• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tattoos/Piercings/Hair Style/Facial Hair while OC

GrizzlySG

Does any of this ever affect you while your OC? Do you think because of how you choose to present each of these if applicable, does it affect how people think of you as a OCer? Now I know none of this should mater. as I have a full sleeve and VERITAS tatted on my hand, but still dress nice, loafers, slacks, dress shirts. And no real issues yet.

J-SiN

dude its always better to blend in
but I myself have several tattoos on forearms etc and an eyebrow ring

best advice is to just be calm and aware of your surroundings

dont be messing around acting a fool or anything and you should have no problems

WalkingWolf

Does any of this ever affect you while your OC? Do you think because of how you choose to present each of these if applicable, does it affect how people think of you as a OCer? Now I know none of this should mater. as I have a full sleeve and VERITAS tatted on my hand, but still dress nice, loafers, slacks, dress shirts. And no real issues yet.
Ohhh Christ not this PC doodoo again... :(

Fallschirjmäger

Speaking strictly as someone who has no tattoos, no piercings, and things they're the height of poor fashion taste.....

Some of the nicest people I've met have been heavily tatted and pierced and some of the worst a-holes have had pristine unmarked skin. I let outer looks outshine inner qualities once and that ended up with the Former Mrs Fallschirmjäger. Since then, I only hope that I've learned that looks do not necessarily indicate attitude.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Thanks for the input, I'm glad your a book of information. DERP

This has been a overdone topic on here where the only outcome is hurt feelings. What other people think do not matter how a person OC's the act itself is what bothers antis, not how a person is dressed, or groomed, or tattoos. People that are pro OC could care less, people who are anti OC will find any excuse to point fingers. We have enough police in this country without OC Fashion Police.

GrizzlySG

This has been a overdone topic on here where the only outcome is hurt feelings. What other people think do not matter how a person OC's the act itself is what bothers antis, not how a person is dressed, or groomed, or tattoos. People that are pro OC could care less, people who are anti OC will find any excuse to point fingers. We have enough police in this country without OC Fashion Police.

I could care less about people's dress I was just asking reactions people may have gotten from how they dress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

I could care less about people's dress I was just asking reactions people may have gotten from how they dress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why care? If you could care less how other people dress why worry about those that would point fingers?

carolina guy

Why care? If you could care less how other people dress why worry about those that would point fingers?

If someone is that worried about how other people are going to react to them, it is unlikely that they will have tattoos, piercings, etc. Just my $0.02.

twoskinsonemanns

lol. If I was concerned with what people thought about my appearance I wouldn't be OCing in the first place.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have a thick beard and long hair I wear in a ponytail. I've had people tell me I'm the kind of person they "expect" to see armed. I'm not quite sure how that works, but it seems to be true. I haven't been questioned about being armed in years (beyond the occasional, "do you need a permit?").

If you really want to be ignored, I've learned that the biggest "sell" is your ability to walk into a room or down a street like you own the place – as though you know exactly what you're doing, you're exactly where you belong, and nothing is up for discussion.

That said, I do think piercings on a male will make it harder to be taken seriously. Even at this advanced date, they seem rather childish (and no, this is not coming from a middle-aged person).

I would never suggest that piercings are an impediment to normal, everyday OC. But I do think they're going to be a greater impediment than some hairstyles, and most well-groomed facial hair, if you wish to pursue to "act like you own the place" approach – which is itself by no means a requisite to successful OC.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I have a thick beard and long hair I wear in a ponytail. I've had people tell me I'm the kind of person they "expect" to see armed. I'm not quite sure how that works, but it seems to be true. I haven't been questioned about being armed in years (beyond the occasional, "do you need a permit?").

If you really want to be ignored, I've learned that the biggest "sell" is your ability to walk into a room or down a street like you own the place – as though you know exactly what you're doing, you're exactly where you belong, and nothing is up for discussion.

That said, I do think piercings on a male will make it harder to be taken seriously. Even at this advanced date, they seem rather childish (and no, this is not coming from a middle-aged person).

I would never suggest that piercings are an impediment to normal, everyday OC. But I do think they're going to be a greater impediment than some hairstyles, and most well-groomed facial hair, if you wish to pursue to "act like you own the place" approach – which is itself by no means a requisite to successful OC.

I have not seen any OCers with piercings, or at least that could be seen. But it would not bring them anymore attention if the are OCing or not. Some may even want the attention, there is nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I have not seen any OCers with piercings, or at least that could be seen. But it would not bring them anymore attention if the are OCing or not. Some may even want the attention, there is nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."

Let me be clear. I think that piercings on a male attract attention in and of themselves, in a way that merely having a beard or, say, long hair won't (multicolored or spiked hair is another story, of course). Will adding OC to the mix attract more attention? Frankly, I kind of doubt it.

All I'm saying is there's a way to minimize the attention, and it's the "act like you own the place" approach, and I don't think having a bunch of piercings is going to make that easy for most individuals. Some might manage regardless, if they are inherently of sufficient presence.

frogfish

Consider yourselves lucky! I have brown skin and often have a full beard. Yet to have any problems though, racist or otherwise :)

.40 Cal

State Researcher
It reminds me of a young man I met at Win Dixie on Big Pine Key Florida. He was about 15 with foot long different color spiked hair. Of course I looked, but maybe a tad to long. He said "What is your problem old man" to which I explained "Well I am sorry for staring, kinda rude on my part. But about 15 years ago I was drunk and had sex with a peahen, I was wondering if you were my son."

That's pretty darn funny...

This thread comes up about once every couple of months, usually from a new OC'er who is still not comfortable with carrying a weapon openly. Frankly it tends to be a reflection of one's own discomfort their own appearance moreso than the fact that they have a firearm.