Thread: Denied Permit to Purchase a hand gun

Denied Permit to Purchase a hand gun

I'm new to the discussion threads, but don't know where else to turn... I applied for a permit to purchase a gun and was denied. I have a clean background and am an upstanding citizen. However, 7 years ago during a rough patch in my life (beginning a divorce and losing custody of my son) I admitted myself into a mental institution until I could get through my depression. I was there for 4 months and released with a clean bill of mental health. The question on the permit to purchase application asked if I'd ever been committed to a mental institution, so I answered yes because I'd committed myself. Now I've been denied and I want to know your thoughts on appealing the denial decision.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to move this to a state forum where you are from. Laws vary from state to state.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heaven_923 View Post
    I'm new to the discussion threads, but don't know where else to turn... I applied for a permit to purchase a gun and was denied. I have a clean background and am an upstanding citizen. However, 7 years ago during a rough patch in my life (beginning a divorce and losing custody of my son) I admitted myself into a mental institution until I could get through my depression. I was there for 4 months and released with a clean bill of mental health. The question on the permit to purchase application asked if I'd ever been committed to a mental institution, so I answered yes because I'd committed myself. Now I've been denied and I want to know your thoughts on appealing the denial decision.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Moved this to the Nebraska sub-forum for you.

You may wish to contact someone one in these local groups:

http://www.neopencarry.org/
    or
    http://nebraskafirearms.org/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Being committed is involuntary. Checking yourself in is not a commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Being committed is involuntary. Checking yourself in is not a commitment.
    That is my understanding for federal, and most states, but things might be different in Nebraska. Though it seems that the president wants to ban anybody who has any mental health counseling banned from firearms. People who are dangerous should be locked up whether they are criminal or nuts. The rest of the people should not have their rights infringed in any manner.

OP if you were released you are not dangerous, the sheriff was wrong, IMO appeal.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-15-2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Get an attorney competent in this issue and be prepared to lay out a painful amount of $$$.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Though it seems that the president wants to ban anybody who has any mental health counseling banned from firearms.
    And then they'll require mental health counseling to buy a gun .... hey, both would be constitutional in their minds

Where is the meteor that we really need?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    --snip--

Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a ..........bzzzzzzzz...... crackel...
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And then they'll require mental health counseling to buy a gun .... hey, both would be constitutional in their minds

Don't they do that in Ct., or they are proposing it?
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a ..........bzzzzzzzz...... crackel...

Whole of DC vaporized ... your tax refund check may be delayed.

I'd be willing to wait a while ...

Banned
    Don't they do that in Ct., or they are proposing it?
    http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/H/201...247-R00-HB.htm

Not yet but they are getting there ....

Re: Denied Permit to Purchase a hand gun

The term 'committed' is meaning against your will(involuntary), ie , TDO(temporary detention order). As you went voluntarily that does not apply to you.

Do your self a favor and check no next time.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

BATFE definition of "committed"

COMMITTED TO A MENTAL INSTITUTION

This term means a formal commitment of a person to a mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority. The term includes a commitment to a mental institution involuntarily. The term also includes a commitment for mental defectiveness or mental illness, and commitments for other reasons such as for drug use. The term does not include a person in a mental institution for observation or any voluntary admission to a mental institution.
    http://gunowners.org/ne0703.htm

************************************************** *****************************************

Nebraska statutes etc.

Section 69-2430

(4) An applicant denied a permit to carry a concealed handgun may appeal to the district court of the judicial district of the county in which he or she resides or the county in which he or she applied for the permit pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act.

Section 69-2433

(5) Not have been found in the previous ten years to be a mentally ill and dangerous person under the Nebraska Mental Health Commitment Act or a similar law of another jurisdiction or not be currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Hopefully the OP has been following the thread and now knows the statutes, and what action he can take.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Hopefully the OP has been following the thread and now knows the statutes, and what action he can take.
    He's only seen it if he did so w/o logging in first. His first, last and only visit is the OP w/time & date stamp above.

But then again, it's been a fun exercise for me.

I was born and raised in NE. Used to bring my JROTC team rifle home via public transportation, was 16-17 yo.

Hope he comes back and takes the required action. Think it might have all been avoided if he has known the law(s) first and simply said "No."