• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Civil recourse?

TFred

I heard a caller on the Ric Edelman radio show today. (Ric Edelman has a show about investing, retirement, 401Ks, etc.)

The caller was a resident of New York state, and was very unhappy because with the stroke of a pen, the governor essentially wiped out most of the value of his gun collection, which he was intending to keep long term and pass on to his children.

I wonder if there would be any chance to prevail in a civil suit for the government's action essentially killing the value of his investment without due cause?

TFred

motoxmann

His investment is a mobile one .. he can move them out of NY ...

He can file a suit if he likes ...

I was going to say the same. moving is an option. or if he has any relatives in any other state he can "lend" the firearms to them for storage. renting/buying a small storage unit in a bordering state is also an option (just double check the fine print for a potential storage space to ensure they don't restrict/ban storage of firearms in their units)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The NY law gives him a year to move his collection out of NYS. If he fails to take due dilligance and allows his collection to be confiscated he may (very slim IMHO) have a case of NYS violating the Takings Clause. Given the amount of time he has to protect his investment, I seriously doubt a court is going to be sympathetc if he misses the deadline.

I have further doubts about the "collector" status of this guy's arsenal. If it were a collection with significant value he should already know how to protect it. Could he just be using Edelman's show as a soapbox?

stay safe.

Z1P2

I would also think he would have a straight second amendment case. The SCOTUS has been ruling against states and cities with laws that clearly infringe upon the second amendment such as the NY governor has done.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would also think he would have a straight second amendment case. The SCOTUS has been ruling against states and cities with laws that clearly infringe upon the second amendment such as the NY governor has done.

I do too .. but he the guy doesn't or he would have filed suit .. right?