• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The problem with being "Grandfathered" after an assault weapons ban.

Tactical_MTN40

I wanted to express some concerns about the possible high-cap mag bans here in Colorado and the rest of the US. Even though us high-cap gun owners are grandfathered in how can we prove we owned these firearms before the ban? How can we get replacement parts and mags for our weapons? This to me opens up a world of harassment from the government and law enforcement. My major concerns are my xdm40 is my only carry weapon for self defense and if I get stopped by an LEO I would have to prove I owned this firearm before this ban took place. I imagine in this situation the LEO would take possession of such firearm until you can prove you are grandfathered. The other concern is how would this affect replacement parts for such weapons? Could I still buy extra mags? Could I even buy a replacement spring for my old mags? The problems are clear. We as law-abiding citizens and lawful gun owners could possibly face weapons charges over a weapon we legally own. In the end it would be our word against theirs. I'm aware this bill has yet to be approved but wanted to show my concern for the topic. These bans show no direct relation to slowing gun violence, it only opens the doors to criminals to have easier targets. I myself never carried for protection until my home was broken into and I was robbed at gunpoint. I'd love to live in a perfect world where I don't have to carry for defense but it is what it is and you have to be prepared. Do I blame the gun he used to rob me... NO. I blame the criminal for his actions though he was never caught and brought to justice. A gun ban would not have stopped this robbery as he used a lever action rifle. These types of crimes and mostly committed with the most readily available weapon. Which in most cases are stolen or obtained from people they know.

So back to topic I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help with proving I am grandfathered. I want to contact a lawyer and have some paperwork done and mailed to me first class mail and not open it. Inside would contain my serial numbers of such firearms and date of purchase. Any advice on this would be great! Thanks for reading!

Tactical_MTN40

Grandfathering is still a taking in one way or another. If you can't sell them, the government has seized there value.

Very true. I don't ever plan on selling mine but it sucks for the people who need to but can't. Here in Colorado their trying to pass a bill that puts liability on all firearms manufacturers and dealers for damages caused by anything they sell. That gives the message to people they are no longer responsible for their actions. Its outrageous. Again this one is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jeff. State

Banned
Your entire premise is flawed, Colorado's proposed and soon to be law is stinking ILLEGAL.

Compliance and even consideration of this "Law" is not an option.

Those who comply, "may your chains weigh lightly".

Troy bilt

I thought I was raising a god kid. He gets Honor Roll every 9 weeks. Has never been in any trouble at school. But I am now forced to raise a felon.:cuss: I will teach him not to comply to these laws. I will teach him that he has rights that can not be taken from him unless he gives them up. I will be proud of my little felon.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Very true. I don't ever plan on selling mine but it sucks for the people who need to but can't. Here in Colorado their trying to pass a bill that puts liability on all firearms manufacturers and dealers for damages caused by anything they sell. That gives the message to people they are no longer responsible for their actions. Its outrageous. Again this one is just the tip of the iceberg.

There was a federal law passed during Bush that makes gun man. & dealers immune.

motoxmann

it's always a good idea to keep receipts and bills of sale. this is just one more reason to.
but yes, as mentioned by another poster above, this is also just another political movement to encourage registration. it's complete BS

eye95

x2
I've personally seen the law somewhere in the recent past, but can't seem to find it right now through a few searches

Some States have done this, but his post implies that the feds did so. I don't know of a federal law.

Anyway, he constantly makes assertions about the law and almost never follows that rule about citing to authority.

eye95

That seems to protect them from liability for criminal acts with their products. The poster claimed that there was a federal law protecting them from liability for any use of their product.

So the request for a cite still stands.