Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Any point in OC without CHL? (Schools)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3

    Any point in OC without CHL? (Schools)

    I live in Ohio, am over 21, and just purchased my first handgun. It will probably be a month or 2 before I go through the process to get my CCW, but in the meantime I was still excited that I could at least OC even if not while driving. Then I discovered the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. While my neighborhood is far enough away from any schools, there are very few businesses I go to that aren't within 1000 ft. of one. I obviously don't want to be convicted of a felony, but because of the density of schools in urban and suburban areas, is there any point to open carry before I get my CCW?

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Private property is exempt from the GFSZ.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  3. #3
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

    OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

    OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.
    Alright! I suppose I will try to find the funds for a class+permit faster now!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    To continue the previous post:

    ...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    To continue the previous post:

    ...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?
    If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.
    I learn from you all the time--that you post unsubstantiated crap, virtually never cite the law when you make pronouncements about it, and never, ever, ever put your money where your mouth is.

    If you contend that such a suit can be brought, bring it.

    *waits*

    *expects nothing more than excuses*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •