Thread: Portland Hospital shooting?

Portland Hospital shooting?

Saw this on the Good Morning America "Ticker Tape". Details?

No details really, waiting to hear more...

LINK to KATU.com

"Around 9:30 p.m. officers received a report of an armed man in the parking lot of Portland Adventist Medical Center in Southeast Portland"

Lock down of the hospital, confront and shoot the man. "It’s not yet clear what exact circumstances led to the officers shooting."

LINK to FOX12
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Am I just dense? What exactly does "lock down the hospital" mean? No one in or out? Imprisoned? An armed man IN THE PARKING LOT, and already being confronted by police, authorizes a lock down of a nearby building (presumably large with maybe thousands of people inside)?

Can they justify this authority if it is a "public building" owned by the government?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Am I just dense? What exactly does "lock down the hospital" mean? No one in or out? Imprisoned? An armed man IN THE PARKING LOT, and already being confronted by police, authorizes a lock down of a nearby building (presumably large with maybe thousands of people inside)?

Can they justify this authority if it is a "public building" owned by the government?
    I've often wondered what would happen when a knowledgeable citizen refused to be "locked down" in a building at the whim of some government bureaucrat because of some "trigger" (no pun intended) event. I do believe that would be a seizure without probable cause thus violating the fourth amendment if done by government. Kidnapping and/or unlawful imprisonment if done by private parties.
    Last edited by We-the-People; 02-20-2013 at 02:38 AM.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

I am a little confused by this. The hospital is not a "public building owned by the government". It is owned privately. And public schools owned by the government go in lockdown all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethrotull View Post

I am a little confused by this. The hospital is not a "public building owned by the government". It is owned privately. And public schools owned by the government go in lockdown all the time.
    The hospital is more likely to NOT be privately owned than it is to be privately owned. At least in the eyes of technical law. Many hospitals are government owned or susidized. Many more receive government funding. Either of these conditions blurrs the lines of "private ownership". Even if the hospital is "privately" owned, if it recieves government funding, subsidies, etc., the ability to claim it is "private property" becomes a matter of debate.
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    The hospital is more likely to NOT be privately owned than it is to be privately owned. At least in the eyes of technical law. Many hospitals are government owned or susidized. Many more receive government funding. Either of these conditions blurrs the lines of "private ownership". Even if the hospital is "privately" owned, if it recieves government funding, subsidies, etc., the ability to claim it is "private property" becomes a matter of debate.
    Adventist is a nonprofit run by the Church. Public hospitals make up around 20% of all hospitals and are on the decline. http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-...st-facts.shtml

I think it is a common misconception that the majority are public institutions.

Banned
    I'm putting my money on that the guy was a gang member ... all the lock downs in hospitals I have witnesses are due to gang on gang shootings.. to keep the rival gang from coming in the hospital while the first gang is in there due to their member being in the ER.

Now nobody cares about gang members being shot by police so maybe the press just left out this tid-bit of information .. otherwise no one would care about the story as it is a story that has happened many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm putting my money on that the guy was a gang member ... all the lock downs in hospitals I have witnesses are due to gang on gang shootings.. to keep the rival gang from coming in the hospital while the first gang is in there due to their member being in the ER.

Now nobody cares about gang members being shot by police so maybe the press just left out this tid-bit of information .. otherwise no one would care about the story as it is a story that has happened many times before.
    Been determined for a few days he was a multiple time looser. Now it just came out he was using a stolen phone to simulate a gun. http://www.kptv.com/story/21291929/p...o-simulate-gun

Do you post because you like to hear the sound of your keyboard?

I've often wondered what would happen when a knowledgeable citizen refused to be "locked down" in a building at the whim of some government bureaucrat because of some "trigger" (no pun intended) event. I do believe that would be a seizure without probable cause thus violating the fourth amendment if done by government. Kidnapping and/or unlawful imprisonment if done by private parties.
    Sacred Heart Hospital had this happen awhile back...what they did was everyone had to use only the ER exit/entrance, where the SPD had an officer posted. In the Sacred Heart incident they never did find anyone with any gun.

Adventist is a nonprofit run by the Church. Public hospitals make up around 20% of all hospitals and are on the decline. http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-...st-facts.shtml

I think it is a common misconception that the majority are public institutions.
    Hence the "technical" part of my statement. If a hospital takes government funding of any sort, including subsidies, the line becomes blurred as to whether they can claim private status. The argument can even be made that the tax expemptions given to such organizations are subsidies. I think we are still in the "totality of the circumstances" phase of determining private/public status but just because a private corporation owns a hospital does not automatically mean that it isn't "public".
    Beretta92FSLady

Hence the "technical" part of my statement. If a hospital takes government funding of any sort, including subsidies, the line becomes blurred as to whether they can claim private status. The argument can even be made that the tax expemptions given to such organizations are subsidies. I think we are still in the "totality of the circumstances" phase of determining private/public status but just because a private corporation owns a hospital does not automatically mean that it isn't "public".
    I think you are grasping at shoestrings. There are my private companies that get government subsidies that you couldn't make any case for being "public".

Lots of "ifs" flying around here.

I think you are grasping at shoestrings. There are my private companies that get government subsidies that you couldn't make any case for being "public".

Lots of "ifs" flying around here.
    There is a case to be made, depending on the circumstances. In the case of hospitals it can often be a strong case. The same is true of locations that are operated "privately" by companies that contract with government agencies. There are numerous schemes to try to remove the appearance of public ownership, most are legally flawed.
    Beretta92FSLady