• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

License question

hrdware

Can you have valid ccw from two states or more at the same time?

It depends on the laws of the states.

Some states require you to be a resident of the state in order to have a CCW from that state. Once you establish residency in another state, that permit is no longer valid.

Many states have non-resident permits that would allow you to carry in that state and others as well.

There is no exact cut and dry answer here, you would have to look at the laws for the states in question.

xd shooter

+1.

As a for instance, I have a MI CPL AND a Utah Concealed Permit. I don't see any benefit by having both, but I had obtained the Utah Permit while living in GA. After moving to MI, I obtained it as well.

Bullbuster

As some have mentioned already YES you can have multiple permits. The key is the state you live in is the resident permit and the others would be non-resident, mind you not all states issue non-resident permits. I got a VA permit when I was stationed in Norfolk. It was a resident at the time. When I moved to OK I called them and had it change to a non-resident. I will be getting a resident OK here soon.

The only reason someone would really need multiple permits is to be covered in states that one permit may not be valid in. If you travel around the country then its a good idea to have them.

A good book to get, I've been getting them for 5 years now, is the "Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the 50 States". I believe the OCDO homepage has a link to it if not a google search will get it for you. I never travel without it as I usually travel to 5-10 states a year.

Glock 1st fan

Hey Sgt Riser. Had a blast Saturday at the class and appreciate your help with understanding Grandpa a little more and what he went through. I also hope that your question got answered too during class.

Have you uploaded the class photos yet? Anyway tell everyone I wish them the best and if they have any questions they can call us at any time.

Kirby

hermannr

To answer the question, yes, you can have as many concealed carry licenses as you are qualified for, but they may or may not do you any good. Some states will accept any resident license, but not a non-resident license. MI is the first one that comes to mind for me.

Some states recognize no license but their own...OR, NY, CT and several others. Some states will not license just any out-of-state resident OR and NY come to mind. For whatever reason, I do not know, WI only recognizes VA non-resident permits, but not resident VA permits.

Best source of information for this and other licensed carry questions I have found is www.handgunlaw.us