Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Tattoos/Piercings/Hair Style/Facial Hair while OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member GrizzlySG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Davie Co. NC
    Posts
    19

    Tattoos/Piercings/Hair Style/Facial Hair while OC

    Does any of this ever affect you while your OC? Do you think because of how you choose to present each of these if applicable, does it affect how people think of you as a OCer? Now I know none of this should mater. as I have a full sleeve and VERITAS tatted on my hand, but still dress nice, loafers, slacks, dress shirts. And no real issues yet.

  2. #2
    Regular Member J-SiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Monroe, NC
    Posts
    119
    dude its always better to blend in
    but I myself have several tattoos on forearms etc and an eyebrow ring


    best advice is to just be calm and aware of your surroundings

    dont be messing around acting a fool or anything and you should have no problems

  3. #3
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlySG View Post
    Does any of this ever affect you while your OC? Do you think because of how you choose to present each of these if applicable, does it affect how people think of you as a OCer? Now I know none of this should mater. as I have a full sleeve and VERITAS tatted on my hand, but still dress nice, loafers, slacks, dress shirts. And no real issues yet.
    Ohhh Christ not this PC doodoo again...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Regular Member GrizzlySG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Davie Co. NC
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Ohhh Christ not this PC doodoo again...
    Thanks for the input, I'm glad your a book of information. DERP

  5. #5
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Speaking strictly as someone who has no tattoos, no piercings, and things they're the height of poor fashion taste.....

    Some of the nicest people I've met have been heavily tatted and pierced and some of the worst a-holes have had pristine unmarked skin. I let outer looks outshine inner qualities once and that ended up with the Former Mrs Fallschirmjäger. Since then, I only hope that I've learned that looks do not necessarily indicate attitude.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 02-18-2013 at 06:00 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member J-SiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Monroe, NC
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    looks do not necessarily indicate attitude.
    +1

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlySG View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'm glad your a book of information. DERP
    This has been a overdone topic on here where the only outcome is hurt feelings. What other people think do not matter how a person OC's the act itself is what bothers antis, not how a person is dressed, or groomed, or tattoos. People that are pro OC could care less, people who are anti OC will find any excuse to point fingers. We have enough police in this country without OC Fashion Police.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  8. #8
    Regular Member GrizzlySG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Davie Co. NC
    Posts
    19

    Tattoos/Piercings/Hair Style/Facial Hair while OC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This has been a overdone topic on here where the only outcome is hurt feelings. What other people think do not matter how a person OC's the act itself is what bothers antis, not how a person is dressed, or groomed, or tattoos. People that are pro OC could care less, people who are anti OC will find any excuse to point fingers. We have enough police in this country without OC Fashion Police.
    I could care less about people's dress I was just asking reactions people may have gotten from how they dress


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Keep calm and carry a firearm.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlySG View Post
    I could care less about people's dress I was just asking reactions people may have gotten from how they dress


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why care? If you could care less how other people dress why worry about those that would point fingers?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by J-SiN
    dude its always better to blend in
    +1
    The more "normal" someone perceives you as being, the less likely they'll get upset by a quirk of appearance or behaviour. (Doesn't just apply to OC.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  11. #11
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Why care? If you could care less how other people dress why worry about those that would point fingers?
    If someone is that worried about how other people are going to react to them, it is unlikely that they will have tattoos, piercings, etc. Just my $0.02.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    2,489
    lol. If I was concerned with what people thought about my appearance I wouldn't be OCing in the first place.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

    We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

  13. #13
    Regular Member fjpro2a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    300

    Come on!

    Can't can't can't we all just get along?

  14. #14
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    lol. If I was concerned with what people thought about my appearance I wouldn't be OCing in the first place.
    +1
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  15. #15
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    lol. If I was concerned with what people thought about my appearance I wouldn't be OCing in the first place.
    :-) (*thumbs up*)
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    I have a thick beard and long hair I wear in a ponytail. I've had people tell me I'm the kind of person they "expect" to see armed. I'm not quite sure how that works, but it seems to be true. I haven't been questioned about being armed in years (beyond the occasional, "do you need a permit?").

    If you really want to be ignored, I've learned that the biggest "sell" is your ability to walk into a room or down a street like you own the place – as though you know exactly what you're doing, you're exactly where you belong, and nothing is up for discussion.

    That said, I do think piercings on a male will make it harder to be taken seriously. Even at this advanced date, they seem rather childish (and no, this is not coming from a middle-aged person).

    I would never suggest that piercings are an impediment to normal, everyday OC. But I do think they're going to be a greater impediment than some hairstyles, and most well-groomed facial hair, if you wish to pursue to "act like you own the place" approach – which is itself by no means a requisite to successful OC.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I have a thick beard and long hair I wear in a ponytail. I've had people tell me I'm the kind of person they "expect" to see armed. I'm not quite sure how that works, but it seems to be true. I haven't been questioned about being armed in years (beyond the occasional, "do you need a permit?").

    If you really want to be ignored, I've learned that the biggest "sell" is your ability to walk into a room or down a street like you own the place – as though you know exactly what you're doing, you're exactly where you belong, and nothing is up for discussion.

    That said, I do think piercings on a male will make it harder to be taken seriously. Even at this advanced date, they seem rather childish (and no, this is not coming from a middle-aged person).

    I would never suggest that piercings are an impediment to normal, everyday OC. But I do think they're going to be a greater impediment than some hairstyles, and most well-groomed facial hair, if you wish to pursue to "act like you own the place" approach – which is itself by no means a requisite to successful OC.
    I have not seen any OCers with piercings, or at least that could be seen. But it would not bring them anymore attention if the are OCing or not. Some may even want the attention, there is nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have not seen any OCers with piercings, or at least that could be seen. But it would not bring them anymore attention if the are OCing or not. Some may even want the attention, there is nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."
    Let me be clear. I think that piercings on a male attract attention in and of themselves, in a way that merely having a beard or, say, long hair won't (multicolored or spiked hair is another story, of course). Will adding OC to the mix attract more attention? Frankly, I kind of doubt it.

    All I'm saying is there's a way to minimize the attention, and it's the "act like you own the place" approach, and I don't think having a bunch of piercings is going to make that easy for most individuals. Some might manage regardless, if they are inherently of sufficient presence.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    69
    Consider yourselves lucky! I have brown skin and often have a full beard. Yet to have any problems though, racist or otherwise

  20. #20
    State Researcher .40 Cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    COTEP FOREVER!, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."
    That's pretty darn funny...

    This thread comes up about once every couple of months, usually from a new OC'er who is still not comfortable with carrying a weapon openly. Frankly it tends to be a reflection of one's own discomfort their own appearance moreso than the fact that they have a firearm.

  21. #21
    Regular Member ncwabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    rural religious usa
    Posts
    670
    visited gander mtn in fayettville sunday and while searching for a holster for my fnx-9 turned around and came face to face with a young man w/his lip and upper ear pierced, long chain hanging from his belt to his pocket and open carrying his big gun...his friend also had piercings and also was open carrying...it was quite amusing watching ppl stare at the pair open carrying and then see me juggling two firearms trying to discern which holster would fit...while carrying my SW M&P 9 strapped on my right hip.

    carry on young men...

    wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •