• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Who we are" series in the Free Lance-Star

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
20% of Virginians have a CHP. Of those 20%, how many are aware of the depth of the fight going on to allow them to have something to carry concealed, let alone continue to be allowed to carry concealed?

Don't answer - it's a rhetorical question.

Three folks trying to put down the notion that gun owners are not nuts and are not paranoid militia members practicing for the overthrow of the government. For that I thank them. I did notice that none of them claimed to be NRA members.:D

For buying into and supporting every "compromise" since 1934 I'd almost travel north of the Ni to -- well, there's this rule on OCDO.

I wonder if there will be an OCer interviewed. That ought to be "right interesting" as the saying goes.

stay safe.

TFred

Of course there is a serious error in the article. Last I heard there was somewhere just north of 300,000 CHPs in the state, which has a total population of just under 6 million people.

There is no way to carve a 20% figure out of those two raw numbers, even when restricting it to "adults".

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Of course there is a serious error in the article. Last I heard there was somewhere just north of 300,000 CHPs in the state, which has a total population of just under 6 million people.

There is no way to carve a 20% figure out of those two raw numbers, even when restricting it to "adults".

TFred

Hey! We were ahead! Don't mess with that, m'kay?

If they want to credit us with more CHPs then we can stand there and say "See how common it is? You say it is one out of five." Let them be the ones to admit their statistics are false.

stay safe.

B. Reddy

Should be called: "We Don't Know Much About Reporting"

TFred- you must have to buy aspirin by the case if you are a regular reader of the Free Lance-Star.

U. S. Census estimates Virginia's 2012 population at 8,185,867. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/51000.html

From the Virginia State Patrol:

"As of December 31, 2011, there were 268,009 active concealed handgun permits issued by Virginia circuit courts maintained in VCIN.", and "47,626 were issued in 2011." http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/2011_VSP_Facts-Figures_Annual-Report.pdf

So, let's say at least as many more new permits were filled in 2012 as in 2011, that's about 315,000 permits divided into 8,185,867 makes about what? 3.8%?

4% of Virginia residents have CHPs. That falls just a bit short of the reporter's claim of 1 in 5.