• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Advice

The GrimRooster

Okay, so this has nothing to do with open carry per-se, but there seems to be a lot of like minded individuals in here so I figured I'd ask my question. I currently own an AR, Mossberg 500, SP2022 (9mm), a G19, and a G22. Herein lies the problem... That is all that I "need". I don't really hunt, I sport shoot a little but the primary purpose of my firearms is self defense. That being said I'm dying to get another... But what? As far as self defense is concerned I'm good. So that really only leaves (for me) collecting purposes. I've thought about a 1911 "Hitman" replica, I've also thought about a Flat Dark Earth G17. But I don't need another Glock and the 1911 seemed to be more trouble that it would be worth to build. So after a lot of rambling and too much detail, here is my question... With cool factor being the primary purchase purpose, and functionality being second. What should be my next handgun purchase?

p.s. I'm not a revolver guy, nothing wrong with them, just not my style.

The GrimRooster

You need more .... what if one needs repair?

Collecting? Have no clue what would be right for you.

I suppose you are right about the "what if one breaks part" but as far as the advice goes... I guess I'm just looking for wild advice, what would you guys get if you had what I have, and wanted more. Opinion based is fine. Thanks for the reply.

Ken56

Have you considered a nice Browning HI POWER (9mm)? How about a nice BUCK MARK (.22) for plinking? Is price a consideration here? HI POWER lists at 1056.00 in Brownings latest catalog and BUCK MARK is from 379.00 to 559.00 depending on model. I really enjoy my BUCK MARK. Its cheap to shoot and reliable.

sharkey

M1 Garand.

It's like music, from the thump in your chest to the ping of the clip. :)

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

You're missing a bolt action in your collection.

Not for hunting, but for long range therapy. If you're into that sort of thing.

So no need for something big like .308 or a 7mm. Something smaller and cheaper like .223 since you've already got one, or even .17 if you don't have any ranges over 100 yards close by like me.

Last edited:

DamonK

I'd say it's time to stock your ammo, then upgrade. A mossy is a good base level shotgun, but there are much hardier guns out there. And maybe a couple different uppers for your AR lower. And deffinately get some .22s in rifle and pistol because these days that about all most can afford to shoot!

Also, I agree with the long range gun idea. A 204 would work nicely, or even 243. I like my 308, and that's a pretty common and cheap caliber(when there's no government subsidised shortage).

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
M1 Garand.

It's like music, from the thump in your chest to the ping of the clip. :)

+1 as well, here's my beauty
symazezy.jpg

You could always go with an AK, you can't go wrong there.
myme5eny.jpg

I always say one should buy as many guns as he/she can comfortably afford to purchase and feed.

HvyMtl

Get a Finnish Mosin Nagant. M39, if you can, get one with an antique receiver, so it is not a firearm under Fed law. 7.62x54r is still cheap to find, and you can reach out and touch someone.