• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gresham officer snatches cell phone from bystander during arrest

davidmcbeth

Banned
My state lag is trying to protect cops even more regarding this subject matter

General Assembly

Raised Bill No. 237

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 1394

*01394_______JUD*

Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY

Introduced by:

(JUD)

AN ACT CONCERNING THE RECORDING OF POLICE ACTIVITY BY THE PUBLIC.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2013) (a) For the purposes of this section, "peace officer" has the meaning provided in section 53a-3 of the general statutes.

(b) A peace officer who interferes with any person taking a photographic or digital still or video image of such peace officer or another peace officer acting in the performance of such peace officer's duties shall, subject to sections 5-141d, 7-465 and 29-8a of the general statutes, be liable to such person in an action at law, suit in equity or other proper proceeding for redress.

(c) A peace officer shall not be liable under subsection (b) of this section if the peace officer had reasonable grounds to believe that the peace officer was interfering with the taking of such image in order to (1) lawfully enforce a criminal law of this state or a municipal ordinance, (2) protect the public safety, (3) preserve the integrity of a crime scene or criminal investigation, (4) safeguard the privacy interests of any person, including a victim of a crime, or (5) lawfully enforce court rules and policies of the Judicial Branch with respect to taking a photograph, videotaping or otherwise recording an image in facilities of the Judicial Branch.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
(c)(4) about makes it worthless as a law.:banghead:

My thoughts exactly. However, I thought the entire super-section made it a useless law. When you have those exemptions worded in the way they are the entire law would become useless on its own. Why even introduce such idiotic legislation?

Jeff. State

Banned
My thoughts exactly. However, I thought the entire super-section made it a useless law. When you have those exemptions worded in the way they are the entire law would become useless on its own. Why even introduce such idiotic legislation?
Why introduce it?

Because it seems to make it OK for LEOs to take your camera and not be held accountable.

This law isn't a protection of the 1st Amend. but an infringement on it.

bwboley

Activist Member
From kptv.com
The officer has the legal right to ask for the video because there's perishable evidence there, " said Lt. Claudio Grandjean with the Gresham Police Department.

notalawyer

From kptv.com
The officer has the legal right to ask for the video because there's perishable evidence there, " said Lt. Claudio Grandjean with the Gresham Police Department.

He can ask all he wants. No authority to demand or seize unless the LEO has RS to believe that there is evidence of a crime on the video and that the 'owner' would destroy said evidence. In this case he did not even know that the woman was videoing, only that she was pointing her phone at them.

In any case, he still needs to get a subpoena or search warrant - which requires PC.

From what I saw on the video, there is no possible way that camera captured anything evidence.

We-the-People

JUST SAY NO

The police are trying to expand an exception to the fourth amendments requirement for a warrant. An expansion that will not hold up in court as the exception is intended to allow confiscation of CONTRABAND and other evidence from persons who they have probable cause have committed a crime. I know of no NONE, ZERO ZILCH NADDA Supreme Court cases in which the court has upheld the warantless confiscation of property from a person who was not the criminal suspect.

The Supreme Court constructed exceptions to the fourth's requirement to have a warrant are few (though more than they should be) and every one that I can think of has been constructed by the states OVERWHELMING interest as balanced against the interests of citizens to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures. A main protion of that balancing act is whether society (i.e. THE PEOPLE) are willing to accept the state action as reasonable. I have a hard time believing that society accepts these camera confiscations as reasonable.

Unfortunately, we're going to need a Supreme Court decision directly addressing the issue before the police stop their intimidation and violation.