• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member from Virginia. Have a few OC and CC questions, as I'm a new owner.

imcnblu

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I've been on dozens of other forums, but this is my first firearm related forum. I'm an admin and moderator on numerous others, so general conduct, I'm pretty familiar with, and you shouldn't have too much trouble out of me. I live in Northern Virginia, and carry a Springfield XD9 subcompact. So, with my brief introduction out of the way, I'll move on to my questions.

First, and foremost, I'd like to verify the accuracy of this statement in Virginia Law regarding open carry.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

Is this still considered current? I pulled this from a thread I found that was dated about a year back. Just wanted to make sure that this is still current. Generally speaking, OC without permit can carry loaded, without CC permit as long as it is less than 20 round magazine, and that having a CCW permit pretty much removes that magazine capacity limitation.

I own a Springfield Armory XD9 Subcompact. The standard magazines, as most know about XD9 SC, hold 13 rounds, and the extended mag holds 16. So, assuming the above regulations are still current, I should be okay to open carry (loaded) regardless of which magazine option I choose, right? I will be open carrying until I obtain my CCW permit, which should be in April. I registered for a basic concealed carry class for April 14th, so I should be receiving my permit on that day.

Also, I'm looking for some input on preferred defense ammo choices. I don't mind paying extra for quality, regardless of price. People have recommended Federal HST (which I'm told is hard to find, and thus far, that is proving accurate :( ) Hornady, and Speer Gold Dot. I've heard good and bad about Hornady, but have only really found praise for Federal and Gold Dot. So, for those that carry, which do you prefer? Or, do you have something else you'd recommend, instead. Again, price is not an issue (within reason, of course) when it comes to saving my life, or my family's lives. If a life is on the line, I have no problem paying more for a better load.

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate the input. This is a fine forum from what I've seen so far.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO imcnblu .

I have taken the liberty of moving your post to the Virginia sub-forum as most of your questions are state specific.

You need to read the rest of § 18.2-287. including the part where permit (CHP) holders are exempt from the restriction.

"The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor."

You will not receive your CHP at the end of the class. You will get a certificate which will satisfy the training requirements of §18.2-308 . An application for the CHP will likely be provided by your instructor. You file it in accordance with §18.2-308 at the Clerk of Courts office in the municipality where you live - they have 45 days to issue you the permit.

I will leave it to others to expound further on your queries.

Last edited:

imcnblu

Thanks for the help. I was hoping I had it in the right section, but it appears I missed the regional section. Thanks, again, for the help. Now, for some member input regarding their preferences towards a quality defense ammo choice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Please see my edit/revision above.

Ammunition, any kind - if you can find it buy it! We are in the middle of a massive shortage.

Federal HST is amongst the best - it is what I carry during cold weather.

SaltH2OHokie

Please see my edit/revision above.

Ammunition, any kind - if you can find it buy it! We are in the middle of a massive shortage.

Federal HST is amongst the best - it is what I carry during cold weather.

Agree, but in addition, if you find a few choices in ammo...buy some of each, and then shoot a few magazines of each one to make sure that they all want to feed/shoot reliably and accurately.

My everyday carry .45 would probably shoot a 9mm I found in a puddle...my $1,000 10mm 1911 sneezes if the overall cartridge length is .00001" out of spec ("frustrating" might start to describe that one). Gotta figure most guns fall somewhere in the middle.

BillB

Now, for some member input regarding their preferences towards a quality defense ammo choice.

Short answer:

9mm
Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

Better answer - read this link and educate yourself:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome aboard. And for the record, Front Royal is technically not part of Northern Virginia... technically. But it does show on some maps as being part of NOVA and demographically, what with sprawl, it has become part of NOVA.

Open carry to your hearts content. Just read the Virginia statutes on areas which would be off limits to any carry, and to carry when not having been issued a CHP.

BTW, you have the best pizza place anywhere around these parts. Melting Pot Pizza beats them all.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Welcome to the site!
I won't recommend ammo. I cast and handload and I'm a believer in the 4 B's.
Big Boolits Bust Bones:uhoh:

imcnblu

nice, Peter.

