Thread: Sitting here cleaning my mags,..

Sitting here cleaning my mags,..

Look what I found. I was curious for the M&p, if I should just get a stock replacement, or would there be a aftermarket that would be better. I have no idea how it got bent. I put 100 rounds on it, and I'm shocked there wasn't a ftf.

.45 or bust

I'd try calling S&W first. You might get lucky. It all depends on their mood at the time, but for a cheap part, your odds go up.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I don't see a problem. The right mag spring isn't straight; so what?

As long as it still puts the right about of pressure on the follower, it will feed properly. It resides inside the magazine, where the follower is guided up at the right angle.

The worst that might happen, after several thousand cycles, is that the spring might get a worn spot.

See. This is why I don't clean my magazines. They work just fine when you don't know that the spring might be bent.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Look what I found. I was curious for the M&p, if I should just get a stock replacement, or would there be a aftermarket that would be better. I have no idea how it got bent. I put 100 rounds on it, and I'm shocked there wasn't a ftf.
    Good thing you have never seen an Army issued magazine. I swear to God, some of the ones I had were leftovers from Nam they were so warped.

Although leftovers can be good. The USS Missouri put some SERIOUS rounds down range in Desert Storm.

Re: Sitting here cleaning my mags,..

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I don't see a problem. The right mag spring isn't straight; so what?

As long as it still puts the right about of pressure on the follower, it will feed properly. It resides inside the magazine, where the follower is guided up at the right angle.

The worst that might happen, after several thousand cycles, is that the spring might get a worn spot.
    Well, the reason I open the magazine, was after the 100, I reloaded to go again, when the wife called me for help. I decided to remove the ammo, as I was going inside, when I noticed something didn't feel right. It was like, the ammo was just suspended in place.

I got to the last two rounds, and you could shake the magazine, and hear the ammo rattle. After getting the last two out, I noticed the follower had remained in place about four loads deep.

I did clean it, and loaded and cycled 20 rounds. Other than now that magazine being tighter getting the last round in compared to the others two, it's ran fine.

I was just thinking, I could pick up a spring for $10-20 dollars. I would just use that magazine with the spring it in now around the house for target shooting.

.45 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cwohardy View Post

Although leftovers can be good. The USS Missouri put some SERIOUS rounds down range in Desert Storm.
    That's 'cause they change their springs regularly ..

Hi Joe, how are your springs ....

Hey, that's kinda personal !
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 02-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Did you stuff too many rounds in it.

I would replace it if you can find a spring.

Try Brownells might be really tough now.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Did you stuff too many rounds in it.

I would replace it if you can find a spring.

Try Brownells might be really tough now.

The spring is probably just fine ... he would have to measure its spring constant to see...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The spring is probably just fine ... he would have to measure its spring constant to see...
    Probably is not good enough for me in a self defense arm. The least I do is shift the mag to the practice only bunch.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Is it causing/has it caused any problems? If so, I'd give their customer service a call. I have a 5906 from 1993, and the mag disconnect safety recently stopped working while in single-action. Within an hour of my email, they sent me a prepaid label to have it shipped and fixed.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

It's a spring. They bend. Bend it back.

That's what the factory will do, then use it as a replacement.

Re: Sitting here cleaning my mags,..

I'm just going to have it replaced. I'll look on some prices. It's no big deal, and until it's replaced, it will serve as my practice magazine.

It's worked since cleaning the spring, inside of the magazine, and a very light coat of oil on my finger to apply it on the spring. It was just weird to see it that way.

.45 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    It's a spring. They bend. Bend it back.

That's what the factory will do, then use it as a replacement.
    Don't think so they just toss them and pull another out of the parts bin. Too much trouble to go through for a 50 cent part.

Of all the factory armmorer courses I have went through that was standard procdure for small bad parts throw them away replace with new.

More then likely they would toss the whole mag and just send you a new one.