Thread: new here, looking for a holster

new here, looking for a holster

hey guys, about to buy ether a Glock 22 or a Walther PPQ and am looking for a lever 3 retention system. i have looked into the SERPA level 3 Duty Holster but it doesnt seem to be made for the Walther PPQ. any suggestions for the PPQ?

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalgamer View Post
    hey guys, about to buy ether a Glock 22 or a Walther PPQ and am looking for a lever 3 retention system. i have looked into the SERPA level 3 Duty Holster but it doesnt seem to be made for the Walther PPQ. any suggestions for the PPQ?
    Well you can look into the more expensive level 3 systems by other vendors or just narrow handgun choice to the Glock. I hear the Glock is a excellent firearm.

Safariland 6360 ALS SLS Level III Mid-Ride Holster is available for the PPQ but it will start around $100. I believe the blackhawk holsters are around 80 for level 3 holsters.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Re: new here, looking for a holster

I have a safariland als and it is an excellent holster. Highly recommended!
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

new here, and looking for a holster

Hey everyone I have a S&w 39-2 and can't find many options with this gun any suggestions
    Last edited by sean39-2; 02-26-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: change

Quote Originally Posted by sean39-2 View Post
    Hey everyone I have a S&w 39-2 and can't find many options with this gun any suggestions
    I carried that gun for years and loved it, unfortunately when I changed jobs I had to give my 39 back. The slide on the 39 is the same size as other model guns, and you can take it to a gun store to compare. There are also many retro holsters out there made for the 39.

What type of holster are you looking for?
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I carried that gun for years and loved it, unfortunately when I changed jobs I had to give my 39 back. The slide on the 39 is the same size as other model guns, and you can take it to a gun store to compare. There are also many retro holsters out there made for the 39.

What type of holster are you looking for?
    Right now something to carry openly I am in the process of getting my CWP and would like to get a concealed holster as well and a lock one if there's one that would fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by sean39-2 View Post
    Right now something to carry openly I am in the process of getting my CWP and would like to get a concealed holster as well and a lock one if there's one that would fit it.
    Well if you are looking for kydex you probably will have to have one made, unless you can find a current model that has the same slide and trigger guard dimensions. The canvas holsters like Uncle Mike's will fit almost any gun. Vintage leather duty holsters for your gun you should be able to find online though gun auctions and ebay.

Then there is the option of making use of your local tradesmen. If there are tack shops they often make custom holsters, same for shoe repair shops, and probably will be cheaper than using a custom holster maker online, or at least save you the shipping. Or you could study holster making and make your own. Either kydex, or leather both are actually easy.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Sean you will be able to find a holster for it depending on your personal taste. I have used this weapon before with a Navy supplied leather holster. I cannot remember the holster brand, but the military were not the only people using it. A little history for you to help in your search.

The Illinois State Police adopted the Model 39 in 1967, an action which helped ingratiate semi-automatic pistols with law enforcement. This publicity helped commercial sales and set the stage for the more acceptable Model 59 with its high capacity magazine at least in undercover or detective police use where the DA feature (and the larger magazine capacity) was considered by many to be superior to single-stack semi-automatics and revolvers of the time period.[1]
    The Model 39 was used by Naval Special Warfare units during the Vietnam War.[2] The Model 39 was issued to officers-in-charge (OICs) of MST-2 detachments as their sidearm. SEAL Teams used either the Model 39 without modification or a modified version, the Mk 22 Mod 0, which was called the "hush puppy".[2] The modified pistol had a suppressor with a slide lock (which kept the slide from moving backwards upon firing, thereby decreasing produced noise) The Mk 22 Mod 0 also had raised iron sights, to provide easier sighting over a bulky suppressor. The gun's purpose was to eliminate sentry dogs or guards without alarming the main target.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Don't forget the belt! The biggest "holster" mistake I see students make is a cheap belt that sags under the weight of a handgun. Get a belt from a holster manufacturer. It will be made to support the weight, and will be much more comfortable, and last far longer.

I wear a Bianchi belt. It's 22 years old. It still doesn't sag. Now, at $85, it's not cheap. But look at it as $4 per year.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip