• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA doing a good job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmcbeth

Banned
While some courts have said that the right to bear arms includes the right of the individual to have them for the protection of his person and property as well as the right of the people to bear them collectively (People v. Brown, 253 Mich. 537; State v. Duke, 42 Tex. 455), the cases are unanimous in holding that the term "arms" as used in constitutional provisions refers only to those weapons which are ordinarily used for military or public defense purposes ....from DOJ Brief to SCOTUS, US v. Miller, 1939

Why don't they try to educate people on the law and show people that ARs/M16s are covered under our rights to keep and bear arms? ... their latest ad

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...EyBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

is a dud IMO .... there is a 5 sec ad for those w/o ad blockers .. its a "scare" ad

People are more moved by what our founding fathers have said and what SCOTUS has already ruled on ... people have not read the court opinions, briefs, or listened to oral arguments ... ads should focus on this aspect ...

()pen(arry

The NRA is a business like any other, be it a bank, a factory, a hospital, a school, or a government. They're all businesses, with humans seeking to further their individual and collective interests, taking actions as determined by the combination of internal and external incentives. The NRA has learned that it can rely upon extensive public support due purely to perception and habit, and has no need of genuinely pursuing the philosophical interests that its nominal raison d'etre would imply. If companies like Comcast and Bank of America can continue to be among the largest in their industry, despite atrocious products and service, why is anyone surprised that the NRA is not actually particularly interested in gun rights?

WalkingWolf

The NRA is a business like any other, be it a bank, a factory, a hospital, a school, or a government. They're all businesses, with humans seeking to further their individual and collective interests, taking actions as determined by the combination of internal and external incentives. The NRA has learned that it can rely upon extensive public support due purely to perception and habit, and has no need of genuinely pursuing the philosophical interests that its nominal raison d'etre would imply. If companies like Comcast and Bank of America can continue to be among the largest in their industry, despite atrocious products and service, why is anyone surprised that the NRA is not actually particularly interested in gun rights?

You are completely correct on the above. It is why I will not give money to the NRA, though it seems that they may be moving more of the direction that the 2A is not about hunting and shooting but about the original purpose of the 2A. When the NRA stops pushing privilege cards, and any gun controls or regulations, I might reconsider giving them my money.

eye95

No.

This thread is begging for criticism of the NRA. I predict it will be locked in short order as that invitation is going to result in a pile of rules violations.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
  • (12) NO BASHING OF OTHER GUN RIGHTS ORGANIZATIONS: Regardless of how convinced you are that another gun rights organization is not doing their job, this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization. All other rants against other gun rights groups will be deleted or the thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.