• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any point in OC without CHL? (Schools)

sadgamerjoe

I live in Ohio, am over 21, and just purchased my first handgun. It will probably be a month or 2 before I go through the process to get my CCW, but in the meantime I was still excited that I could at least OC even if not while driving. Then I discovered the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. While my neighborhood is far enough away from any schools, there are very few businesses I go to that aren't within 1000 ft. of one. I obviously don't want to be convicted of a felony, but because of the density of schools in urban and suburban areas, is there any point to open carry before I get my CCW?

OC for ME

True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.

sadgamerjoe

True, private property is exempt, but, that is not what the OP is asking. He does not have a CCW permit, so he is not exempt from the law until he gets a CCW permit when he is not on "private" property.

OP, until you meet the requirements of the law, avoid all those 1000' circles on a map of your area.

Alright! I suppose I will try to find the funds for a class+permit faster now! :D

eye95

To continue the previous post:

...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?

davidmcbeth

Banned
To continue the previous post:

...unless you are volunteering to be a test case. We are still desperately in need of a someone to volunteer to go to Hell and back to establish the unconstitutionality of GFSZs. Care to volunteer?

If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.

eye95

If one wishes to test the constitutionality (fed constitution) one does not need to violate the law. One can simply file a federal case. So the civil and criminal liabilities can be zero. Follow my postings, you may learn something you did not know before.

I learn from you all the time--that you post unsubstantiated crap, virtually never cite the law when you make pronouncements about it, and never, ever, ever put your money where your mouth is.

If you contend that such a suit can be brought, bring it.

*waits*

*expects nothing more than excuses*