• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member in N.C.

jsj_297

Hi, just wanted to make a newbie post, I live in Catawba county N.C., Im interested in OC. I have previously held a CHP in N.C. back in the 20th century, but allowed it to lapse, (stupidly) I think I was short on $$$ at the time. But I have recently went to a CHP class in Jan'13 an patiently awaiting my new CHP.

So, when I was in my early 20's I did carry concealed religiously, my fav being a Glock 20, but I would also carry a Beretta 22lr (bobcat I believe) with a few extra mags, just in case. With that said, I have NEVER once carried a pistol in OC style, on my person. I have driven to ranges, etc etc with it on the passenger seat in the car of course. But I will be honest, I am a little apprehensive in carrying my pistol open on my belt in public.

I believe my concern is because my lack of knowledge of OC R&R's in N.C., especially in these days and ages of everybody playing "tattle tale" and causing trouble for no real reason. So, I definitely will study OC legal practices in N.C. before I attempt it.

Well, anyways, nice to be a member, and look forward to learning and sharing as much as possible!

-Jeff

WalkingWolf

Welcome to OCDO, yes you should take this thread to NC forums.

I to once had a permit, because I never concealed and a new federal law, I let it lapse. I always OC when I carry, I hope you get your feet wet OCing. Before the concealed law the only way to carry was OC, and back then there were a lot more OCers. The trend is returning, and as far as I have seen accepted in most areas of NC. Just learn where you cannot carry and you should be fine, and can save a lot of money on the privilege card.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO! I carry openly in Catawba and surrounds a few times a year, as my parents live in Catawba. I've never had any issues there.

Pulp

The wife and I just spent a couple of weeks in Catawba County with her sister and bro-in-law. Sure 'nuff pretty little ol' place y'all got down there. I just wish y'all could straighten out some of those roads.:D

We were just off Campbell Road, near Maiden. Maybe you heard us shooting a couple of Sunday's ago.:D