• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is all the Ammo

LOERetired

I went to three wal-mart stores, Portage, Sun-Prairie and Madison looking for 45 auto ammo and they were sold out. When did this happen, people buying ammo like it wasn't going to be available anymore. Guess I'll have to check online for ammo!!!!

Interceptor_Knight

I went to three wal-mart stores, Portage, Sun-Prairie and Madison looking for 45 auto ammo and they were sold out. When did this happen, people buying ammo like it wasn't going to be available anymore. Guess I'll have to check online for ammo!!!!

This happened in December and is still going on. People are clearing the shelves, not for their own use but to resell at a huge profit. Guns AND ammo. People have created an artificial shortage. It has zero to do with the DHS.

Tactical_MTN40

People want to buy ammo before it gets heavily taxed and prices go up. I know that's why I did. That and possibility of them requiring background checks for ammo purchases. Several states have proposed bills suggesting this outrageous idea.

cch10000

What happened to everything

I was looking for a Heritage Arms 22 pistol today, None available in the whole country from a dealer,,,I want a specific pistol,,How can all guns just instantly disappear from all dealers

wisopen1990

i had the same problem finding ammo just so i had something to plink with and practice but i found my local pawn shop had some cheap federal estate ammo $20/box 50 might load up on it before they sell out also

Firearms Iinstuctor

I always figured for serious purposes that 300 rounds per pistol, 200 rounds per defensive shot gun , 500 rounds per rifle. Is the right amount to have in stock.

That dosen't inclued ammo brought for paractice or hunting, trade ect. If one practices a lot having thousands of rounds on hand makes sense.

Their are lots of people who thought buying a box at a time was a lot of ammo. Now that they see that SHTF is possible they know they need more thus they are buying boxs at once not one at a time every couple of years.

Multiply this factor by hundreds of thousands of new gun owners it dosen't take long to buy every thing up.

Law abider

Fleet farm in Hudson was almost all out of handgun ammo. I started collecting soon after the CT shooting and managed to get considerable amounts of 357 ammo, brass hollow points that is and some 38sp. I was able to obtain the heavy 158 grain hollow points too. The last time I went 2 weeks ago almost all handgun ammo was out including 357 except for 2 cases of 158 grain aluminum bullets. I am letting my leo buddy re load all my brass. He only wants money for the cost of bullet and powder, not labor. Now there was some shotgun and rifle ammo left in Hudson Fleet Farm.
Try gun stores in small towns. I was told that they are more expensive, but if you need it now they will more likely have it. I am stopping in at mine this weekend. Hope to get more.
Grape shot is right about where the ammo is going.

WalkingWolf

Be patient it will clear up in time, the bad part is that the prices will not go all the way down. You should look into reloading when primers and brass becomes available again. If you just want to shoot and not collect ammo it might be a good time to look into muzzle loading.

protias

I can't find where I read this, but ammo manufacturers are 9 months behind, and manufacturing 9 billion rounds a week.

WalkingWolf

I can't find where I read this, but ammo manufacturers are 9 months behind, and manufacturing 9 billion rounds a week.

Russian primers are now available, or they were last time I checked. I believe Russia may pick up some of the slack before long. Last time I checked Fiocchi primers were available also.

anmut

Everyone went crazy on guns and ammo after CT. Not only that but there was a huge percentage of people that didn't own an AR but did remember the 1994 ban. The bought rifles but then needed ammo. So we are dealing with a large increase in demand from new shooters as well as panic buying and then just normal amounts of stock piling that people did before December.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Everyone went crazy on guns and ammo after CT. Not only that but there was a huge percentage of people that didn't own an AR but did remember the 1994 ban. The bought rifles but then needed ammo. So we are dealing with a large increase in demand from new shooters as well as panic buying and then just normal amounts of stock piling that people did before December.

Radical increase in new gun buyers + panic buying + hording + buying for resale + massive government purchases = very small supply left for very large demand = much higher prices for what is left.

I've been in three local gun shops today and their prices on pistol ammo is double what it was just months ago - only low tier .45 acp was in stock at all.