• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First post: questions about open carry holsters

Ajs1991

First time posting here, so here's my questions.
I very recently purchased my first pistol (s&w m&p 9mm range and carry kit) and was wondering if the holster that it comes with is legal to OC in wichita. I was told that it must have some kind of retention so I purchased a cheap bulldog holster but it is not comfortable at all. I couldn't find any answer all the law says is in a holster on your hip. If anyone can give me some help on this it would be great! Thanks for looking!!

KTCerberus

Retention is not required in Wichita, or Kansas. Somebody was just inserting their opinions into the law.

I occasionally carry one of my handguns without retention, but the holster is angled and fitted to make it difficult to draw except by the wearer. A back-up, a easily accessible knife or some other kind of plan is a good idea if not using retention.

In my opinion retention on a holster is a false safety anyways. If somebody is trying to grab my firearm, my first reaction will be to force it down in the holster and not allow its removal weather or not a retention feature is in place. Second, I go for the back up weapon.

Ajs1991

Retention is not required in Wichita, or Kansas. Somebody was just inserting their opinions into the law.

I occasionally carry one of my handguns without retention, but the holster is angled and fitted to make it difficult to draw except by the wearer. A back-up, a easily accessible knife or some other kind of plan is a good idea if not using retention.

In my opinion retention on a holster is a false safety anyways. If somebody is trying to grab my firearm, my first reaction will be to force it down in the holster and not allow its removal weather or not a retention feature is in place. Second, I go for the back up weapon.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure and don't want to break any laws. Btw I OCed in my local dillons today and it went great!

Cottonbaler

I saw this post in the sidebar on my way to the KY subforum and thought I'd drop in. I OC a Ruger SR9 in an Uncle Mike's Reflex holster. This is my first handgun and wanted a Kydex holster with enough retention to securely hold my sidearm but would allow a rapid presentation if necessary. I was thinking about a Blackhawk Serpa until I started reading the horror stories of debris jamming the release button. When I read about the Reflex I took a chance and ordered one after unsuccessfully trying to find one locally.

Rather than pushing a button attached to a spring and pivot pin mechanism which can become jammed with dirt, the Reflex securely retains a pistol using a retention lug on the outer wall of the holster in combination with a press arm on the body side of the holster. The sidearm remains locked in if it is pulled directly upward but releases by holding the grip and twisting toward your body (see video below).

The holster comes with a belt loop attachment and removing three screws allows you to adjust the cant. A paddle mount is included and is secured with the top two screws. I prefer the paddle attachment because my gunbelt (a $12 Walmart 1.5" wide work belt with a nylon reinforcement strip double stitched on the back side) is too thick to weave through the belt loop mount. This holster and belt combo is absolutely rock solid and does not ride up during the draw as shown by the gentleman in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAzop9u1X4

Last edited: