• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TheHossUSMC

Orion_13

I have a conceal carry course coming up this weekend. With a tad bit of nerves rolling due to unknowns I've been hitting Youtube pretty hard for insights and tid bits of info. I have run across a guy that I can't recommend high enough to watch for open carry people. His nick is "TheHossUSMC". He has a ton of videos that covers just about any gun related topic you can come up with. One of the most talked about topics he has, in fact it was a weekly topic for a while on his channel, is open carry. His advice and opinion is really spot on for the most part. I recommend you give his channel a view.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL61E01E85480AF658

Orion
Semper Gero

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have a conceal carry course coming up this weekend. With a tad bit of nerves rolling due to unknowns I've been hitting Youtube pretty hard for insights and tid bits of info. I have run across a guy that I can't recommend high enough to watch for open carry people. His nick is "TheHossUSMC". He has a ton of videos that covers just about any gun related topic you can come up with. One of the most talked about topics he has, in fact it was a weekly topic for a while on his channel, is open carry. His advice and opinion is really spot on for the most part. I recommend you give his channel a view.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL61E01E85480AF658

Orion
Semper Gero

Totally ignoring your YouTube find.

Why the case of the nerves about a CCW course? Just remember that before you get out of your car to go in to where the course is held, look and see that you did vremember to wear pants and that your fly is zipped up.

CCW courses are not like blood tests that you have to spend days studying for.

stay safe.

Orion_13

One of the things that makes me nervous about the class is shouting with people I know nothing about. You hear so many horror stories about people these days and not knowing or not exercising even the basics of safety.

Any bet takers on someone in my class with a new gun and zero rounds through it? :/

Orion

motoxmann

is this a course to get your permit? or a voluntary course you're taking to further train yourself?
either way, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. its a training course, meaning there will be a teacher, who is also the "safety officer" for the course. he/she will be keeping an eye on things at all times, and will not proceed to a dangerous stage of the course until he/she knows there is no danger.

Xulld

The Hoss is an exceptional person, he has a great channel, and is an excellent rep for the gun and most importantly the OC community.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
One of the things that makes me nervous about the class is shouting with people I know nothing about. You hear so many horror stories about people these days and not knowing or not exercising even the basics of safety.

Any bet takers on someone in my class with a new gun and zero rounds through it? :/

Orion

The only person who should be shouting is the instructor, and then only to be heard over the sound of folks shooting.

If you only went and did things with folks you know something about you would never do anything. And you already know something about the folks that will be in your class - they have some interest in some sort of training.

Even experience shooters can have a bad moment. Most of the time the fact that they were following all three of the other [ominous music] The Four Rules[/ominous music] keeps them from doing much damage, but it can happen. Remain alert (no tunnel vision focusing on your target), which is in itself good training for going outside, armed or not.

One way you migt guage the possibility of "something happening" is by if, and how much, emphasis the instructor puts on safe shooting before going to the range and then before anyone steps up to the firing line. IMHO mere range nazi rules like no loaded guns behind the firing line do nothing to keep anybody safe. Better rules are ones like "keep it holstered off the line" and "reloading magazines anywhere is OK but you must use the bullet barrel/trap if you are removing/inserting magazines off the firing line".

Relax. Remember to breathe.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I didn't proof read my reply to you or I would have caught that typo of shout and corrected it to "shooting with people I know nothing about". Sorry for any confusion.

Orion

No apology needed. Just having fun yanking your chain.

So - apparently you survived the class. I'm guessing you have no new openings in your body, because you do not mention any. I'm also guessing that there was no rampant violation of [ominous music]The Four Rules[/ominous music]. But it would be nice if you confirmed that all went well, or regaled us with your tale of ducking and dodging errant rounds.

stay safe.

Orion_13

Yes, there was one violation to one of the 4 rules. The instructor was able to get the gun pointed back down range quickly though. I was also confirmed in my believe that someone would show up with a new gun that was never fired. It was a 45 cal 1911. I didn't think he was ever going to get it to operate through the first magazine! Failure to feed, Failure to ejects, it was really a down hill experience to witness. :eek:

Orion

motoxmann

Yes, there was one violation to one of the 4 rules. The instructor was able to get the gun pointed back down range quickly though. I was also confirmed in my believe that someone would show up with a new gun that was never fired. It was a 45 cal 1911. I didn't think he was ever going to get it to operate through the first magazine! Failure to feed, Failure to ejects, it was really a down hill experience to witness. :eek:

Orion

oy! what brand was the gun? and what ammo was being used? my guess is the user just wasn't holding it firmly enough. too loose of a grip often absorbs too much of the recoil, preventing the action from cycling fully.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
oy! what brand was the gun? and what ammo was being used? my guess is the user just wasn't holding it firmly enough. too loose of a grip often absorbs too much of the recoil, preventing the action from cycling fully.

Another 1911 fanboi defending the lack of "break-in time" and not enough of the approved accessories.

BTW, I hate Glocks, but not because they work right out of the box.

At the prices asked for firearms I expect them to work out of the box. If it "needs" x, or y, oz added to make that happen, why is the manufacturer not including it as part of the finished product? I'm not buying an automobile I cannot drive off the lot because I need to buy wheels and tires for it.

For the record, with the exception of changing grips/stocks to make them look prettier, every single one of my handguns (revolvers and bottom feeders including two 1911s from different makers) is bone stock. They all work and if I would pick a different one as my EDC I would trust my life to it without wanting/needing to foo-furaw it up first.

stay safe.

Orion_13

I don't know the brand but I can tell you about the first three clicks. Inserted the mag, racked the slide, click. Racked the slide again, click. Ejected the mag, inserted the mag, racked the slide, click. Banged the mag, rack the slide, then finally BANG!!!! Followed by click...

I really don't care that it was a 1911. It could have been a glock or even one like mine. He should have ran a few rounds through it before the class to make sure. I had a friend purchase a new revolver 2 weeks ago and it broke the first time the hammer was pulled back. These things are mechanical and right now they are being made at a really fast pace. It isn't wise to go out in a situation that you are relying on it when you have never shot it, in my opinion.

Orion

motoxmann

I don't know the brand but I can tell you about the first three clicks. Inserted the mag, racked the slide, click. Racked the slide again, click. Ejected the mag, inserted the mag, racked the slide, click. Banged the mag, rack the slide, then finally BANG!!!! Followed by click...

that sounds more like too much oil in the firing pin area, which is common with a lot of different manufacturers. this is the exact reason nearly all manufacturers recommend a proper cleaning BEFORE ever shooting the gun, because during manufacturing there is often too much oil in certain areas and not enough in others. they assemble them with the knowledge they may sit on the shelf for quite some time, and need to prevent corrosion during these potentially very long times. and it makes perfect sense to do this too, on both ends.
so that I would not deem the fault of the gun, I would deem that the fault of the owner for not reading the manual properly before firing the gun for the first time, as well as not taking proper care of the gun.