Thread: Any point in OC without CHL? (Schools)

Any point in OC without CHL? (Schools)

I live in Ohio, am over 21, and just purchased my first handgun. It will probably be a month or 2 before I go through the process to get my CCW, but in the meantime I was still excited that I could at least OC even if not while driving. Then I discovered the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. While my neighborhood is far enough away from any schools, there are very few businesses I go to that aren't within 1000 ft. of one. I obviously don't want to be convicted of a felony, but because of the density of schools in urban and suburban areas, is there any point to open carry before I get my CCW?

Private property is exempt from the GFSZ.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.
    Alright! I suppose I will try to find the funds for a class+permit faster now!

Banned
    To continue the previous post:

...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    To continue the previous post:

...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?
    If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.
    I learn from you all the time--that you post unsubstantiated crap, virtually never cite the law when you make pronouncements about it, and never, ever, ever put your money where your mouth is.

If you contend that such a suit can be brought, bring it.

*waits*

*expects nothing more than excuses*