• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any way to get an SBR in WA using a suppressor?

theaero

Quick question: If the total length is legal with a suppressor, can you have a <16" rifle?

Thanks in advance.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Are you asking if an SBR is legal in WA? The last map I saw said they were not.

If not, but since a suppressor is, the suppressor would have to be permanently attached to the rifle if it became an SBR without it attached.

That would be the way I would understand it.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Sorry, no true SBRs in WA.

RCW 9.41.190

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.
As MAC indicated, you can get to similar end results legally. In .22 rimfire you could look at the Tactical Solution 10/22 SB-X barrel. I've thought about having something similar made for an AR. Note that this way you do not need to permanently attach the suppressor. Works very well, I have the barrel mentioned above.

Good luck.

Last edited:

theaero

Thanks for the info. I'm actually asking for the purposes of my next 10/22 build!

Sorry, no true SBRs in WA.

RCW 9.41.190

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or to assemble or repair any machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.
As MAC indicated, you can get to similar end results legally. In .22 rimfire you could look at the Tactical Solution 10/22 SB-X barrel. I've thought about having something similar made for an AR. Note that this way you do not need to permanently attach the suppressor. Works very well, I have the barrel mentioned above.

Good luck.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
RCW 9.41.010

Terms defined.
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.

(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(2) "Barrel length" means the distance from the bolt face of a closed action down the length of the axis of the bore to the crown of the muzzle, or in the case of a barrel with attachments to the end of any legal device permanently attached to the end of the muzzle.

(17) "Short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle by any means of modification if such modified weapon has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

RCW 9.41.190

Unlawful firearms — Exceptions.

theaero

Does anyone know how "permanent" the law requires? Pinned? Welded, or does silver solder appease the govt? Loctite red is advertised as permanent... suppose I can't just use somma that on the threads? :banana:

Thanks for all the responses so far.

jeeper1

I wonder if it was registered as a DD if you could have a short barrel on it?

massivedesign

Does anyone know how "permanent" the law requires? Pinned? Welded, or does silver solder appease the govt? Loctite red is advertised as permanent... suppose I can't just use somma that on the threads? :banana:

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Pinned and welded seems to be the consensus with the SOT's...

Flopsweat

Didn't look it up, but what about an AOW in WA? Seems to me making an AOW might be easier than SBR route.

I saw a 12 gauge pistol available at Wades a year or two ago. The price included AOW paperwork, if memory serves. I don't have a reference to RCW for you though. It's probably more the fact that they are not specifically banned like SBR and SBS are, so it's probably not going to be easy to look up.

Sparky508

I saw a 12 gauge pistol available at Wades a year or two ago. The price included AOW paperwork, if memory serves. I don't have a reference to RCW for you though. It's probably more the fact that they are not specifically banned like SBR and SBS are, so it's probably not going to be easy to look up.

Yea thats what got me thinking, AOW is cheaper and the lines between an AOW and SBR are easy to cross. Just thinking that might be an avenue for the OP to run with.

sirpuma

There is only one way to legally have SBR, SBS and FA in Washington. Get a WA business license, WA State Dealers License, the Class 07 FFL and Class 02 SOT. Then in the regular course of business you are clear to possess and your business can own the particular banned NFA items. However you have to be in the business of repair, manufacture or sale of those NFA items to locations outside of WA. But should you plan on testing such items outside of your place of business you can expect heavy LEO response, just ask Marcus Carter of KRRC.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I wanted an AR SBR and did not like the large amount of money and hassle it takes to get one. I went the AR pistol route and I am very happy. I have built several and they are great. Barrel length does not matter unless you want a pistol grip up front (it needs an overall length req).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wanted an AR SBR and did not like the large amount of money and hassle it takes to get one. I went the AR pistol route and I am very happy. I have built several and they are great. Barrel length does not matter unless you want a pistol grip up front (it needs an overall length req).

That also makes it an AOW with a $200 registration for manufacturing one, does it not?