Doing hand loading is something an old co-worker of mine recently started doing. He enjoys it, or so he claims. He's only been doing it for his rifles (a .223, 5.56, and a 7.62x51), but he says he is getting more consistent results at the range with his personal loads. I haven't seen him in a while, but we talk every now and then on facebook.

As my interest and experience grows, it is something I'd be willing to look into as a bit of a cost saver. But, for right now, I'm fine with buying off the shelf ammo.

Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate the help. I was heavily considering the Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P, but everywhere I've been is out of it. A couple cases of that for carrying should do fine. Until then, I'll just have to use what I picked up today. I picked up 200 rounds of Winchester 115gr today. Mainly for plinking, but I'll be keeping at least half a case so I can have 2 full mags for carrying purposes.

scouser

If the XD is anything like the XDM it should handle anything you put in it. I'm yet to find anything my XDMs won't fire, some are dirtier than others but otherwise there isn't really a noticeable difference to my mind.
I never got to try places to eat in Front Royal, but I've delivered gas to several 7-11s there. The one on Royal Ave was particularly fun to get to, coming off 66 at (I think) exit 13 and taking the rollercoaster ride on 55 ... an 'experience' when you have 7000 gallons of liquid in a 9000 gallon space = plenty of empty room for it to slosh backwards and forwards and side to side. All that's irrelevent here though, except to say it's a beautiful part of Virginia you live in.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO.

Shame on everybody else for not encouraging you to sign up for the VA-ALERTS from VCDL, if not joining them.

There is an OC dinner next Tuesday (2/19) in Sterling. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Va-tap-house-Sterling-Tuesday-2-19-13-1900hrs While it might be a bit of a drive it's a great way to meet folks and get a lot of questions asked and answered.

There's also a lunch in King George on the 16th http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ng-George-Open-Carry-Lunch-Feb-16-2013-at-1PM

Announcements for events like those get put up as stickies at the top of the main page, Check regularly to see what's near (a relative term) you. Maybe one day you will be brave enough to announce one in the Front Royal area just to see who comes out of the woodwork.:lol:

Ammo recommendations? It's like politicians - everybody has one favorite and a whole bunch they hate.

stay safe.

scouser

snip ..

Ammo recommendations? It's like politicians - everybody has one favorite and a whole bunch they hate.

stay safe.

Not quite correct Skid,

There isn't a politician alive that I like. None of them made that career choice to do good for the people of the world, they're all (without exception in my mind) in it just to make as much as they can for themselves

ETA - I'm not in any way suggesting that any of the living politicians I do not like should become no longer living and I will not encourage any thoughts of aiding that process. However, I won't shed any tears if they have the proverbial unfortunate boating accident.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Also, I'm looking for some input on preferred defense ammo choices. I don't mind paying extra for quality, regardless of price. People have recommended Federal HST (which I'm told is hard to find, and thus far, that is proving accurate :( ) Hornady, and Speer Gold Dot. I've heard good and bad about Hornady, but have only really found praise for Federal and Gold Dot. So, for those that carry, which do you prefer? Or, do you have something else you'd recommend, instead. Again, price is not an issue (within reason, of course) when it comes to saving my life, or my family's lives. If a life is on the line, I have no problem paying more for a better load.

Before I started carrying, I asked several friends who are Special Agents in various agencies about make/model/caliber and ammunition. All of them had various opinions except for ammo .. they all recommended the Speer Gold Dot. I carry that ammo in the EDC, the BUG and in the spare mag. Never had a FTF or FTE. Seems consistently accurate within normal handgun range.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Before I started carrying, I asked several friends who are Special Agents in various agencies about make/model/caliber and ammunition. All of them had various opinions except for ammo .. they all recommended the Speer Gold Dot. I carry that ammo in the EDC, the BUG and in the spare mag. Never had a FTF or FTE. Seems consistently accurate within normal handgun range.

