• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bangor Daily News using Freedom of Access Act for CCW holders

Maine Expat

Well, it looks like we all need to get active in the online LTE at the BDN website.

My statement will be simple.

I am a CHP holder. I live in a 3 BR home and sleep with a locked and loaded (with hollow points, btw) .45 close at hand. My wife keeps her 9 mm ready to fire (also with HP rounds) and close by as well. So Mr. bad guy, remember this. While you're looking for our bedroom (in the dark) we'll both being drawing a bead on your sorry hide and WILL fill it with BIG holes.

You want our guns? Molon Labe (come and take them) if you can.

boyscout399

The request is unlawful under title 25. I hope they refuse the request!

Title 25 Section 2006

All proceedings relating to the issuance, refusal or revocation of a permit to carry concealed handguns are not public proceedings under Title 1, chapter 13, unless otherwise requested by the applicant

Flashlight

Title 25 Section 2006

All proceedings relating to the issuance, refusal or revocation of a permit to carry concealed handguns are not public proceedings under Title 1, chapter 13, unless otherwise requested by the applicant

But if you continue on it says:
The issuing authority shall make a permanent record of each permit to carry concealed handguns in a suitable book or file kept for that purpose. The record must include the information contained in the permit itself and must be available for public inspection. [2011, c. 298, §11 (AMD).]

Sounds like proceedings of determining whether it will be issued or not are not public but the actual records of issued permits are.

CCinMaine

Flashlight you beat me to it. I was about to say the same thing. There is emergency legislation in the works to block it. Call your state reps and tell them to support it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

boyscout399

The issuing authority shall make a permanent record of each permit to carry concealed handguns in a suitable book or file kept for that purpose. The record must include the information contained in the permit itself and must be available for public inspection. [2011, c. 298, §11 (AMD).]

Sounds like proceedings of determining whether it will be issued or not are not public but the actual records of issued permits are.

I was tired when I looked up the statute. I stand corrected. Thank you.

FTG-05

The good news is that they rescinded their request.

The bad news is they blamed it all on scared gun owners.

:banghead:

MainelyGlock

The good news is that they rescinded their request.

The bad news is they blamed it all on scared gun owners.

:banghead:

More good news is that local businesses have pulled their advertisements from the paper because of this. Not sure how credible it is, but here's the FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/BoycottBangorDailyNewsDontTreadOnUs?fref=ts

I have a family member who worked at the BDN more years ago than I have been alive for. I'll see if he knows anyone and whether or not they are panicking/have lost revenue/business.

MainelyGlock

"Democratic lawmakers Monday predicted easy passage of an emergency law offered by Republican Gov. Paul LePage that would temporarily close off access to information printed on concealed handgun permits in Maine."

"Democrats said Monday they support the bill — which would seal the records for 60 days — as a way to ensure a fair and open process and allow the emotionally charged issue, which pits the rights of gun owners against the need to keep public records open, a chance to cool down."

Read more;:arrow:...http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/...to-temporarily-shield-gun-permit-information/

It passed! Thanks LePage! Now kindly exit the office :lol:

Z1P2

Would it be possible to also file for an emergency injunction to stall the process further?

rdinatal

Title 25 Section 2006

Inspection does not mean taking information away or providing it.

-R

Last edited:

Maine Expat

Would it be possible to also file for an emergency injunction to stall the process further?

The permanent bill is already in the pipeline. Don't have a bill number yet, sorry. My Rep is a co-sponsor on it. Get with your Rep to find out when the committee hearing will be held and go to it if you can to testify.