Thread: "Who we are" series in the Free Lance-Star

"Who we are" series in the Free Lance-Star

The bias is dripping... but such as it is...

http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsd...-the-firearms/

Comments are closed, I wonder why? [/sarcasm]

TFred

20% of Virginians have a CHP. Of those 20%, how many are aware of the depth of the fight going on to allow them to have something to carry concealed, let alone continue to be allowed to carry concealed?

Don't answer - it's a rhetorical question.

Three folks trying to put down the notion that gun owners are not nuts and are not paranoid militia members practicing for the overthrow of the government. For that I thank them. I did notice that none of them claimed to be NRA members.

For buying into and supporting every "compromise" since 1934 I'd almost travel north of the Ni to -- well, there's this rule on OCDO.

I wonder if there will be an OCer interviewed. That ought to be "right interesting" as the saying goes.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Of course there is a serious error in the article. Last I heard there was somewhere just north of 300,000 CHPs in the state, which has a total population of just under 6 million people.

There is no way to carve a 20% figure out of those two raw numbers, even when restricting it to "adults".

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Of course there is a serious error in the article. Last I heard there was somewhere just north of 300,000 CHPs in the state, which has a total population of just under 6 million people.

There is no way to carve a 20% figure out of those two raw numbers, even when restricting it to "adults".

TFred
    Hey! We were ahead! Don't mess with that, m'kay?

If they want to credit us with more CHPs then we can stand there and say "See how common it is? You say it is one out of five." Let them be the ones to admit their statistics are false.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Should be called: "We Don't Know Much About Reporting"

TFred- you must have to buy aspirin by the case if you are a regular reader of the Free Lance-Star.

U. S. Census estimates Virginia's 2012 population at 8,185,867. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/51000.html

From the Virginia State Patrol:

"As of December 31, 2011, there were 268,009 active concealed handgun permits issued by Virginia circuit courts maintained in VCIN.", and "47,626 were issued in 2011." http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads...ual-Report.pdf

So, let's say at least as many more new permits were filled in 2012 as in 2011, that's about 315,000 permits divided into 8,185,867 makes about what? 3.8%?

4% of Virginia residents have CHPs. That falls just a bit short of the reporter's claim of 1 in 5.

What I said above!

Stop messing thing up when we are ahead.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by B. Reddy View Post

4% of Virginia residents have CHPs. That falls just a bit short of the reporter's claim of 1 in 5.
    5 - 1 = 4. That's how you convert between ratios and percentages, right?

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    5 - 1 = 4. That's how you convert between ratios and percentages, right?
    With those kinds of math skillz, this explains why she is a reporter and not a cashier at McDonald's!

I agree Skid, the author did specify "adults", so that still would put the number at well over a million CHP holders.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What I said above!

Stop messing thing up when we are ahead.

stay safe.
    OK, OK! I was going to send in a LTE to the Free Lance-Red Star but instead I will go split some firewood.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Reddy View Post
    OK, OK! I was going to send in a LTE to the Free Lance-Red Star but instead I will go split some firewood.
    Good choice - you won't be wating your time and cleaning up afterward is so much easier.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Someone did end up writing a Letter to the Editor, appearing in Tuesday's paper.

TFred

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...2262013/756114

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    8,185,867 as of July 2012.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!