I agree on the Gold Dot if you're using store bought. It seems to feed in everything which is a primary goal. It also expands fairly well.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Ditto the "Huh???? April????" comment.

If it's your choice, fine.

If not, let us know. ProShooter is one damned fine instructor, and there are others much closer to you to whom I could refer you.

Ditto the VCDL comment. It's a bit of a hike, but the 28 February meeting promises to be great.

AND welcome to Virginia and OCDO.

imcnblu

April was partially my choice. My work schedule is done a month in advance, and there weren't any openings available at the dealer I went through in March that worked around my schedule, so I chose the 14th, and simply put in a request for that day off. It also works out for my wife who also picked up her first pistol, yesterday. She went with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9.

I have been watching a lot of informative videos on Gold Dot. Seems like that might be the route I go for carry ammo.

Also, I've been entertaining the idea of swapping barrels. Mainly for aesthetic purposes, as I like the look of a polished barrel in a black gun. Just a personal preference. There isn't anything wrong with the barrel I have, at all. I just have a visual preference of a silver/polished barrel.

Any recommendations for the barrel swap? Links to your suggestions would be greatly appreciated, so I can check them out. I've heard about Lone Wolf barrels. I have seen a lot of their stuff on Youtube. Are they any good? Better recommendations?

If the XD is anything like the XDM it should handle anything you put in it. I'm yet to find anything my XDMs won't fire, some are dirtier than others but otherwise there isn't really a noticeable difference to my mind.
I never got to try places to eat in Front Royal, but I've delivered gas to several 7-11s there. The one on Royal Ave was particularly fun to get to, coming off 66 at (I think) exit 13 and taking the rollercoaster ride on 55 ... an 'experience' when you have 7000 gallons of liquid in a 9000 gallon space = plenty of empty room for it to slosh backwards and forwards and side to side. All that's irrelevent here though, except to say it's a beautiful part of Virginia you live in.

Thanks. Yeah, that road can be a bit nuts, especially with bad weather. Not as fun as a lot of other things.

There aren't a whole lot of nice places to eat around here, but I've found Mom's Country Kitchen (It's in the same plaza as Rite-Aid) as a pretty nice, down to earth place to eat. South Street Grille isn't too bad, either. Other than that, it's just your basic chain restaurants all over, and they're hit or miss most of the time. Spelunkers is a decent alternative to fast food. Similar menu as most fast food places, but the food itself is much better. Everything is prepared to order, so if you're up for a good burger or philly cheese steak, they're pretty decent.

Welcome to OCDO.

Shame on everybody else for not encouraging you to sign up for the VA-ALERTS from VCDL, if not joining them.

There is an OC dinner next Tuesday (2/19) in Sterling. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Va-tap-house-Sterling-Tuesday-2-19-13-1900hrs While it might be a bit of a drive it's a great way to meet folks and get a lot of questions asked and answered.

There's also a lunch in King George on the 16th http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ng-George-Open-Carry-Lunch-Feb-16-2013-at-1PM

Announcements for events like those get put up as stickies at the top of the main page, Check regularly to see what's near (a relative term) you. Maybe one day you will be brave enough to announce one in the Front Royal area just to see who comes out of the woodwork.:lol:

I'll look into those. Thanks for the heads up. I have an old friend in Sterling that I haven't seen in a couple years. Might try to head that way and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Thanks, everyone, for the welcomes. Nice to be on a forum that has a mature member base. It's a nice change from some of the other forums I visit occasionally.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Nice to be on a forum that has a mature member base. .

roflmao.gif

wizard_of_ahs

Gloucester Area

I'm not from VA, but I DO visit often (family). I always OC while there since I do not have a VA Permit. Are there any "local" ordinances I need to watch out for?? I asked my son, but he's unsure. Thanks.

The Wolfhound

we have pre-emption

Wizard, local government may not have any laws more stringent than state laws on firearms. Some areas may attempt enforcement but they are usually met with a lawsuit which straightens them out rather quickly. It is a mature enough law that there are few issues any longer. Local governments fume but tow the line when advised that they cannot do what they want.