supposed to be meaningful to us.

Well, until and unless he is willing to routinely interact with us about his articles, I won't read them; his thoughts mean nothing to me if he is not willing to discuss them.

So, Dave, what are your thoughts on this?

*waits*

*expects nothing*

DamonK

I am sure that he has responded to one or two of his threads that post his articles. I don't remember ever seeing a one. And this is not the first, second, or third time that I have commented about his lack of replies to concerns people raise about his articles.

No, I don't think that he is doing it for the money. I do think he is doing it for the increase in readership, to encourage folks to click the link and go to his articles. There is nothing wrong with that. My point all along has been that, if he is going to post his articles in an interactive forum, he ought to routinely interact with users who comment on his articles. It is arrogant not to do so.

It is not arrogant to post articles and not address comments on it. Articles are presumed to be one-way conversations. It is arrogant to post those same words on an interactive forum and then ignore comments. It is like making pronouncements from on high, which we are expected to read and accept, our thoughts on the matter meaning nothing to him, while his ideas are supposed to be meaningful to us.

Well, until and unless he is willing to routinely interact with us about his articles, I won't read them; his thoughts mean nothing to me if he is not willing to discuss them.

So, Dave, what are your thoughts on this?

*waits*

*expects nothing*

Here's a crazy idea... How about you stop attacking people that are on our side. Why don't you use all of this venom that you seem to build up inside on someone that wants to take our rights away instead of constantly squabbling with other people within your own movement. The way you present yourself is very divisive. When you are being helpful, you can give some pretty good advice. But you through all that good away when you try to instigate fights within our own movement.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: